No Front Plates bill in the TX House

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I was at Cars and Coffee Dallas yesterday, and was handed a note about a new "No Front License Plate Legislation".

Here is what it says (and I'm typing it out so it hopefully will show up in searches if needed)

If you would like to get rid of that plate on the front of your car now is your chance to help make it happen.

Rep Fred Brown of Bryan has introduced a bill, HB 1068, to do away with the requirement of front license plate in Texas. The Chairman of the Transportation Committee has indicated he will give the bill a fair hearing.

I did a little googling - and found this bill:
82(R) HB 1068 - Introduced version - Bill Text

Anyways - the card continues to say:
All interested parties need to send letters, emails, phone calls, whatever, to their Reps/Senators. We especially need to work the Transportation Committee members. Find your Rep and/or follow the bill at: Texas House of Representatives. Be ready to go to Austin when the bill is set for committee hearing.

This wills save the State over $4 million a year as well as help all County Tax Offices, car dealers, car washes, land fills and improve gas mileage.
provided by Z Club of Texas
LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

Anyways - just thought I'd put this out here, hopefully we can get enough people to make enough noise to get these front plates legally removed! :)

EDIT:
Found the link to the actual bill so we can follow it through all the stages:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/BillStages.aspx?LegSess=82R&Bill=HB1068

Last edited:

BABVenom98

Established Member
That would be awesome, even though I already run without my license plate on the bumper and it's not clearly visible in the windshield and haven't had any problems yet.

SVT Lurch

Good times
Established Member
Not to burst everyone's bubble, but don't they have a bill like this every year that gets lost somewhere in legislation?
All interested parties need to send letters, emails, phone calls, whatever, to their Reps/Senators. We especially need to work the Transportation Committee members. Find your Rep and/or follow the bill at: Texas House of Representatives. Be ready to go to Austin when the bill is set for committee hearing.

This wills save the State over $4 million a year as well as help all County Tax Offices, car dealers, car washes, land fills and improve gas mileage.
provided by Z Club of Texas
LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD!

Hahaha.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
That would be awesome, even though I already run without my license plate on the bumper and it's not clearly visible in the windshield and haven't had any problems yet.

yeah i refuse to drill holes in the bumper of my Cobra, but i finally decided to give in and put one on my F150. My truck doesn't require drilling for the front plate, and i've been pulled over 4 times for it so with as much as i drive that truck i had to do it....but it's soooo pointless

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I currently have mine in the opening under the bumper (blocking the Intercooler radiator - I know). I just can't tolerate the thought of putting holes in the front bumper either. But the cops stopped pulling me over using the lack of front plate as an excuse.

Superman750

Part-Timer
Established Member
I currently have mine in the opening under the bumper (blocking the Intercooler radiator - I know). I just can't tolerate the thought of putting holes in the front bumper either. But the cops stopped pulling me over using the lack of front plate as an excuse.

Do you have pictures of how you mounted it? Have you noticed any difference if you are in boost a lot? how much room is in between the plate and the heat exchanger? More info please.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'm gonna get flamed for sure on this one. I don't race the car much at all - which is the only reason I considered doing this to begin with. It is in there in such a way that it would be easy to take off if needed though.

The mounting is pretty much a couple of L brackets with long wood screws going into the bumper foam. The plate fits nicely within the two support pieces below the front bumper. I used the stock front plate adapter to kind of "blacken" out the space behind the plate. I like the look in that it doesn't make holes in the cover - and I think it is sneaky enough to keep cops from using it as an excuse to pull me over (which has happened twice for me prior to putting the plate where it is).

EDIT:

Here is a pic of my car at C&C:
188921_1882774031374_1302032879_32274499_4865076_n.jpg

Last edited:

mrose75

Established Member
I hope this goes through as well. I don't have my plate on the front of my car, it has resided in the lower right of my windshield for as long as I can remember. I'll pay the freaking ticket.

And really? "Improves gas mileage"??? Please, it can't that noticeable of a difference. "I saved $.47 by removing my front plate!!" :rolleyes:

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
I hope this goes through as well. I don't have my plate on the front of my car, it has resided in the lower right of my windshield for as long as I can remember. I'll pay the freaking ticket.

And really? "Improves gas mileage"??? Please, it can't that noticeable of a difference. "I saved $.47 by removing my front plate!!" :rolleyes:

I wouldn't argue, they are using it to keep the plates off!

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I think the best argument that I can think of is it doesn't put two holes or a big scratch into the back bumper of the car you may bump into. Saving you and other many $$ and time for the most minor of bumps.

I accidentally slipped on ice last month and bumped into a rental car. No damage at all to either vehicles. I think had the bumper plate been in place as designed, I'd be buying Hertz a new bumper....

dpotter

Established Member
I've seen these bills come and go, wish it would finally pass.

Why mount the plate in front of the HE when you can get a high quality no-drill front license plate holder from Craig's Custom Brackets? I just bought one, great quality at a fair price.

DTH-DLR

Established Member
This sounds ghetto but it works, neither MP's or local cops have giving me any problem.
Go to Wall mart spend 2 bucks in the bthroom section by 1 pakc of suction cups and mount to the lwr right side of winsheild just above the dash. Ive even asked TSP and they say as long as its visible your good.

delvin.a

Established Member
^done

Although I haven't run a plate on my '93 since about a month after I got it when I hydroplaned (thank you DR's) and got ripped it off by the guard rail also scratched the front :(

I tell em that's why it's not on, haven't gotten a ticket yet (knock on wood) but they still pull me over.

Users who are viewing this thread