Numbers soon?

DepWraith

Established Member
The 2013 GT500 5.8 hit the On-Road New Vehicle & Engine Certification Program on April 13, 2012...so following that timeline the 2020 should be hitting real soon?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The 2013 GT500 5.8 hit the On-Road New Vehicle & Engine Certification Program on April 13, 2012...so following that timeline the 2020 should be hitting real soon?
You tell us. You have been so on target for the past 3 years.

13 GT500 was also released May/June 2012. Slight difference in release date for the 2020.

LostM

Established Member
When is the deadline to file mpg to the epa?
Good question, I just sent an email off to NHTSA asking such questions. But i checked their system and data is only good up until 2016.. Government, so efficient yet again:
CAFE PIC Manufacturer

Also, I just saw this:
http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title49-chapter329&edition=prelim

§32907. Reports and tests of manufacturers
(a) Manufacturer Reports.—(1) A manufacturer shall report to the Secretary of Transportation on—
(A) whether the manufacturer will comply with an applicable average fuel economy standard under section 32902 of this title for the model year for which the report is made;
(B) the actions the manufacturer has taken or intends to take to comply with the standard; and
(C) other information the Secretary requires by regulation.
(2) A manufacturer shall submit a report under paragraph (1) of this subsection during the 30 days—
(A) before the beginning of each model year; and
(B) beginning on the 180th day of the model year.

Last edited:

bdub85

Established Member
Good question, I just sent an email off to NHTSA asking such questions. But i checked their system and data is only good up until 2016.. Government, so efficient yet again:
CAFE PIC Manufacturer

Also, I just saw this:
http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title49-chapter329&edition=prelim

Good find. On that recent video of the GT500 at the track, the guy from Ford mentioned they will be working the HP numbers up until the deadline to submit a report to the EPA. If we know when that deadline is, we should know roughly when to expect the final HP numbers.

DepWraith

Established Member
You tell us. You have been so on target for the past 3 years.

13 GT500 was also released May/June 2012. Slight difference in release date for the 2020.

Figured I would ask you since you know everything. Way to stay on topic, I see you live in Cali, makes sense now.

conceptmachine

Established Member
Last couple vehicles (GT and and raptor) they waiting until the darn thing was rolling down the assembly line before HP #'s where published. I recon the same will be done here. I'd expect numbers out around fall.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So crazy story about this.

The Ford Performance team brought 6 GT500s with them to test at various tracks a few weeks ago. They wanted short road course (<1.5 mile), medium (1.5-2.5 miles) and long (2.5 miles). Then, after spending a few days doing such, they turned their attention to the drag strip. They ran all 6 GT500s in the 1/8 and in the 1/4, exploring their capabilities and what to expect. They even brought in some freelance "non-professional" drivers to get real world times. Their only complaint they had was the altitude, so they decided to run at 3 different drag strips, all varying in altitude. After they were satisfied that they had compiled a very complete data set on its performance, they took it the NHTSA to get it tested for fuel mileage, safety, etc. They ran the updated fuel mileage test, which I heard it outperformed expectations, followed by a few crash testing to make sure it met at least the minimum requirements set forth by the NHTSA.

After all of these tests, the engineers were satisfied that they knew all of the car's boundaries, limitations, and strengths. They went back to Dearborn to report the findings and present them in a way that would be released to the public. Obviously they had trailer-ed the GT500s from Michigan to the various tracks across the country as to not draw attention to them. Well on the way back to Dearborn, the head data analyst was crunching final numbers and preparing their presentation. They stopped at a gas station to fuel up on more time before finishing their trek. Some time between getting out of the truck, and then back in... @DepWraith had snuck in the cabin and stolen all of the data that was collected.

Ford Motor Company reached out to him and basically begged for it back. Guaranteed him all sorts of crazy things, etc. They wanted it back, it had cost them millions to get it.

I'm sure you're wondering what @DepWraith did with it? Well, he decided to circle jerk with @Kaneda at a princess pinball machine party, and they used the paperwork to clean up the mess.

I bet information will be released within the next 4-6 weeks.

Last edited:

LostM

Established Member
Good find. On that recent video of the GT500 at the track, the guy from Ford mentioned they will be working the HP numbers up until the deadline to submit a report to the EPA. If we know when that deadline is, we should know roughly when to expect the final HP numbers.

I recall that as well. The question is what consitutes the "start of the model year"
If its when ordering begins, info has to be in soon. if its when they start assembly, its gonna be a while
Last couple vehicles (GT and and raptor) they waiting until the darn thing was rolling down the assembly line before HP #'s where published. I recon the same will be done here. I'd expect numbers out around fall.

published by ford, or posted by the epa/nhtsa sites?

DepWraith

Established Member
Again, great contribution to this thread.

Moving on, you said you expect it in the next 4 to 6 weeks...pretty much what I already said when I said "soon".

Thank god we have forum members that have the ability to poke fun at others while actually not providing any helpful information themselves whatsoever.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Again, great contribution to this thread.

Moving on, you said you expect it in the next 4 to 6 weeks...pretty much what I already said when I said "soon".

Thank god we have forum members that have the ability to poke fun at others while actually not providing any helpful information themselves whatsoever.

You're right. I don't ever provide any helpful information, to anyone.

Yes-Quite-Sip.gif

LostM

Established Member
ok, so i got some clarification. I called Mr Mcduffee and asked general questions to start, and then narrowed down to Ford and 2020.
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/cert.php#7

he states that a manufacturer can NOT start delivering vehicles to the dealerships until they have the EPA certification in hand. The statute dictates that they MUST submit their info no less than 30 days prior to the model year, however, they can only use the Jan 1st date 1 time, so the actual 2020 model year is jan 2 2019 through dec 31st 2020. Ford has already submitted their OBDII stuff, which is not tied to the mpg/hp etc etc
Which is why this page already has some manufacturers information it, but not Ford
Subject Top Page: Passenger Car, Light Duty Truck, and Medium Duty Vehicle Executive Orders - 2020

the EPA generally returns that certificate within 30 days from reception. He assumes that Ford being large scale, they will be submitting the info well in advance.

He cited a case/instance where he was contacted by a guy who built a porsche panamera in roughly May, but could not receive the car until Sept since Porsche was delayed in submitting/receiving that certification.

in short, Ford has up until 30 days prior to the 500 rolling off the lots to submit, but likely sometime sooner

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Again the 13 GT500 was being delivered June of 12. So it makes sense the numbers were released a few months prior.
The 2020 GT500 is not going to be released for at least 6 months. I would not be surprised if it’s august or sept engine very shows up.

And yes I know more than you as I actually listen to Nick and Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread