Numbers are in: Whipple Gen 4 2.9

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
780 at the crank? U don't lose 140 whp thru a stick. Ur car isn't making anywhere near 780 hp. Not even close. Ur car is making about 680-690 hp at the crank on E85. On pump gas ur making ta 670 bhp. Pretty good numbers for low boost tho

94slowbra1

Established Member
780 at the crank? U don't lose 140 whp thru a stick. Ur car isn't making anywhere near 780 hp. Not even close. Ur car is making about 680-690 hp at the crank on E85. On pump gas ur making ta 670 bhp. Pretty good numbers for low boost tho
hes making 701 at the tire on e85, so clearly more than 680-690.

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Clutch and 26 spline input shaft needs to be the next items on your list. Like mentioned that stock clutch isn’t going to last long.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Clutch is stock. As far as suspension upgrades: H&R springs, stifflers subframe connectors, maximum motor sports CC plates, 10.5 Cobra wheels in the rear and Nitto NT01 all around. Will do more suspension upgrades next year.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
And you're worried about brakes! Replace that diff cover before it explodes and leaves you stranded. And I'd suggest upgrading to a 26 spline and upgraded retainer sleeve when you do the clutch.

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using the svtperformance.com mobile app

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
And you're worried about brakes! Replace that diff cover before it explodes and leaves you stranded. And I'd suggest upgrading to a 26 spline and upgraded retainer sleeve when you do the clutch.

Lol

But seriously.....could be a world record pull on the stock clutch! I've been on this forum since '08 and cannot recall a stock clutch holding 700+ wheel. Shows how strong that factory unit was! God bless John Coletti.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Lol

But seriously.....could be a world record pull on the stock clutch! I've been on this forum since '08 and cannot recall a stock clutch holding 700+ wheel. Shows how strong that factory unit was! God bless John Coletti.
I've heard of people doing it. They can handle a few glory pulls.

whipple1raptor

Established Member
IMG_1098.JPG
IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_1103.JPG

4sdvenom

Never Enough!
Established Member
Torque looks like it starts to drop of fairly early to me. Could be wrong though but 3800 rpm seems a little low for peak.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I don't really see the TQ dropping off early.....it doesn't drop below 600 until 5000, that's within 4 tq of peak. FLAT. Now is the overall tq peak a little lower than I would have thought with a 701 peak hp number?.....yes. I would have thought it would lay down 650 tq range.

There's a hiccup at 6250....not sure what's happening there. That HP line was really shooting skyward before that happened. Man they pulled that sucker a long ways

whipple1raptor

Established Member
I don't really see the TQ dropping off early.....it doesn't drop below 600 until 5000, that's within 4 tq of peak. FLAT. Now is the overall tq peak a little lower than I would have thought with a 701 peak hp number?.....yes. I would have thought it would lay down 650 tq range.

There's a hiccup at 6250....not sure what's happening there. That HP line was really shooting skyward before that happened. Man they pulled that sucker a long ways

The hiccup they think was due to the stock clutch. When I told them it was stock, which they didn't know... He almost choked.

whipple1raptor

Established Member

The hiccup they think was due to the stock clutch. When I told them it was stock, which they didn't know... He almost choked.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

Yeah, the torque "curve" is nice. Flat, flat, and flat. Holds to where it should and this gen4 2.9 is really starting to make me wonder how long I will go on the 2.3 TVS before I say **** it and do a set of Todd Warren cams and spin the **** out of a 2.9. Only time, and my wallet, will tell :)

whipple1raptor

Established Member
Impressions: this thing pulls. Car is very controllable and feels stock to a certain extent. I did a few pulls today and I just disappeared from everyone. And..... The brakes are fine with this set up. Glad I didn't upgrade while I was getting this done. Maybe go to a 4 piston set up down the line. Didn't want to get on it too much. It rained pretty heavily this morning.

Over all very happy that I did this. Just need to find me a good station for that E!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yeah, the torque "curve" is nice. Flat, flat, and flat. Holds to where it should and this gen4 2.9 is really starting to make me wonder how long I will go on the 2.3 TVS before I say **** it and do a set of Todd Warren cams and spin the **** out of a 2.9. Only time, and my wallet, will tell :)

Nice! Ya, this gen4 makes flat low and mid TQ....but has a nasty top end HP curve. In fact, revving to 6500 doesn't do the HP potential justice....looks like it could rev another 750 with ease and still pile on extra top end power. A set of cams and valvetrain to handle 7250 pulls should produce incredible results, even more than we've seen to this point on factory motors.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Nice! Ya, this gen4 makes flat low and mid TQ....but has a nasty top end HP curve. In fact, revving to 6500 doesn't do the HP potential justice....looks like it could rev another 750 with ease and still pile on extra top end power. A set of cams and valvetrain to handle 7250 pulls should produce incredible results, even more than we've seen to this point on factory motors.
That's the idea. Whipple made a hell of a blower. That is for sure. I've seen Bryan, or whatever his name is, with the black one that runs bottom 9s with a stick running this blower. Its impressive without a doubt. I've always been a "show me", dont tell me kind of person. I've have seen the results on the dyno and on the track. This blower flat out gets it done.
How long before you upgrade to one?

Users who are viewing this thread