No keys to start. Should I buy?

rew729

I came across an SVT sitting in a parking lot acting as a billboard for a shop.
It looked to be in sad shape so went in the shop and inquired about it.
The owner couldn't tell me much about the car other than:

-He hasn't driven it in about 6 years
-It was started about a year ago and it ran but it was a little rough.
-From what he's heard, "it's not a normal focus. It's special to someone who knows about Focuses" LOL
-He would take $1000 for it.

I've been thinking about it for a little over a month now and I called the owner up to ask some more about it. He did not know how many miles or what year but he did send the title the next day. It is a 2003 and given some carfax info, I'd estimate it to be around 80k miles. But the kicker is, he doesn't have the keys. So I cant even get in the car atm, let alone start it.

I've called a few dealers and some say they can make the keys for $600 other say $250 to program but I would need to put in a new cylinder/key set because they can't cut keys for cars that are 10+ years old.

Should I buy the car without being able to start it? How much is too much in this case?

I'm thinking I would try to turn it over by hand and listen for anything awful.Beyond that is there any thing i could/should check before taking the plunge on this?

Thanks for any advice.

NastyNate420

Established Member
I had a locksmith cut new keys for my car cost less than $200. if you really want the car. pay to get keys made and take it off the price of the car.

Steve@Tasca

Dealers can't make keys any longer, Ford only stores key codes by VIN for ten years. A locksmith can cut keys, some can even program the car to accept them.

What kind of shape is it in? Worth rescuing?

Edit- just saw that you knew about the ten year thing, locksmith can still help.

-Steve

Zemedici

Established Member
Dealers can't make keys any longer, Ford only stores key codes by VIN for ten years. A locksmith can cut keys, some can even program the car to accept them.

Edit- just saw that you knew about the ten year thing, locksmith can still help.

-Steve

This.

Mobile locksmith can cut you some keys for a few hundred bucks. I'd offer $500 for it since you gotta have keys made and have NO idea the mechanical condition of the vehicle.

rew729

I had a locksmith cut new keys for my car cost less than $200. if you really want the car. pay to get keys made and take it off the price of the car.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have called around and this definitely seems like the way to go. I am going to make a few more calls today because prices and services seem to be all over the place.

-Steve

Hey Steve, I called a couple months back and spoke to you about things I should look out for. Paint is in rough shape but I think it may be OK aside from that. I need to get a better look underneath.

This.

Mobile locksmith can cut you some keys for a few hundred bucks. I'd offer $500 for it since you gotta have keys made and have NO idea the mechanical condition of the vehicle.

I haven't found anyone who will come out to do it yet, but that is what I'm hoping for. That way I can use my AAA wisely. Everyone so far has said they need the car at their facility.

Users who are viewing this thread