NT555R vs NT555RII vs NT05R

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
I have had the 555R's and 555RII's. Obviously the R's hook better in a straight line, but the II's are far superior IMO. I can take corners way better in the II's. I run 305/35/18's on a 10" wheel. Looks perfect.

mach1033

Established Member
Occasionally but cruising.I do the speed limit or a few mph above.Mainly highway and accelerating.
NT05R's being that it is for highway pulls. These tires hook great. Do not drive in the rain I don't care what others have said you WILL be all over the road

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
Well im not going to drive car in the car.However if i go on car events how will i get home if its raining?

So what are we talking difference in NT555R and NT555RII?

Also how do regular NT05s play into the mix?

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Well im not going to drive car in the car.However if i go on car events how will i get home if its raining?

So what are we talking difference in NT555R and NT555RII?

Also how do regular NT05s play into the mix?

NT05's are a great STREET tire. They handle very well and are made to take on water. But if you plan on racing from a dig then it is not for you. I can't comment on the other two tires cause I don't have any experience with them.

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
If im laying into the throttle it will be from a 35 or more push. Im not planning to drop it from a dig neccessarily. Wanting grip but something if i get stuck in rain im on a risky path.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
For what you're wanting to do, to me it seems pointless to be on 100 treadwear tires. You could run some Kuhmo Ecsta's or Faulken Azenis which are still nice sticky tires, but still have some good wear life to them. I used the Azenis on my old Cobra and Z06 for cruising, autocross and drag racing. Not the fastest, not the stickiest... but overall a solid tire.

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
When i get on it or stomping on from a slow roll i want it to grip.Just like cars that are not daily drivers. People have them setup to perform when they want them too.

PushinTheLimit

Established Member
I just don't see any street tire gripping for you at 615 rwhp on the rear. My suggestion to that would be get NT555R's up front and do the 555R drag radials out back. Then you have good front end turning and can hook up from a slow roll. It may not handle quite as good, but still fairly well. And it does work, I've seen guys do this on cobra's at local autocross events and do well.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
i think a 305/35 or 315/35 18" would be a good choice. Those are 26.3" tall tires and that will automatically help you plant that power level versus a shorter rear. Then all you have to do is decide if you want a 100 tread rated tire or are willing to cope with the negativities of a 0 rated tire. I chose the 0 rated toyo tq dr's in 315/35 and it plants the power damn good

mach1033

Established Member

With that power you dont have much choice then. You need an R compound tire. Street tires are just not gonna cut it. Now this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth. I have the NT05's in the front and M/T ET streets in the rear. the front is 275 35 18 and the rear is 305 35 18. The only reason why I didnt go with the NT05R's is because it is a taller tire at 305 45 18 and I dont want my ABS light going off. I have no complaints. You can do what the other member suggested with the nt555r and the 555r DR and keep the same tread pattern. When I was at 605 I had zero grip with a street which is evident in my 1/4 mile time. With DR's it was a totally different story. I was kicked off the track cause I didnt have a cage. If you are wondering why I went to the track with street tires is because I wanted to play someone that I knew was filming me lol. :burnout:

mmustangsrus

boost makes daddy happy
Established Member
555r II`s are made for open track/ auto-x tire ( i have a set & i like them )

i have had some Azenis also and they were great @ the auto-x also

Last edited:

hiimdrummer03

Established Member
I just don't see any street tire gripping for you at 615 rwhp on the rear. My suggestion to that would be get NT555R's up front and do the 555R drag radials out back. Then you have good front end turning and can hook up from a slow roll. It may not handle quite as good, but still fairly well. And it does work, I've seen guys do this on cobra's at local autocross events and do well.

Yeh i knew a few people that autocrossed with that setup and did good.

Whats your thoughts on the NT555R and NT555RII in rear?

i think a 305/35 or 315/35 18" would be a good choice. Those are 26.3" tall tires and that will automatically help you plant that power level versus a shorter rear. Then all you have to do is decide if you want a 100 tread rated tire or are willing to cope with the negativities of a 0 rated tire. I chose the 0 rated toyo tq dr's in 315/35 and it plants the power damn good

Whats all negatives of 0 rated tire?

With that power you dont have much choice then. You need an R compound tire. Street tires are just not gonna cut it. Now this is just my opinion so take it for what its worth. I have the NT05's in the front and M/T ET streets in the rear. the front is 275 35 18 and the rear is 305 35 18. The only reason why I didnt go with the NT05R's is because it is a taller tire at 305 45 18 and I dont want my ABS light going off. I have no complaints. You can do what the other member suggested with the nt555r and the 555r DR and keep the same tread pattern. When I was at 605 I had zero grip with a street which is evident in my 1/4 mile time. With DR's it was a totally different story. I was kicked off the track cause I didnt have a cage. If you are wondering why I went to the track with street tires is because I wanted to play someone that I knew was filming me lol. :burnout:

I can get the NT555R,NT555RII and NT05R in 315/35/17. Whats your thoughts on them if all are same size.
My front are 275/40/17. Should i keep my rears 35 or maybe go up to 40?

555r II`s are made for open track/ auto-x tire ( i have a set & i like them )

i have had some Azenis also and they were great @ the auto-x also

A guy i know mentioned Azenis.

Users who are viewing this thread