No traction!

Watson30

Established Member
3rd! haha how about 1st? I want a tire that is great off the line:D Anything you guys would reccomend?
Thanks

Last edited:

blainestang

Established Member
Watson30 said:
3rd! haha how about 1st? I want a tire that is great off the line:D Anything you guys would reccomend?
Thanks

Well, Mongoose has nearly 200whp more than a stock 5.0, so I'm sure that doesn't help w/ traction. :D

Watson30

Established Member
haha for sure, ive been told a wider tire is not good for traction.. but yet i see all you guys goin for sizes 275 and up some 325+. Im really confused.... i figure more contact means more grip but a wider tire = less traction? but better cornering?

Hatchman

Established Member
A lower profile tire will help with cornering, a tire with a taller sidewall will help with acceleration, a wider tire will help with both. Since you want better traction on accleration, go with a tire that is a little taller and wider and has a softer compound.

shamdoodie

changemystang.com
Established Member
sorry to get a little off subject, but im wondering about a different kind of traction ... my tires i have seem to have decent tread left and look like a decent design tread to channel water on slick roads , but i swear i fishtail or spin out every single time there is a slightest bit of incline at a stoplight or turn on any kind of wet roads... im sick of it and afraid to let my kids ride in my car... big disappointment considering i finally got a mustang after wanting one for 13 years... now that winter is coming up im even more terrified cause the only other person i know who has had a mustang got rid of theirs after one winter in KY. I cant afford to (and reallly dont want to) sell my car or get a beater for winter weather... i love my 'stang too much to part with it and have big plans to mod the crap out of it, but can't do so if im spening my money on repairs when i total it going at moderate speeds around town on slick roads...

can anyone offer advice on this? any certain tire brand/model i should look for? will it only get worse when i finally get my 17" bullitts that I want? Would putting blocks or something in my trunk help like it does in a pickup truck? Im worried here.

Last edited:

shamdoodie

changemystang.com
Established Member
grendel said:
what kind of tires are on there now?

something like Futura Plus GT Touring SE P205 65/r15 ... they came on it when i bought it in Jan, but never really had a problem until a month ago.... had the fronts rotated to back cause they had more tread on them... im looking to get a good wet weather tire when i buy my bullitts but need help from people with experience to guide me in the right direction. any help you can give would be great !
Thanks !

my apologies to Watson, didnt mean to but in and change direction of the thread :(

Last edited:

Fast04SVT

do u have a v6 car? wow 205's are really small tires
shamdoodie said:
something like Futura Plus GT Touring SE P205 65/r15 ... they came on it when i bought it in Jan, but never really had a problem until a month ago.... had the fronts rotated to back cause they had more tread on them... im looking to get a good wet weather tire when i buy my bullitts but need help from people with experience to guide me in the right direction. any help you can give would be great !
Thanks !

my apologies to Watson, didnt mean to but in and change direction of the thread :(

Tampa03cobra

Frivolous Lawsuiter
Established Member
For all the driving id do, id trade you my svt for 10 months out of the year =-p 3000 miles a month + 16 mpg +premium only= I spend enough to buy a kenne belle in 6 months worth of gas. Good for you buying a V-6, they are much more practical.

Honestly for all weather performance, michelin has treated me very well. They are a bit pricey, but you can be as confident as inflated rubber on slippery surfaces go, they they are a good bet for all weather.

Last edited:

shamdoodie

changemystang.com
Established Member
Tampa03cobra said:
For all the driving id do, id trade you my svt for 10 months out of the year =-p 3000 miles a month + 16 mpg +premium only= I spend enough to buy a kenne belle in 6 months worth of gas. Good for you buying a V-6, they are much more practical.

Honestly for all weather performance, michelin has treated me very well. They are a bit pricey, but you can be as confident as inflated rubber on slippery surfaces go, they they are a good bet for all weather.

cool beans, thanks for the advice, i will definitely check into it... BTW, the gas mileage and especially the insurance were what dictated me getting the v6, although i would have much rather had a Bullitt or Terminator :)

GSM96COBRA

Established Member
they should have never made or disrespected the muscle cars with V6s you save what 3 gallons each fill up gimme a break .... either way you should do what everyone else does to there V6 .....make it look like the V8 you SHOULDA bought put some flows on it and try to soup it up it could always start to look like the V8 you know with the optional cheaper insurance rate also lol

well at least you are trying right you are beyond a dought missing out a bunch

shamdoodie

changemystang.com
Established Member
GSM96COBRA said:
they should have never made or disrespected the muscle cars with V6s you save what 3 gallons each fill up gimme a break .... either way you should do what everyone else does to there V6 .....make it look like the V8 you SHOULDA bought put some flows on it and try to soup it up it could always start to look like the V8 you know with the optional cheaper insurance rate also lol

well at least you are trying right you are beyond a dought missing out a bunch

lol, given the production numbers on the 2000 Mustang, I would dare say the v6 owners outnumber the GT owners by quite a bit... besides, I waited 13 years to finally own a Mustang due to family obligations and such, and ended up with a 6 yr old used one (just got it 10 months ago) i'd be waiting another 5 if i would have held out for the v8, lol. So far, only gt takeoffs right now, and a few little things like my profile says, but come tax refund time, I've got plans to do a bunch. I appreciate the advice though :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread