Now.....Gears. What Ratio?!!?!!?

Black03COBRA

Guys,

I am inquiring about getting some gears.

I think a 4.10 is a little too steep in our cars but maybe not. Anyone have those? If so, how are they in relation to speed, gear, and rpm aspects?

Does for have like a 3.90 or something close in the high 3 range ratio.

Thanks!:beer:

Black03Venom

Established Member
From what I understand 4:10s are good for bottom end, but if you want a good all-around "boost" go with 3:73s. I don't think you can get anything in between on our axle.

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Black0Three
03DOHC
So they do have DOHC? Where? Website etc.?

Thanks.

I meant they do have 3.90? Sorry.

There's a couple places. Pro 5.0 is selling them now. Motive. I think Richmond. I like FRPP gears but I don't think they have 3.90's.

jtfx6552

Established Member
I like the stock gear ratio. They seem to result in enough torque at the rear wheels to be traction limited even with ET streets or drag radials. If you have many mods, you'll be pushing redline with 4.10's, 118 mph at 6500 in 4th with a 25 inch diameter tire.

Forbidden Snake

Established Member
I will assume you don't have any BPU mods yet (like chip, pulley, exhaust, CAI, etc...) cause if you did, you wouldn't be looking at gears! With these mods, 1st gear is useless you can roast the tires in 2nd gear at will, 3rd gear already accelerates like a biatch, blah, blah, blah... I say don't waste your money on gears unless the car is strickly for race and you'll be running slicks with it. But then again, that's just my opinion....

Last edited:

OverToad

Established Member
Just one toad's opinion, so take it with a grain of salt!! :D

There's a trap that modders fall into, and getting new gears is one of them. With the most basic of mods, your pushing nearly 450 hp, and the '03 Cobra's don't need 4.10's with that kinda power. The tires won't be able to stand up to it, and the car will break loose at will. With all this torque, 3.73's would be the best bet, but now your making a VERY small change in gears for a helluvallota risk and $$$$$$.
For the money spent on the gears, you could put that towards another mod, either performance wise or cosmetic wise, and you'd be alot happier for it.
I was one of those modders, and nearly threw in the 4.10's. I caught myself in time, and put that money towards some Saleen rims to set my ride apart from others.

Again, just my opinion, which may not jive with the way you like to race your car. :beer:

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
I run them and they work fine with ET STreets and 480 rwhp and rwt. Till another 03 beats me I say they work fine.
What ratio are you using? :shrug:

jtfx6552

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
I run them and they work fine with ET STreets and 480 rwhp and rwt. Till another 03 beats me I say they work fine.

Damn, I wish you came to the shootout:lol:

seriously, even with a 26 inch tall tire, 6500 in 4th would be 122 something. Seems like the 4.10 is to steep for 460+rwhp.

A great web page that Bob Cosby turned me onto about what rear gears actually do, and why they can be a "red herring" is here:

http://mclements.net/mrc-PowerTorque.html

JT

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

I have 4.10's.

I still am not convinced JT. You may be right. Until my buddy starts running better than I do I will be happy. If he does, then I'll get some 15 inch Bart wheels and throw on some 29 or 31 inch tall tires.

I haven't been on but two 1/4 tracks, Bristol and Rockingham. I know for sure Rockingham is slick as hell. I run [email protected] with my 1/8 times at [email protected] mph. I run at my local 1/8 tracks at Shadyside and Mooresville with consistent 7.43 at 96 mph. I would hope if I ran those numbers on a 1/4 track I should be well in the 11.5's and I am a very crappy shifter. I probably would have to shift and it may hurt my times. Maybe next year I can make a trip to a big 03 event.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I'm still waiting for FRP to release a 3.90 gear set. That has to be the ideal gear set for the 1/4 mile for these cars, at this point anyway.
C'MON Ford, get with it!!!!!!!!!
Others do have that ratio available, but at the moment, FRP is the brand to use, with respect to ease of installation and trouble free performance. IMHO.
I have not heard anything bad about their product so far.
Does anyone know who actually manufactures the gears for them?

Dana

Users who are viewing this thread