Not concerned yet, but . . .

1stShelby

Established Member
At a stop light in neutral, depress the clutch and snick it into 1st. Light changes, I hit the accelerator, release the clutch and bang it pops out of gear. That is number 1. A couple weeks later I am in the same position, but this time I have the shifter in my hand with the clutch depressed and pressed into 1st. This time when the light changes I am grinding 1st because it never engaged. That is number 2. Last Saturday after a quick wash in my driveway the same thing happened again. That is number 3. Now every time I stop I have put it in 1st 2 or 3 times before I really believe it is engaged. This is my 7th Mustang, all with manual transmissions, and this has never happened before. Not even once. In the 3 years I drove my 2013 GT500 I missed a shift twice, and both of those were going to 2nd under pretty heavy acceleration. I may be getting old, but I still shouldn't have any issues getting into 1st at a dead stop. Am I the only one?

myshelby3425

Established Member
That happened to me twice. The problem is your not completely putting it into 1st. Make sure it's going in completely and you'll never have the problem again. User error, not the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

krt22

Established Member
I had it happen once when I was rushed at a light, limp wristed it and it popped out

DieselDr

Established Member
The shifter in these things feels weak at best. I sometimes feel like mine isn't in 3rd or 4th all the way. I think it is mostly in the shifter. no popping out issues yet. I only have 400 miles tho.

Cobra Jet 429

Hot Rod Lincoln
Established Member
Aftermarket shifter, and like others said, really stuff that bugger in.
Going from my car with a T5 with a tower style pro 5.0 to my stepdads 09 GT with the factory remote shifter mess... took some getting used to. Same deal with my cousin's 14 gt500.
These remote shifters can be tricky while getting used to it. Now if you have the clutch pressed in all the way, and it still won't go into gear or grinds, you may be loosing fluid from somewhere in the clutch cylinder, or lines, thus, not properly disengaging the clutch from the input shaft.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The shifter in these things feels weak at best. I sometimes feel like mine isn't in 3rd or 4th all the way. I think it is mostly in the shifter. no popping out issues yet. I only have 400 miles tho.

George from MGW is nearing completion of his GT350 shifter. I've seen it and it is almost too nice to have hidden under the car. He's been running one for a few months now and will be testing at VIR this week. When you see it you're going to want one, bad!

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I can't imagine you aren't putting it in gear properly. Maybe you are? What's the harm in having the dealer take a look at it and confirm or refute for you? Then investigate after market.

1stShelby

Established Member
Yeah, it is definitely something I don't take for granted anymore. Every time I stop I am checking it 2 or 3 times to make sure it is actually engaged.

Users who are viewing this thread