No-judge zone: Who's personally hurting thanks to all this Covid BS?

CobraKid04

Established Member
Probably the best home life and financial year for my family.

Wife is a teacher and worked from home, march- may. Then had the summer off. Really spent great time with our, at the time, 1 year old son.

We sold our home in September, made a massive profit. Moved in with my parents until the perfect home came up. Closed Dec. 15 on the perfect house. Saved a good chunk of money staying with them.

My parents and I did well in the stock market.....my parents made a small fortune. They are/ have been retired.

My work life as a LEO sucks ass.. riots and public distrust has made the job miserable. Massive policy changes literally have us doing nothing. I'm also burn out from 5+ years on a 3rd shift schedule.

As far as COVID, I wear my mask in public...that's the only impact its had.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Fiscally speaking I'm fine. No pay cut or anything. I'm forced to work from home, however, which I don't like. Here in Vegas so many are in the service/hospitality industry and they've lost their jobs and can't make ends meet. They are the ones I feel for.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Picture1.png

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
That sucks for you guys, sorry to hear.

I appreciate the sympathy. This is the second time I have had to leave a job abruptly, but the first time it happened I wasn't in a good financial standing so that was really stressful. My best advice for anyone who has the ability to put money away is to put away as much as you can because you just never know what is going to happen. I have been working throughout the entire shutdown, and I worked with a small crew which I knew I was doing a good job and I was helping the shop make more money than they have before so I thought no matter what I would be able to come back to work. I assumed my boss had planned for such a scenario since the chances of us catching it were so high, but I thought wrong, I just got replaced lol.

MFE

Established Member
Fiscally speaking I'm fine. No pay cut or anything. I'm forced to work from home, however, which I don't like. Here in Vegas so many are in the service/hospitality industry and they've lost their jobs and can't make ends meet. They are the ones I feel for.

When we went to Vegas for Halloween, it made my day to find out that our favorite outside bartender at Four Queens was alive and well, working inside, on a reduced schedule, but working and getting by.

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Hit me pretty hard. I was unemployed for 5 months luckily collected unemployment during those months. Now back to work, working more than ever. I'm in aviation. My mom is also, and she has been on temp leave since March 2020 and ends this January 2021. She too has been able to collect unemployment and her company came to an agreement to provide them partial wage during the pandemic, but unemployment is now gone. She doesn't "need it" per se but there is a good chance her leave gets extended anyway unless Congress comes to terms with a deal. The airlines are hemorrhaging cash they can't afford to pay all these people. Probably 5-10 of my good friends are laid off and still aren't back to work. Most have found work elsewhere, lots have moved home temporarily (we're all early-mid 20's around 2 years out of school, all in aviation).

GodStang

Established Member
Wife’s business went under and I have been cut back on hours. Luckily no car loans and we bought our house as a foreclosure for next to nothing so payments are low. Since our hours have been cut back I am using that time to get a Masters Degree.

MG0h3

Established Member
Ironically, covid has turned real estate into a gold mine. I have beat my best year ever nearly 4x over. Made an entire yearly salary from an old job in 6 weeks. There's no sign of things slowing down in this area. Don't think I've slept since last March. Extremely blessed this year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

It is crazy. I know Zillow isn’t exact but I had a 51k 30 day increase on one of my rentals. This was from 269-319/320. Closed at 312 after offering it to my tenants at 275 the month before.

Sold that ****er in like 3 days.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
It is crazy. I know Zillow isn’t exact but I had a 51k 30 day increase on one of my rentals. This was from 269-319/320. Closed at 312 after offering it to my tenants at 275 the month before.

Sold that ****er in like 3 days.

“BLM is doing God’s work”
2KblackGT

svtperformance.com mobile app
Not too shabby. I'm no fan of zillow...I have a saying The "a" in zillow stands for accuracy. They get a lot of market stats pretty right on, but holy shit just about anything else is waaaaay the hell off. Not a fan of their culture of selling you to the highest bidder. That's shady as hell.

Sent from my SM-G986U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
I was laid off for 6 months,3 of it I laid low on purpose since here in FL it was getting stupid. Thanks to the + $600 bump a week I was able to stay out of my savings and got by.
I went back to work in Oct. for a different
Co. 9 miles from the house ( closest I’ve been in 10 years)
I’m Superintendent for a large GC.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I've been fortunate to be in an essential position/company, and my wife was as well. We also had a baby in the middle of May, so it was real fun there too.

Family overall has been fine. But I have plenty of friends that I've seen have to reinvent their life just to get by.

I'll just say to all those struggling, and those that lost loved ones in the middle of this, you have my respect and prayers.

My94GT

Established Member
I’ve been fortunate not to have been laid off but due to how my pay is structured with quarterly performance and sales profit based metrics I’ve taken at least a 27k pay cut this year based off last years numbers and frankly it’s likely more since we were slowly increasing sales in 4th quarter last year.

I am in collision repair so it’s an interesting market currently with so many now working from home

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I just lost my job as a result of having Corona Virus which I'm pretty sure is illegal to do. Luckily I have enough put away in savings to get by for a while as I look for another job. I'm figuring out how to approach this the best way still though, but mostly just trying to get over the virus cause it sucks dick.

if you qualified for FMLA then you'd probably have a case for wrongful termination depending on circumstances of course.

My father is in the theme park industry as a 1099 and he's freaking out a bit. When his current gig is over in about 3 weeks he won't have any work to do as far as he knows. Hopefully he finds something quick, not really looking forward to having another house guest (he lived with me off and on years back, anywhere from 1-2 weeks to 2 months based on various overseas assignments).

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I just lost my job as a result of having Corona Virus which I'm pretty sure is illegal to do. Luckily I have enough put away in savings to get by for a while as I look for another job. I'm figuring out how to approach this the best way still though, but mostly just trying to get over the virus cause it sucks dick.

That’s some total BS. Part of the first stimulus bill was a guaranteed two weeks pay emergency sick leave for EVERYONE specificity for COVID-19 if you get sick.

There is also 12 weeks worth of emergency FMLA paid at 2/3 of your salary to care for a child in the event that they cannot go to school or you’ve lost your daycare provider due to COVID-19.

So you had those benefits at the least.

Further, they cannot legally fire you for simply getting sick.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Business is up.

Stress/depression is real. Struggling with the home life right now.

I tested positive for COVID just over two weeks ago, back to work today. I had a stuffy nose for less than 24 hours, a minor cough for the same duration and a very low grade fever for less than 6 hours. Other than that, I felt fine.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

eh, depends on state and circumstances. In a right to work state you don't need a reason to fire someone, so long as it wasn't termination for cause they'll get to collect unemployment. This if course assuming they don't qualify for some kind of job protection which in this case, it sounds like it did. They would have to make the argument the business couldn't operate without him to not qualify for the 2 weeks of covid leave

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s some total BS. Part of the first stimulus bill was a guaranteed two weeks pay emergency sick leave for EVERYONE specificity for COVID-19 if you get sick.

There is also 12 weeks worth of emergency FMLA paid at 2/3 of your salary to care for a child in the event that they cannot go to school or you’ve lost your daycare provider due to COVID-19.

So you had those benefits at the least.

Depends, did he follow al precautions his workplace set in place? Or did he try to defy and fight workplace measures? If he followed without fight, yes I could see a case to be had ad he should file suit. If he fought measures or constantly let his frustrations with measures be known they could have viewed him as a risk and took the opportunity to let him go.

A lot of companies are going to be looking for excuses the longer this goes. Those vocal about their hatred of measures to mitigate risks and those willingly defiant will find themselves at the front of the guillotine line setup by HR.

I’m collecting dildos for broke ass hoes. I call it, “Toys for THOTs”

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
My friend was fired in April from a law firm and they claimed it was covid related due to lost business. Probably didn't help he didn't get along with one of the owners and that one found an excuse.

Since then he sort of spiraled a bit out of control. Expected some burn out due to his hours but boy he uh I guess took it hard/other issues boiled over.

Known him for over 20 years and never quite expected this.
Guess he'll need to hit rock bottom before waking back up.(Not drug/substance related)

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
eh, depends on state and circumstances. In a right to work state you don't need a reason to fire someone, so long as it wasn't termination for cause they'll get to collect unemployment. This if course assuming they don't qualify for some kind of job protection which in this case, it sounds like it did. They would have to make the argument the business couldn't operate without him to not qualify for the 2 weeks of covid leave

He cannot he fired for simply getting sick period.

Further, he is due the federal programs I mentioned above and if his Co failed to offer the 2 weeks emergency sick leave, said company is in violation.

Depends, did he follow al precautions his workplace set in place? Or did he try to defy and fight workplace measures? If he followed without fight, yes I could see a case to be had ad he should file suit. If he fought measures or constantly let his frustrations with measures be known they could have viewed him as a risk and took the opportunity to let him go.

A lot of companies are going to be looking for excuses the longer this goes. Those vocal about their hatred of measures to mitigate risks and those willingly defiant will find themselves at the front of the guillotine line setup by HR.

I’m collecting dildos for broke ass hoes. I call it, “Toys for THOTs”

If he failed to follow workplace precautions, then he was not fired for getting sick, he was fired for failing to follow company policy.

I stand by my original post.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Every single business I am partnered in is hurting except for the ones that sell medical supplies. Thank goodness for diversification is all I can say.

Users who are viewing this thread