No Aussie Mustang, No EU Camaro.

Badasp5.0

Established Member
Why aren't you including non U.S. sales? Simple question.

Also, you think the 5th gen program cost $9 billion to develop??? Holy crap dude, I want whatever you're smoking. For real, that is so far off, I can't even laugh about it. The total Curiosity Mars rover program only cost $2.5 billion, to send a one of a kind, and one of the most advanced man made creations ever 35 million miles away. The Camaro program cost 3.5X that? GM is extremely stupid I guess.

GM is good at it the W body platform in the late '80s cost GM 7 Billion so its not a stretch for the new Camaro to cost 9 billion. The damn thing doesnt share a platform with anything else built in NA IIRC.

4VFTW

Established Member
Why aren't you including non U.S. sales? Simple question.

Also, you think the 5th gen program cost $9 billion to develop??? Holy crap dude, I want whatever you're smoking. For real, that is so far off, I can't even laugh about it. The total Curiosity Mars rover program only cost $2.5 billion, to send a one of a kind, and one of the most advanced man made creations ever 35 million miles away. The Camaro program cost 3.5X that? GM is extremely stupid I guess.
well after reading through this detailed data I guess the Camaro has been a boon for GM...after all the Camaro was built off the Curiosity Rover platform right?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Did I count non-US sales? I think "Worldwide sales" include other countries yeah? Worldwide means to entire globe over... and includes all territories... I guess their could be a loophole if vehicles were sold in International waters. 60,000 Camaro's were sold at sea? But then their Worldwide sales wouldn't equal total production and make them look bad... Kinda like its doing now.

It's funny he uses the Rover as an example... Here is a quote, from one of the links I provided, commenting on the cost for autos vs. space shuttles.

Again, he refuses to learn anything from anyone. I'm glad he went out of his way to discredit himself so I didn't have to. I hate doing that...

Why Does It Cost So Much For Automakers To Develop New Models? - Translogic

Ford's Global Product Communications Manager Said Deep adds, "Cars are far more complicated to engineer than airplanes and Space Shuttles. [Airplanes] don't have to be subjected to the same conditions customers subject cars to. I don't think there is anything more complex than the amount of engineering that goes into an automobile."

I think that's proof he didn't even read what I posted and when people do that... Anything they say is irreverent, based solely on his opinion which is taken from a single media source. Sad :(

Last edited:

CAT600

Clutchless T56 is GO!
Established Member
Far out, and I thought I took forums seriously back home!... sheesh!

I had heard our 2015 RHD Mustang had been pushed back to 2017... looks like that was a stall tactic to keep us buying Falcons until the door closes at Broadmeadows in Q4 2016

Daniel

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
LOL!!!!! GM pulled the production numbers from the monthly PDF.

General Motors | Investors - Sales & Production | GM.com

Fear the Pill!!!! Ahhhhh Hahahahahahhah!!!! They didn't think anyone would notice? They were right, most don't know the Camaro was actually a sales failure. They used the "top selling" car in the segment line while the Mustang's sales were the worst in the 49 year history. They shouldn't be tied for sales with an elderly model.

Edit: They will probably add the production numbers into the "production by plant" PDF that is due out shortly.

May 2013 Delivery (sales) Stats:

Camaro May 2013 Deliveries (actual sales): 7,929 -12% (Pr Ye)

May 2013 Production Stats:

Camaro Produced in May 2013: ???

Compared to Competition:

Mustang sold 8,797 units in May 2013. -16% (Pr Ye)
Challenger sold 5,537 units in May 2013. 15% (Pr Ye)

Last edited:

R-SPEC015

Established Member
You seem to have a lot to say but the fact is Ford are not dropping out of the Australian market; they are stopping the local manufacturing of cars here. Yes, you do mention that a bit further in your opening post but your opening statement is misleading.

They will become an importer of vehicles only and will retain a substantial engineering arm here.

I am hoping Mustang comes here but you are the first that I have read to seem so certain it won't happen. I would like to understand your reasoning for this.

We should find out soon enough though as Ford will be outlining their future plans in a month or so for the model range here in Australia.

Cheers

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
You seem to have a lot to say but the fact is Ford are not dropping out of the Australian market; they are stopping the local manufacturing of cars here. Yes, you do mention that a bit further in your opening post but your opening statement is misleading.

They will become an importer of vehicles only and will retain a substantial engineering arm here.

I am hoping Mustang comes here but you are the first that I have read to seem so certain it won't happen. I would like to understand your reasoning for this.

We should find out soon enough though as Ford will be outlining their future plans in a month or so for the model range here in Australia.

Cheers

I was about to post that. My feeling is that if its being made for the EU market, the Australia market will be included.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Established Member
Ford can import Mustang's to any country they want. It's really up to the customers at that point. Importing is not market share in my opinion. I bold move for Ford, they had to swallow a lot of pride to graciously bow out of an entire region.

You are correct though, AU will still have an option to buy a 2015 Mustang. The issue is, they will have to pay import prices which could discourage many. I hope they work out a deal someway, somehow to get the Mustang over there.

R-SPEC015

Established Member
Ford can import Mustang's to any country they want. It's really up to the customers at that point. Importing is not market share in my opinion. I bold move for Ford, they had to swallow a lot of pride to graciously bow out of an entire region.

You are correct though, AU will still have an option to buy a 2015 Mustang. The issue is, they will have to pay import prices which could discourage many. I hope they work out a deal someway, somehow to get the Mustang over there.

Thanks "Pill",

At the moment if someone wants to buy a Mustang in AU there are only a handful of workshops that do a good conversion and the prices are pretty high. Like AU$275K for a Shelby Cobra Super Snake and AU$150K+ for a GT500.

Hopefully with it being brought in as a Ford Australia model the prices for something like a GT500 can be similar to what we pay for the current Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) GT, around the AU$80K mark.

Ford's "Vision for Australia" will be early next month and we're hoping they will provide more detail about the Mustang and what will happen with FPV from 2014 to 2016.

FPV was a partnership between Ford and Prodrive but Ford bought them out last year and now FPV is fully "In-House" at Ford.

Cheers

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
It's very clear to see why the Camaro is outselling the Mustang. Better styling than the Mustang and jUst a better all around car. the Camaro and Challenger are going to Kill the Mustang when that Fusion Taurus Looking Mustang comes out.

images_zps8338e3a6.gif

R-SPEC015

Established Member
It was announced at yesterdays Ford Australia's Vision for the Future that Mustang is definitely coming here to Australia.

No other details, will have to wait until the release next year.

Going to be a long few months!!

Users who are viewing this thread