No sound after replacing head unit in Mach 460 car

DRK HRS

Established Member
I haven't had a stereo in my Mach 1 for like a year. I had a really nice Kenwood with built in nav but I moved it to my daily because that just makes more sense. Just finally getting around to putting my older (circa 2012) Kenwood back in the Mustang. Point being, everything was working perfectly fine right before I removed the stereo from the car.

I lost the old wiring harness I had on it so I got a new Metra 70-5519 and wired it up. Plugged it in, aaaand nothing! The stereo turns on just fine, no problem with power but I get zero sound at all. Not even from the door tweeters which are supposedly just powered directly from the head unit.

I brought the head unit back inside and hooked up this 12v battery I have, connected a speaker. Works fine! I get sound from that speaker. So what could be going on in the car?

I'm not a professional or anything, but I've installed at least 6 or 7 head units in different cars myself over the years, so I'm not new to this. The wiring looks fine to me. I mean, it's dead simple really. Or maybe not so much with these Mach 460/1000 systems.

Thoughts? Anything in particular I should be checking for?

EDIT: And I accidentally posted this in the Terminator section. Maybe a mod wants to move it somewhere more appropriate.

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
Assuming you are still using the stock amps - are you sending the signal to wake them up? I'm not sure what else would produce absolutely no sound... I bought my HU from Crutchfield and they provided all the wiring needed to make it work.

52merc

Established Member
If there is no sound coming from the door "tweeters" then it is not an issue with waking up the amps. The amps only run the "woofers". When I go to the Metra website it shows 70-5701 as the correct adapter kit for your car. Regardless, the "tweeter" wires connect to the head unit through the 16-pin connector. The wires should have been labelled and the need to be connected as follows:

upload_2019-7-9_16-35-1.png

DRK HRS

Established Member
Assuming you are still using the stock amps - are you sending the signal to wake them up? I'm not sure what else would produce absolutely no sound... I bought my HU from Crutchfield and they provided all the wiring needed to make it work.

I'm using the stock amp, but the tweeters should still work anyway. I made sure the amp was getting the turn-on signal just to be sure though.

DRK HRS

Established Member
If there is no sound coming from the door "tweeters" then it is not an issue with waking up the amps. The amps only run the "woofers". When I go to the Metra website it shows 70-5701 as the correct adapter kit for your car. Regardless, the "tweeter" wires connect to the head unit through the 16-pin connector. The wires should have been labelled and the need to be connected as follows:

View attachment 1585310

Yeah I've seen conflicting info on which harness to get. You're probably right though. This is what I get for just asking the guy in the back of Best Buy to sell me the right harness lol. I hope I still have the receipt.

The 70-5519 DOES physically fit though, so I figured it's the right one. Must be same connector, different pinout.

Thanks I'll see if the other one works.

52merc

Established Member
Does the 70-5519 have wires connected to 15 of the pins? if it does, it will work if the wires are connected to the right pins. If not, then you need to get the correct one. Best Buy, etc get screwed up because of the difference between the regular radio pin-outs and the Mach460 pin-outs. I've seen this happen before.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
not sure if this would come into play or not - but the interface for 2003 and 2004 are different. Worth double checking that you have the right connections for the MY.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Yeah I've seen conflicting info on which harness to get. You're probably right though. This is what I get for just asking the guy in the back of Best Buy to sell me the right harness lol. I hope I still have the receipt.

The 70-5519 DOES physically fit though, so I figured it's the right one. Must be same connector, different pinout.

Thanks I'll see if the other one works.

The pin out is different between the years. Learned that one while swapping head units in my 04.

Users who are viewing this thread