NT05 vs Toyo Proxes TQ

eaglesnick

Established Member
I have a 2003 cobra with about 650 rwhp and I am in the martket for some new rear tires I am looking at the NT05 or the Toyo Proxes TQ any help would be much appriciated. I am currently running 285/40 R17 GSD3s, I am looking to go to a 315/35 rear tire.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for the post eaglesnick.

We do not mail order Toyo Tires at this time and unfortunately the NT05R in size 315/35-17 is on back order.

What size are your rear wheels (width and offset)?

eaglesnick

Established Member
Matt,
Thanks for the reply, I am aware you can't mail order Toyo tires, I was just looking to see if you had any input on which tire would give better dry/wet traction for my application. Almost all of my driving is on the street in good weather, but occasionally I will get caught rain so I need some wet traction. I am not looking at the NT05R I am interested in the regular NT05 or the Proxey TQ. As for the rear wheels they are FR500 replicas 10.5X17. Any help/insight would be great.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for clarifying.

The NT05 is a max performance summer tire where the Toyo Proxes TQ is a DOT approved competition drag radial. The two really can't be compared (apples to oranges) since they run in two separate classes.

The NT05 has a stiffer or reinforced carcass, for precision handling and cornering. It has a nice soft compound but it's not the ideal option for off the line traction like a drag radial that uses a semi-radial construction. The NT05 will do better in the wet when compared to any drag radial but again, will not have the same off the line grip. I have seen on multiple boards however, that people do like how the NT05 grips off the line (for a max performance summer tire).

I hope this information helps.

Last edited:

eaglesnick

Established Member
Matt,

Thanks, very helpful. Just out of curiosity how does the NT05 compare to the GSD3s? What would a pair of 315/35 17 NT05 cost me shipped to 08638?

Users who are viewing this thread