No Ford purchase.

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Needed a new rider for our new property so I found this local. 1973 original Cub Cadet 129 hydro. Cast iron block made in good ole KENTUCKY USA. Amazing how well this tractor works.
b1aa94b8f68ccd69416353a0aa4d65a1.jpg

And cleaned up pretty good.
6b21740da9d68e7686a1d6d1f2880ae5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kiohtee

Established Member
That is awesome! And not that it needs much, but you should totally do a restoration (or at least repaint, new seat, etc.).

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Thanks!! Kid takes after me haaaa.
I am planning on restoring this one a little at a time, but I told the wife to expect another one to use while I restore this one. As long as there are parts made or can find in good condition they will out last anything on the market today. They basically built themselves out of the market because after you bought one there was no reason to buy another if taken decent care of.
Hell a dart ring and pinion are what people put in the rear end to pull sleds in pulling competitions. And tons of attachments.

oldmodman

Established Member
That's pretty damn smart.
I never realized that all I had to do to get the kids to mow the damn yard was to buy a tractor.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
That's funny. I just picked up a ~15-17 year old Cub Cadet. The thing is a tank. It's surprising the difference in quality between the professional and consumer grade mowers.

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Check out the rear end on this thing, all cast-iron. Even has twin disc brakes that stop on a dime. Yes Sid they are tanks. Mines pushing 700 pounds.
5540ad05fae2b359a68f6047d2a2d97b.jpg

_Snake_

Established Member
Nice find!

We had 2 Cub Cadets when I was growing up. First a 12 hp, then a 16 hp with a 44" deck. The latter was freakin' bulletproof. I mowed 8-10 years weekly and plowed driveways in the winter. Never skipped a beat. I think we bought the 16 hp in 1984, and my parents included it when they sold the house 20 years later.

Last edited:

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
I told my oldest it's his one day. He went nuts, I let him drive it with me around the yard and a couple of cul-de-sacs we live around. All while he's waving at the hot moms in the neighborhood.
Yes _snake_ this is the wide frame 12hp version with a 48" deck. And honestly I've never seen mower blades as thick as these and in this good of condition. I just re-sharpened them and hammered a sprinkler doughnut made out of concrete disintegrated it. Another in restoring it and painting it and stuff like that the only thing I got a room with is the controls for the hydrostatic transmission. The slip bushing is loose so I've got a remake one. Or find one. You would be surprised how many places have parts for these.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Definitely a nice find. Man, those old tractors were really built solid. Top to bottom. I'd love to see quality like that come back to lawn products, etc. The crap that we have now just pales in comparison.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
My dads 20 year old craftsman mower is having issues. Can't seem to get the mower to work any more. Engine runs strong though. I should suggest him looking for some of these out here.

Users who are viewing this thread