NT05R or MT ET Street S/S or MT ET Street R

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Careful on the street I ran mine at mid 20s and it started wearing the center prematurely. I turned it down to teens now and it hooks way better as well.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Lol, you're in my head man! I was looking into a good air pressure to run and found everybody seems to agree 17-20psi is the best pressure to run and feels more stable on the street. I'll let everyone know my results.

On a side note, I'll be at TX2K Friday and Saturday so well get some 60' times.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Yeah, that was my thought also, but seems to be what the majority of users of the ET Street S/S have been stating on the various message boards.

I can understand if it is due to the fact that the center of the tire is bulging out so much that the contact patch is a lot narrower and given how soft the tire is, I wouldn't doubt it too much.

I'll let you know. Car is back together and I'm doing some preliminary tuning of my N2MB WOT box this evening.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The car doesn't corner nearly as well with the ET SS tires at 28 psi compared to the Nitto 555Rs at 28 psi, but I'm running different 17x10.5 rims. Let me know how your testing goes. 20 psi at the track produced significantly more drag.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Well, the tires don't break loose at high speed anymore and surprisingly, they do feel much more stable at highway speed.

I was having issues with the wot box so I didn't get to warm the tires up and as such, they broke loose very badly at low speed.

I've disabled the wot box until I can speak with my tuner about the issues and I'll try to see how they launch when properly warmed up.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Fresh update.

Lund Racing got me a quick tune to tackle the misfire issues that come with using the WOT box so we can be ready for TX2K. Thanks Jon!

So, some preliminary controlled closed course testing with a proper tire warm up showed great results. The tires still break loose on the street from a dig, but I figured as much since the M/T tires do better on the track than the street. Properly warmed up, though, they do grip much better from the launch, although there is still wheelspin. Previously, cold, they back end will get really squirrelly, but with a good warm up, it is much easier to keep it straight. Needless to say, these tires will NOT let you launch hard on the street. I imagine it is because the R2 compound is formulated to grip the rubber laid down on the track as opposed to an unprepped surface. Fortunately, Royal Purple Raceway fully rubber coats the entire length of track. With that said, these tires are literally so you can drive the car to the track, race, then drive home. They are not really meant to be a street drag radial. My NT555s actually perform much better at low speed on the street than these do, but these don't break loose at the higher speeds as the NT555s did. Although they aren't drag radials, the NT555s really did a great job as an all-purpose street tire. I will definitely be picking up a spare set of rear wheels to run the NT555s for street duty.

I'll be at the test and tune this evening getting the car dialed in for the event, so I will update this post again to let you guys know how they perform on the track.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Test and tune was a bust. Everyone kept breaking so most of the night was spent sitting in the lanes. 6 hours and 2 passes. I've got to practice the hole shot as I kept spinning off the line. Best pass (out of two...) was [email protected], with a 2.6 60'. Still, not many cars there trapping 135 or running a manual transmission. With practice, it will get better. The second pass, I feathered it out of the hole a little better and shaved half a second off the 60', but forgot to no-lift shift and missed a gear for a 12.25@125. The tires grabbed fine until the boost fully came in and then started to break loose, but regained traction after I lifted and shifted.

Last edited:

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
When I picked the S/S tires, I read where MT recommended the bias ply instead, but decided to go with these for the streetability. That was a mistake. After speaking with several others making the same power and running manual transmissions, I should have gone with the bias ply.

Apparently, the launch of the car with a manual is too much for the S/S and should only be used with an automatic transmission.

So, I'm going to pick up a set of bias ply and we'll continue.

So, long story short, these are great tires if you are automatic. If you have a stick, go with the bias ply.

edit: Spoke with MT, they recommend the ET Street R Bias. I will pick up a set and try those.

Last edited:

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
Bias Ply tires are going to handle like snot on the street. Mickey Thompson makes all kinds of recommendations that aren't generally followed by experienced racers like not running radial type tires with manual transmissions, running tubes in bias ply tires, little or no burn out required.........blah blah blah.

They make good tires, but their "tech support" and recommendations are questionable. They've been like this for the 20+ years that I've been dealing with them.

lenny127

Established Member
the nt05r work decently ...it also depends how u set up the car .... put a vmp blower on a manual on e85 and expect to hook dropping the clutch and that wont happen .... but decently set up they work well . i make 700 on a centri t56 4.56 out back 14 coyote ...and 40 mph it grabs full power .... 1st will be tricky but second hooks like a mofo .... the power shifts is where the shit goes sideways fast lol

Users who are viewing this thread