no start

psycholx

ALWAYS STANG, SOMETIMES L
Established Member
I know, another thread, but posting anyway.. I purchase a 93 Cobra a few weeks ago, (Teal), boby in perfect condition, it had a race engine, pushing 498 to the wheels on 93 octane. I purchased for my son (16), so the engine had to go. All stock pieces came with the purchase minus throttle bodyand air box. The entire stock engine came complete, since it was out, I replaced all gasketsfrom oil pan up, didn't break the crank or piston loose. the original owner said it ran great with the original engine. So I replaced the engine. started it, had some vaccum issues around the upper to lower intake joint, fix that, started, still had a stumble still, then it shut off. Havent been able to start it since. It is gettting spark, fuel pressure is solid, just will not fire off. I crank and crank until battery dies. I just cant figure out what is wrong with this engine. I redid the timing, all was good, but still no start. I attached a video to assist in a diagnosis. It does have sort of a slow start to it but I cough that up to the battery in the trunk, I will relocate it once all is good. Please help, so is anxious to drive his car. http://vid2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/psychoII/Mobile Uploads/20141208_190335.mp4

blownfox

Established Member
I had a similar problem (my would do that but only on a hot start) and it was a mixture of grounds / bad ECM.

WillyB93

Established Member
Did you run a compression test on the cylinders? Was it set up on the basic ignition or all the aftermarket setup?

psycholx

Established Member
Did you run a compression test on the cylinders? Was it set up on the basic ignition or all the aftermarket setup?
No haven't run a compression test. It was running prior, just put an intake gasket on it now no start. It had a Mallory ignition on it, but now stock one connected.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Cool car for a 16 year old. I hope he can manage the throttle since the car does not have traction control.

WillyB93

Established Member
Good deal, someone just posted an ad about getting one re-built on here.

psycholx

Established Member
Ran compression test on 1, 2, and 5 cylinders, the highest was 65 psi. How can compression be so low now and it was running earlier with a slight miss. Guess gonna pull and rebuild..i ruled out the distributer by putting it into my other car and it fired right up..

vuzikis

Established Member
93 cobra engine

Ran compression test on 1, 2, and 5 cylinders, the highest was 65 psi. How can compression be so low now and it was running earlier with a slight miss. Guess gonna pull and rebuild..i ruled out the distributer by putting it into my other car and it fired right up..

You just had another question answered too. There was a reason the previous owner replaced the motor.

psycholx

Established Member
Okay engine running. I know I have some lifter noise, so will address that later. I would like to know what is causing the noise in the video. Around 50-60 second mark, you can hear it really well. I was told it was the oil pump, so what are your thoughts?
th_20150110_144440.jpg

psycholx

Established Member
Update, new short block from LMR, cobra cam was toast, so put the gt cam I had in there. Running pretty well I must say. Stock Cobra motor will visit the scrap yard shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread