Noob Considering S197 GT, would like general info and opinions

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Hello all,

I am in the process of selling my 97 Cobra and am really wanting something brand new at this point in my life so i am taking a hard look at the S197 gt's. I love the looks but i have a few questions, hoping for some input from you fine people. :D

1. How do these cars compare N/A with bolt ons to other modular cars?
2. I am noticing these cars put down the same, if not better numbers than early 4-valve cobras and even a few mach1's. it would seem that the heads on these cars flow very well, what are the reasons for this ?
3. mustang interiors suck, generally speaking, how much improved are the ones on these cars?
4. how reliable is the motor for mild supercharging? what type of crank shaft is in these cars? forged, iron or cast?
5. any other opinions or comments i would greatly appreciate

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Bens4vcobra said:
Hello all,

I am in the process of selling my 97 Cobra and am really wanting something brand new at this point in my life so i am taking a hard look at the S197 gt's. I love the looks but i have a few questions, hoping for some input from you fine people. :D

1. How do these cars compare N/A with bolt ons to other modular cars?-They respond well to CAI/Tune mod, with the better CAI's they are seeing a 20 hp increase with this mod alone, which is better than 2V's. There is a huge aftermarket support for these cars.
2. I am noticing these cars put down the same, if not better numbers than early 4-valve cobras and even a few mach1's. it would seem that the heads on these cars flow very well, what are the reasons for this ? - The 3v heads in the S197's flow almost as well as the 4v heads on the intake side, but much less on the exhaust side. They also have a variable cam timing system, which helps also.
3. mustang interiors suck, generally speaking, how much improved are the ones on these cars? - This is very subjective, I personally much prefer the interior to the previus models. Some people don't like them, the dash is plastic, when the SN95's was leather (right?). But the seating position is much improved (in my opinion) and the shifter location is light years better than the SN95's. After getting used to my car I hate driving SN95's, even cobras.
4. how reliable is the motor for mild supercharging? what type of crank shaft is in these cars? forged, iron or cast? - the crank is cast, the engine is good for up to 450 rwhp. I have seen more but it is typically considered that you are on borrowed time. However, I have seen cars with forged bottom ends and stock heads go up to 600+ on pump gas, so there is room in the heads for lots of power.
5. any other opinions or comments i would greatly appreciate - Something else to consider is that the suspension and the chassis are much improved, for the extra 300lbs that these cars weigh you are getting something like 4x the rigidity in the chassis. I personally have a buddy that autocrsses on a regular basis and is very good, and his S197 with shocks springs and tires is better faster in auto cross than his prepped SN95 was. The cars are also safer as a result of this stiffness

:pepper:

Wild Stallion

Established Member
^ Agreed. Bolt-on performance with these cars is almost identical to that of the Mach. Ford racing now has ported heads(but as with mod motor the whole enging needs to come out so really not all that worth it unless there is F.I.) Comp cam have some new cams out and seems to be about a 30hp gain. Along with a drop in susspension I would also highly recomend getting a new short throw shifter my preference would be Steeda or Pro 5.0.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
thanks guys. i love the looks of the car and its about damn time i get something new for once. tired of buying used after someone else has gotten the best of the car, i'm stuck with leftovers.

so continuing on the FI topic:

i see these things in magazines putting down crazy numbers on stock motors. i know with my cobra, i can put 6-10psi on it with no affect on reliability. is that the same with these cars?

S197kid

Established Member
5. any other opinions or comments i would greatly appreciate- compared to other high performance vehicles that I have worked on (saleen, lightning, ls1 camaros, c5 vettes) the engine compartment is well laid out and easy to work in with plenty of room.

redcreep1

Established Member
I love how the car handles, like the interior compared to previous models which has more legroom IMO (6'1"). The only downside is I wish it came with more STOCK horsepower but who doesn't. It's a totally different car.

Wild Stallion

Established Member
Bens4vcobra said:
thanks guys. i love the looks of the car and its about damn time i get something new for once. tired of buying used after someone else has gotten the best of the car, i'm stuck with leftovers.

so continuing on the FI topic:

i see these things in magazines putting down crazy numbers on stock motors. i know with my cobra, i can put 6-10psi on it with no affect on reliability. is that the same with these cars?
10psi is about max with a KB or Whipple that should equate to about 475 to the wheels any higher it's tick tick tick boom.

SILVER06GT

Established Member
I love mine, and if you have time you might wanna check on fords website to see what kinda deals they are running, I got 0% for 72mos :), I use mine as a daily driver and get about 20mpg and its a auto, all I have done is intake and programmer and it has run a best of 13.39 @102

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Another thing to consider if you get one is to immediately upgrade from 3.55 to 4.10 gears. Stock 3.55's are good but the 4.10's make a world of difference when you go WOT.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
What are the "charge motion plates" on these cars and is that similar/same to the IMRC plates of the B-head cobras?

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
hartman said:
What color, options etc did ya get?

You know, the color thing is interesting cause the window sticker says Tungsten Gray but i swear its silver metallic. too light to be tungsten.

i got a GT premium, loaded out, the hood scoop, leather, premium interior, satellite(sp?) radio, 5 speed, 18inch bullitts and 3.55 gears. its awesome, i cant believe how good this thing handles, i had a few suspension mods done on my SN95 cobra and it doesnt hold a candle to this car. the torque curve is suprisingly even throughout the band, i was used to the B head cobra's 4 valve engine, basically crap below 3k rpms. i pull out in front of chevy trucks and beamers without fear!

Last edited:

hartman

Established Member
Congrats, sounds like you got a nice one. 87fcoupe is right, a good tune and intake alone do wonders for them.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Bens4vcobra said:
Yeah i got 4.10's in my cobra so i know first hand how modulars need alot of gear.

Are 4.10's too much for a FI car like a Cobra....I'm considering doing a rear end swap with a Tremy owner but he is balking because of the gears. I'm trying to tell him he'll likey LOVE the 410's. It's my old car and it's putting about 475 to the ground if that makes a difference.

sorry to threadjack

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Mach1USMC said:
Are 4.10's too much for a FI car like a Cobra....I'm considering doing a rear end swap with a Tremy owner but he is balking because of the gears. I'm trying to tell him he'll likey LOVE the 410's. It's my old car and it's putting about 475 to the ground if that makes a difference.

sorry to threadjack

that might be a little over my head (sorry if you werent directing this to me), my cobra was n/a. since the terms do have the 6th gear, i would think it wouldnt be that bad, however, i had 4.10's in my 6 speed LT1 and first gear was pretty much useless so i know in a car that puts out as much as your Cobra, it might be the same deal, but again i've never owned a FI mustang so its over my head.

on a side note, i've driven a handful of terminators and they have great low end torque stock, so i dont see where they would need as much gear as a n/a mod motor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread