Nitto Recomendation

VMC

Established Member
I'm looking to replace the Vredestein Sessantas on a 96 Cobra. I'm considering the Nitto NT555, Invo, and NT05. Off-the-line grip is important, and would like something with more grip than the Vreds. Wich of these options would hold 300 rwhp the best off the line? Thank you.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
NT05's; I have them on my car as the rears with the 555 Extremes up front and the grip is not far off from the 555R's I had before.

HURTNEM

Well Blow Me Down!!!
Established Member
NT05's; I have them on my car as the rears with the 555 Extremes up front and the grip is not far off from the 555R's I had before.

Really? I keep hearing the NT05s are more sticky than the 555Rs eventhough they're a street tire and the 555Rs are a Drag Radial. Sound illogical, so I'm just trying to get more feedback on this comparison.

Does anyone else have experience with the NT05 vs the 555R? If so, is the NT05 stickier than the Drag Radial 555R?

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thanks for the post HURTNEM and I have to agree, the NT05 is the best option from your list and for what you are looking for out of your tires.

The NT05 has a nice soft compound but it is not an R-Compound competition tire like the NT555R or NT05R. These two tire models use semi-radial construction along with a softer rubber compound specifically for off-the-line traction.

The NT05 Max Performance is geared along the lines for road course so the sidewalls are stiffer to help with cornering and steering response. From the members here and on other boards we sponsor, I often see members say that the NT05 Max Performance provides near like drag radial traction with all the benefits of a dedicated summer tire.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

VMC

Established Member
Is it safe to say an R compound tire would not be a good idea for the street during the colder months (south Georgia)?

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
How does the Nitto NT05 stack up against the Falken Azenis RT-615?

Tough to say since they are both excellent models. What are you looking for out of your next set of tires? How many miles are you driving per year? What are you driving on now and what were your likes and dislikes?

VMC

Established Member
I drive at most 10,000 miles a year (daily driver). I've had Vredestein Sessantas for about 25,000 miles and the rears have seen better days. The car sees about 2 trips to the drag strip and road course each year. It will only be daily driven for one more year, so I need a tire that will last at least until then (10k miles). The only thing that concerns me is the cold early mornings here over the winter, around 30 degrees, having adverse effects on a new tire like this.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
^
Max Performance tires do not fair well in cold climates and tend to crack when they are. I would look into an ultra high performance all-season tire. This class of tire still handles dry conditions very well but will perform better in wet and cold weather conditions.

breoland

Established Member
Not to crash the thread, but im in the market for a set of nt05 and they are a summer tire with a tread rating of 200. I was looking at an 11 roush with 20in wheels and cooper tires with a 220 tread wear rating.
I live in nyc and tend to take the car out in the winter when its sunny but around 40 to 50 degrees just to get the fluids going . how will the 2 compare in the cold? will it destroy the tire

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
^
The Cooper RS3 and the Nitto NT05 are both considered max performance tires. One will not hold up better in cold conditions over the other. An ultra high performance all-season would be the best option for you given the temperaturs you'll be seeing.

Users who are viewing this thread