Novi 1000 to 01 Cobra or Novi 2000 ?

MarkZ

Established Member
I have a Paxton Novi 1000 from my 2002 GT with a 2V 4.6. I'm chnaging motors to a 01 Cobra 4.6 DOHC. Does anyone know if I can buy the parts needed to swap it over to the new motor? My other plan was to look for a Paxton Novi 2000 set up for the Cobra, it would have to be CARB compliant, anyone selling?
Thanks
Mark

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Novi 1000 has been discontinued for a while. It's also a very weak blower. You'd max out the blower before you'd max out your engine. Novi 2000 on low boost setting would work, but that's a big boy blower and imo would be a waste to put it on a stock 01 cobra non forged motor that you won't really push past 500rwhp. How much power are you looking to make?

MarkZ

Established Member
I'm only looking to go close to 450 475. I use the car for Open Track days, so big HP is not that important. I really liked the Paxton at the higher RPMs. The 1000 gave me about an extra 130 HP on a stock 4.6 2V, so all I'm looking to ad to the DOHC is another 150-170 with the Paxton. What Paxton would you recommend. What ever I use it has to meet the CARB requirements thanks to CA Smog cops.

blownstang4.6

Established Member
How much did you make on the 2v? I know that blower is maxed around 370rwhp on a stock bolt on 2v. You should be able to squeeze 450rwhp out of it on the 4v. I'd leave it alone then if you can find the parts you need, but it will be pushing around 13psi to get there. If you'd want to upgrade, Vortech owns Paxton so any of their entry level offerings would work. For Paxton other than the 2000 I thing there is only the newer 1200 option. For Vortech I'd recommend any V1/V2/V3 S-SQ-Si.

MarkZ

Established Member
Thanks for the info. The problem is the CARB, none of those meet CA smog requirements. Paxtonused to make a CA legal Novi 2000, so unless something else comes up I'm probably going to look for one of those used.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The only things you'd probably need are the blower bracket, pipe that connects to the intake, and possibly a different coolant crossover. Depending on what you're currently running. You could run a crossover delete and not worry about it. All the other pipes will work.

I prefer Procharger over Paxton/Vortech. But I think only the P1 is carb legal. I ran a D1 out here for a long time though.

MarkZ

Established Member
Paxton used to make a CARB legal Novi 2000 for the 4v motor, but like all good things in CA they discontinued it. I was looking to stick with the Novi only because that's what came on the car new. It was built by Sean Hyland Motorsport in 02 with a 2v motor and the Novi 1000. it ran great until the front straight at AAA Fontana, where it suddenly became a 4.6l boat anchor.
Now that I'm changing to the 4v, it's like starting from scratch and the CARB issue is making it so much harder. Not sure where to go yet, but sure hoping someone has an old CARB legal Novi 2000 sitting around.
Thanks info, I'll put that in my book of 4V notes. I'll start by looking around for the bracket, as far as the pipe to the intake, I'll probably wait until I have the motor in place and see what it takes to make the connection.

Users who are viewing this thread