no start

lasercobra

No SVT
Established Member
I got in my car last night after work, put the key in and it would just crank. I noticed when i was cranking the theft light was flashing, so i stopped and tried again. Same results, it was pretty ebarrassing at this point. So i turned the key to the on position and the theft light went off, i cranked it and it started. Has anybody else had this to happen to them?

key

Established Member
Every once in a while mine won't start. All the exlectronics power up, fuel pump, radio, etc... But it just won't crank (at all). Usually I take the key out, run through the gears, depress the clutch a couple times and try again.

I have no idea why it happens, but it sucks.

Farmer-Ted

I pooped a little.
Established Member
Mine has done this a few times. It's the anti-theft electronic chip in the key not being read. When it does this I take the key out and turn it over and it has always started.

Tai99

Established Member
Mine's been doing this all morning! :( I've tried both keys, fiddled with everything, and still nothing. It's really pissing me off given that it's a pretty decent day out and I wanted to go driving. :mj:

Is there anything else one can do about it?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
make sure there isnt a keyring (metal) inbetween the key and the ignition.

try disconnecting the battery, and then reconnecting it and starting.

my contour did this to me once..

Tai99

Established Member
tried both of those, no results :(

Someone once said something about the starter not being grounded properly on their 99, resulting in similar symptoms. Is there a way to check if the starter is grounded and/or functional using a voltmeter?

Thanks

CbrCpe

Established Member
Sound like the ground on the engine block needs to be tightened. They have a ssm on this problem. This ground wire may be loose...the stud is located near the oil filter. Maybe you could try a jumper from the battery to the engine block to see if if will start.

love bandit2

Established Member
This happened twice on my 98... in the end they had to replace the reciever in the steering column and reprogram my keys. Its a real annoying problem, but it hasn't happened in a long time (knock on wood).

Users who are viewing this thread