North Carolina Help Please

BittenInBama

Established Member
The wife and I are planning a trip to the N Carolina area in the spring. I have to be I Charlotte for 4 days, so we are going to extend the trip and do some sight seeing.
Thinking of coming from maybe Ashville to Winston Salem and across to Elizabeth City then toward Kitty Hawk, New Bern, and generally back toward Charlotte for my meetings.
Looking for must see places, food (esp local non-franchise favorites), etc. No real agenda. Wife LOVES to hit old antique shops.
Open to route suggestions, cautions, whatever. Neither of us have been to this area before so....
Will be late March 2022

Thanks for any help!

dwest731

Established Member
Little town called Cameron is big for antiques, plus it’s close to Pinehurst if either of you are golfers. The NC zoo is the largest in the world plus tons of pottery and antiques in that area. The zoo and shops there are about 30 mins away from Greensboro area. That’s on i40, that runs the length of NC.

JimCSHO

Established Member
We lived in Winston Salem for 4 years (moved back to Michigan in June 2021).

Lots of great restaurants there. Our favorite place to go is Jolo Winery, just a little north next to Pilot Mountain. Great staff, great wine, good food, and a great view.

Downtown Winston we liked Foothills brew pub. I just read that some of the other places downtown we used to go closed.

If you want the best steak, go to Ryan's Steakhouse. It is near Wake Forest and behind some other buildings so a little hard to find. It sits on some woods though so a very surprising setting.

BittenInBama

Established Member
Thanks for those! Sounds like we might need to try Ryan's. I do love me a good steak!!

I'm a casual aviation fan, Kitty Hawk immediately sounded like a must but after looking at pics the site looks kinda sparse. Is it worth the time? Anyone visited there?

SHOdown220

Established Member
What will you be driving? Some great driving roads in the mountains, highway 221 from blowing rock to linville, little switzerland, etc etc. Any amount of time spent on the blue ridge parkway is a good time. Great views, great road. Biltmore is nice to go to in asheville, grandfather mountain and the "mile high swinging bridge" is a great spot to visit, lots of places at the outer banks for sight seeing. Touring the battleship in wilmington is pretty awesome. I wouldn't waste much time in winston salem to be honest. I lived near and worked in winston for years, not much to see if you ask me. If you're looking to spend time in a city and do those types of things spend that time in Charlotte, not winston.

BittenInBama

Established Member
Lincoln Corsair.
Was thinking Winston Salem direction pretty much. Haven't seen a lot that makes me want to stop.
Have visited the USS Alabama in Mobile a couple time , so another battleship tour might be cool too

fangin2u

Established Member
I was born in NC and reared in Elizabeth City I have lived in Charlotte and Kill Devil Hills. Dining in Charlotte try Bang Bang Burgers, in EC try Cypress Creek Grill and on the Outer Banks try the Black Pelican. The Wright Brothers Memorial is in Kill Devil Hills and a great historic attraction.

BittenInBama

Established Member
One further question:
Once in Charlotte, what are a couple local eateries that are must go to? Esp BBQ. Open to most anything else as well. Should be in Charlotte 4 days w morning and evenings free to visit away from hotel

geoffmt

Established Member
Premium Member
+1 on the biltmore estate! Amazing place. My wife’s favorite is the Grove park inn
Plus for Charlotte I would go get a tour of Robbie Gordon’s speed energy shop for the stadium super trucks

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BittenInBama

Established Member
Thanks again!

Any other suggestions, please continue to throw them my way. I know it's still early but...

LoL, I'm kinda looking forward to trying Carolina BBQ. Had BBQ in many states so far but never N or S Carolina.

Looking like the Biltmore is on the list as well as the Mustang Museum, but that's about the only things that are looking like for sure so far

Users who are viewing this thread