Normal operating temps?

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
Hey all, new to the 4v world and have a few questions.

The car in question is a 97 cobra. IMRC delete, EGR delete, COP swap, and more that I'm probably missing.

Now, I bought this car a little over a week ago, and ran into an overheating issue driving it home on the interstate messing around with a buddy in his SRT8 charger. I had found the radiator cap had failed, and not allowed any cooling system pressure to build, and would leak. After blowing most of my coolant out and overheating I got pulled over and let the car cool down for a little bit. The scanner I had with me showed ECT of around 235°f. Plenty hot, and possibly warping heads. After that whole fiasco, I got the cooling system re-filled and burped after replacing cap. I had done some diagnosing and believed to have had a plugged radiator as well in which I swapped out with an OE replacement for now.

Now that I have a little history of my personal experience, onto my question. I'm seeing coolant temps of 196-210°f while cruising, or under light acceleration. The temps spike to 220°f under a pull, but immediately come back down. Ambiant air temps have been anywhere from 20-40°f on the days I've driven it. From what I have read, the factory thermostat is 192°f. The temperatures ive seen, and am seeing seem to be a bit on the high side. The fan is kicking on and off like I believe its supposed to. I dont want to just slap a thermostat in and hope for the best. I'm not certain I didnt warp a head, and blow a head gasket. I plan on tearing the engine down at some point in the future and installing forged internals for boost. However I'd rather it be later than sooner. I'm a diesel tech by trade and have no issues diagnosing things. However, these cars are a whole new ball of wax for me. Thanks guys.

96GT226410

Established Member
One of the first things I did was get a 170° thermostat and set my LOW/HIGH fan temps to 180/184 in my tune. I'd check for a bad head gasket if I were you. If you did warp a head you might as well do a C head swap when you're rebuilding you engine.

Have fun and congrats on the new Cobra. Any mods done to yours?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Did you refill the system by using the bung in the crossover tube? That's very important on the 4 valves.

Your temps sound a little bit high, but not too bad if your system is otherwise stock.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
One of the first things I did was get a 170° thermostat and set my LOW/HIGH fan temps to 180/184 in my tune. I'd check for a bad head gasket if I were you. If you did warp a head you might as well do a C head swap when you're rebuilding you engine.

Have fun and congrats on the new Cobra. Any mods done to yours?

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app
I plan on the 180° t-stat and a tune at some point. I'm not certain it isnt blown... But, thatll be a post for another day.

It's got a laundry list of mods.
Did you refill the system by using the bung in the crossover tube? That's very important on the 4 valves.

Your temps sound a little bit high, but not too bad if your system is otherwise stock.

Yes, used the crossover bung to bleed it. Made a damn mess doing so. Lol. I've seen some people saying it's not abnormal to see those temps, but I was a little concerned and wanted some verification.

Thanks guys!

ZEN357

Established Member
First thing I do with any new car is replace the Thermostat and adjust the fans. I'd go with a 180 degree thermostats and adjust the fans to kick on at 196 and off at 186.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
First thing I do with any new car is replace the Thermostat and adjust the fans. I'd go with a 180 degree thermostats and adjust the fans to kick on at 196 and off at 186.
The 180° thermostat is next in line. I'll have to find a way to adjust fans. Car has a Diablo i2 tuner in it now. But I dont like diablo, so that will get changed...

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Best way has been what everyone is getting at. T-stat and fan settings.
Upgraded radiator is just a bonus and some added capacity.

nomoretickets

Established Member
I would be slightly worried about the temps spiking up while you do a pull, but I could just be misunderstanding what you are typing. Typically, watching your temp gauge go up while hitting it is a sign that a head-gasket is letting cylinder vapor into the cooling system. So if that is what you are describing seeing, I would do an oil change and check for coolant mixing, or do a leak down. If Im just misunderstanding, and you are saying temps go up after a pull, then thats not totally out of the ordinary. These motors run warm, and the temps fluctuate fairly quickly.

_Lariat

_lariat on insta
Established Member
As it sits
IMG_20181125_125723_108.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ZEN357

Established Member
Back years ago when I owned an 1984 Trans-Am and a 1991 Z/28 I ran a 160 degree Thermostat in them. The Trans-Am had a Clutch fan so I didn't needed to have a chip but the Z/28 had dual electric fans so I switched the temperature switch and added the stage 2 Hypertech chips. On both of them I ran a Be Cool all Aluminum radiator as well. The Z/28's fans would kick on at 176 and off at 166. I never had cooling problems with either after that. Wish I still had both cars!!! :(

Users who are viewing this thread