Nitto NT555 air pressure

SilverCobra7

Philippians 4:13
Established Member
I searched and got many different answers... Since a lot of people are reffuring to the 555R drag radials. Would like to know what everybody's running on their street tires.

Thx

1hot281

Established Member
depends on size of tires and vehicle weight... but 35psi is usually a good baseline for most street tires...

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
Manufacturer spec in the rear (32 psi) and +4 psi in the front (36 psi)

NT555ZR, 275's all around

Anabolic

Banned
nitto should show optimal psi for your nitto 555's... throw THEM an email.. when i had my drag radials (bald anyways) i ran them at 22psi and they hooked pretty good but still with the horse they broke loose...

what is your goal with these tires? are you drag racing? road racing or just driving? what's the temperature like where you live? many factors come when setting accurate tire pressure

definatly contact nitto reguarding your question though.. i would say 28 for the rears on nitto 555s.... 22-25 for 555rs..

1hot281

Established Member
what is your goal with these tires? are you drag racing? road racing or just driving? what's the temperature like where you live? many factors come when setting accurate tire pressure

definatly contact nitto reguarding your question though.. i would say 28 for the rears on nitto 555s.... 22-25 for 555rs..

+1 on there being many factors in choosing the right pressure for your tires. Ford's recommended pressures are decent all-around settings. Soft enough for a comfortable ride. Yet still somewhat stiff enough to not completely ruin handling.

Saleen recommends tires be set at 40psi cold. It may seem high, but it gives much better road feel and responsiveness compared to 34-36psi. The ride is rough, but the bite on initial turn-in is great. The added pressure also helps the tires put up with a sizable portion of the vehicles total weight that may shift to one or two tires under hard cornering and braking.

I'm not sure what size you're running, but with Nitto 555 non-drag radials, the 275/40ZR17's are rated at 1,653lbs Max Load at 44psi... Mustang's aren't light, so i'd go no SOFTER than Ford's recommended 36f/32r pressure for any sort of daily driving. But a little more wouldn't hurt.

Under inflating your tires can have many draw backs. Loss of road feel and responsiveness, the tire tends to "roll over" under hard cornering. The tire is spec'd to hold a certain amount of weight at a certain pressure. Less pressure = less weight the tires can support. Under inflated tires can fail/blow out, wear out prematurely, and the tires will deflect and bend more while rolling, increasing rolling resistance. A difference of only 5 or 6 psi doesn’t seem like a lot, but it usually represents about 15-20% of the tire or vehicle manufacturers total recommended pressure.

Jefe

Established Member
I run 34 front and 29-30 rear on my 555s. Works great. Anymore in the rear and they get hard

Users who are viewing this thread