Normal and Track Key

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
Just picked up a new 13 BOSS #2005 in Grabber Blue. I would like to know others experience with the key situation, normal and track key. The dealership gave me one silver key and one red key. The red key is not activated. Was I supposed to get 2 of each type? The salesman made it sound like the red key I got was a bonus. What is other owners experience out there.

86Fbody

Established Member
The red key is what they will use if you activate the trackey, so yes you were meant to get two.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
So I still have to pay for the software ($302), and the loading onto the computer (1 hr labor). Pictures I have seen even on Fords site show (2) red keys and one silver. Even my 06 GT came with 2 keys, in effect, I have no spare, if I get the red one activated. Seems like you should get two normal keys, and one red key.

cbj5259

Established Member
Technically you have two "normal" keys right now since the red key is not active. Get the software from Tousley Ford...$220 from them as opposed to $302 at your local dealership. They end up mailing you an extra red key, however, only one red key can be programmed from what I understand. So the second red key is useless. Trust me...the regular key will go in the drawer.

Sent from my sharona

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
Pretty much what everyone already said.

You get 2 keys (1 red 1 silver) with the car. You then pay for the Track Key software and install at a later date if you so desire.

The dealer did not hold anything back, but he certainly didn't give you "a bonus". He did what he was supposed to do.

BTW, you can use the red key right now, but it will just work as a regular key.

Tyler72

Established Member
Thanks guys, will order it today!

Read my thread before you do... You may decide its not worth it for you. Absolutely no difference in power, basically the only real benefits are the launch control & the lopey idle sounds decent. Other than that, I can't tell enough difference to justify spending any money for it.

May93

Established Member
One would think that with the price of the car the track key software would be part of the deal.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
Read my thread before you do... You may decide its not worth it for you. Absolutely no difference in power, basically the only real benefits are the launch control & the lopey idle sounds decent. Other than that, I can't tell enough difference to justify spending any money for it.

I here ya, as I do more research I am moving towards a custom tune, the factory tune in the car sucks, its got a bad flat spot when free revving, and is jerky when abruptly letting off the throttle on the highway. Runs great under power though.

86Fbody

Established Member

Have you tracked the car with both keys to tell the difference, or just street driving?

Tyler72

Established Member
Well... Kinda track. I ran the cherohala skyway & then deals gap with both keys. The roads are very much like an aggressive road course, & I couldn't really tell any difference other than slightly more engine braking but its so minuscule that you really have to be paying close attention to notice it. I was pushing the car pretty hard on both roads to simulate a road course event.

86Fbody

Established Member
Well... Kinda track. I ran the cherohala skyway & then deals gap with both keys. The roads are very much like an aggressive road course, & I couldn't really tell any difference other than slightly more engine braking but its so minuscule that you really have to be paying close attention to notice it. I was pushing the car pretty hard on both roads to simulate a road course event.

Maybe there just no reason for it. I wouldn't promote it since you can have better gains from a non canned tune.

F.D.Sako

Established Member
I here ya, as I do more research I am moving towards a custom tune, the factory tune in the car sucks, its got a bad flat spot when free revving, and is jerky when abruptly letting off the throttle on the highway. Runs great under power though.

here are a few pointers from the searching and reading i've done on the track key.

The track key gives a more aggressive engine braking tune. So, you may feel a little more jerkiness with the track key when you let off the throttle. I've read some people prefer the regular key at the track, since its easier to control the weight transfer due to the more subtle engine braking.

Also think about your warranty. if im not mistaken, you may loose your warranty if something fails in the engine due to after market tunes. so if you dont plan on modifying your car alot until warranty ends, then the track key might be worth it.

Last edited:

Tyler72

Established Member
Well... It cost me $503 to get my key done. Larry Hill Ford in Cleveland, TN did it & charged way more than they should have. But oh well... The sad part is that I could've had an intake and x cal for only slightly more money. Then I could get a real cammed tune & more power. But the trade off being no warranty & no launch control. Hopefully someone will come out with a way to keep the track key stuff with a custom tune in the near future.

Last edited:

ace72ace

Egi Actum
Established Member
The throttle response is greater with the red key, esp in the first 3 gears. It's pretty cool to be able to load a factory performance tune just by using a different key.

Tyler72

Established Member
Have you tried the key personally?

I cant really tell any difference on the butt dyno (or the real dyno) at all. Throttle response feels the same. When I put it on the dyno, the graphs lay over each other and match up perfectly no matter what key is in it.

86Fbody

Established Member
Have you tried the key personally?

I cant really tell any difference on the butt dyno (or the real dyno) at all. Throttle response feels the same. When I put it on the dyno, the graphs lay over each other and match up perfectly no matter what key is in it.

Do they literally overlay? There should be a difference in where the power comes in with the trackey.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
The throttle response is greater with the red key, esp in the first 3 gears. It's pretty cool to be able to load a factory performance tune just by using a different key.

I very much agree. I use red key with summer tires and gray key with snows. Going back to the red key a couple weeks ago it was noticeable.

Tyler72

Established Member
They literally over lay each other. I'll print the graphs off to show it... I'll print each individual and then one with both on them. I'll scan them and upload them just to show it. So if it makes any difference, its below 2500 RPM, which I'm not buying.

86Fbody

Established Member
They literally over lay each other. I'll print the graphs off to show it... I'll print each individual and then one with both on them. I'll scan them and upload them just to show it. So if it makes any difference, its below 2500 RPM, which I'm not buying.

That's odd, and it says trackey track use only and what not when you put the red key in?

Users who are viewing this thread