Nitto invo vs nt555 g2

187Snake

Established Member
Hey guys so I'm needing to get some need tires for my 2012 svtpp and was looking for some opinions on the nt555 g2.

I came from a c6 corvette before the shelby and had a few sets of the invoice on it and loved them. They were a great tire especially for the price. I had the original nt555 on a mustang gt and was not that impressed with them.

I have heard that the nt555 g2 is a big improvement over the regular 555 but I do not know how they compare to the invos.

I noticed on nitto's website that the treadwear is higher on the nt555 g2 than on the invo, but the wet and dry traction meter is higher on the g2 than the invo. I have been under the impression that typically speaking, lower treadwear rating equates to higher traction. How does anyone's real world experience with these tires compare?

This car is my DD and will probably do 295 in the rear if that influences any of your opinions.

On nitto's site they have a 295/35/20 and a 295/40/20 which would you go with?

Also, if I went to a 295 on the rear should I leave the fronts in their stock size or go up in the same increment?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

36382mm

Established Member
Love my G2's been running them since May. Quite, plenty of traction, look great but not a dd. They do run very true in sizing unlike other lines of nittos. You'll be happy with them, I'm pretty picky too.

Stripeless07

Established Member
Dont waste your money on the g2's. I have had them since may, put about 4k on them. They were great the 1st week hooked awesome, even went on 600 mile road trip as soon i got them. Within a month they hardened up and were useless in the rain. I venture to say these tires are as bad or worse then the f1's. I had the orginal 555's on my other car and i never had the issue of them hardening. When it rains its a nightmare to pull off from a stop. My co worker bought them shortly after i did and he has the same issues with wet roads.

Justin Hedlund

Established Member
I had them on my last mustang and did not help with traction issues. As mentioned by Stripeless07 after I had them for awhile it seems they lost traction. I personally would go with a different brand.

187Snake

Established Member
running invos on the Caddie, love them. 0 experience with the new 555's.

I've always had good luck with the invos they have been my "go to" street tire the last few years so I am having trouble getting myself to venture into the unknown with the new 555 g2

Love my G2's been running them since May. Quite, plenty of traction, look great but not a dd. They do run very true in sizing unlike other lines of nittos. You'll be happy with them, I'm pretty picky too.

Dont waste your money on the g2's. I have had them since may, put about 4k on them. They were great the 1st week hooked awesome, even went on 600 mile road trip as soon i got them. Within a month they hardened up and were useless in the rain. I venture to say these tires are as bad or worse then the f1's. I had the orginal 555's on my other car and i never had the issue of them hardening. When it rains its a nightmare to pull off from a stop. My co worker bought them shortly after i did and he has the same issues with wet roads.

This is what worries me. I have read really good reviews on the G2's, but any of the various forum posts I've seen on different sites seem to conflict each other. Some say they are fantastic while others say there is alot left to be desired on the new G2's.. I wonder if you guys got a bad batch of the g2s, or if this is just a common issue they did not foresee.

36382mm have you had any experience with these in the rain? I know you said the car is not your daily, but have you been caught in the rain in it?

I've got invo on my 5.0 and 555 on my lightning.

invo hands down.

Do you have the original 555 on the lightning or the new 555 g2?

I live in a relatively small town of about 120,000 people, so not like a big metro area. So most of the time if it starts raining I can get it home pretty quickly and not be caught in a major down pour, but I do work in the oil business so I am on the road in small towns around the area I live so I need it to be safe during highway rain if I am caught in the rain on the way home.

Last edited:

MastaAce03

Established Member
I had the G2s on my 07 pushing just under 600rwhp and was very happy with them. Just like any tire, they need to be warm for traction. I live in Washington state and have driven in the rain plenty of times. Compared to the Goodyear, night and day difference. Obviously you need to feather the throttle when driving in the rain with 500 plus hp, especially in first. But if traction is all you want, gotta go drag radial.

187Snake

Established Member
I had the G2s on my 07 pushing just under 600rwhp and was very happy with them. Just like any tire, they need to be warm for traction. I live in Washington state and have driven in the rain plenty of times. Compared to the Goodyear, night and day difference. Obviously you need to feather the throttle when driving in the rain with 500 plus hp, especially in first. But if traction is all you want, gotta go drag radial.

Thanks Ace, that definitely helps and gives me more to think about regarding the g2s.
I do want to avoid the drag radials though. My corvette before the shelby had a supercharger among other things and made 630rwhp 590rwtq so I am in agreement that high horsepower, street tires, and traction cannot be used in the same sentence. With that being said, I loved having mickey thompson et street II drag radials on the vette but I got tired of the tread life as it is my daily driver and have alot of highway driving for work so they just got too expensive changing them out all the time so I learned to stick with street tires. I did put on the bridgestone re-11 shortly before selling the vette which were pretty new to the market when I got them and had better dry traction than the invo, but they do not make them in a 20" so they aren't an option.

Last edited:

36382mm

Established Member

Wow that couldn't be more opposite of what I said but they're some big differences here. I run nt05r in rear (sorry I didn't mention that) so my traction comment was in reference to corners and such. I've only put 800 miles on them so maybe mine haven't had time to harden yet and my car never sees the rain.

Last edited:

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member
I'm running the G2 on the fronts of my car. i think they're great. but that doesn't help with any traction advice. running the 555R in the rear.

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
I have G2's all around and love them. 295/35/20 in the rear and they hook great. When cold I can haze the tires in first, but they grip and go after that. Also great in the rain. I'm in Hawaii and have had plenty of that in the last month. Ran Bridgestone potenza's before and it's no comparison

Mike

weider1717

Established Member
Question, how does either of these compares to my stock goodyear super cars that came on my 2007? Would I benefit much grip wise going to the factory size 285's in either of these and taking the goodyears off? I need more traction! 550ish rwhp.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Question, how does either of these compares to my stock goodyear super cars that came on my 2007? Would I benefit much grip wise going to the factory size 285's in either of these and taking the goodyears off? I need more traction! 550ish rwhp.

Those tires were terrible. I had an 09 with the F1s's. The newer 11+ used a different Goodyear and it was marginally better but the Invos, MPSS's, etc.. are much better.

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member

I'm guessing, since your car has low miles, you are still on the original set of tires? If so, they might have a ton of tread left, but the 10 year old compound is harder than a hockey puck. You are due for a new set of tires!

hRnYg0aTw33d

Established Member

the stock goodyears are TRASH. granted mine were old they were a death trap.

Stripeless07

Established Member
Like 187 mentioned it could be a bad batch of tires idk. All i can say is the ones on my car are junk and also my coworkers. His are 18s and mine are 20's, 265- 35- 20 front and 305 -30- 20 out back. If you dd your car like i do, go with the mpss's. The mpss were what i replaced with the nitto g2s and i regret going cheap. The 1st week they felt as good as the mpss's but within a month they became hard. The 1st week they performed awesome in the rain. For the guys that run the g2s and like them, how many miles have you put on them? And im not exaggerating that my g2s are as bad as my f1s in wet weather, and just as hard.

blackvette101

Established Member
295/35's and G2 is the way to go. I sell alot of street tires and the G2 is better. The invo is outdated their will be a new one soon

shelby2

Established Member
I have the 295 rears 255 front, they work extremely well! I had to yo proxy tires and neede something more sticky (HP went up to 863) however I needed something that worked in rain as well, since I daily drive my car. These tires fit the bill, and I'm very happy with them.
Mark

Last edited:

187Snake

Established Member
Sorry I haven't responded in the last couple of days I have been swamped at work, but thank you guys for all of your input. I have decided to try out the g2s and see for myself how they perform. I came to this decision because I know being my DD these will not be my last set of tires by a long shot so I want to try something new and if they do not perform as I expect then I will just go back to the invos as I always had a good experience with them. With that being said, I feel like it is worth the risk that if these g2s turn out to be better than the invos then I will get to utilize the power a bit more and if not Oh well there's always next time.

I have ordered the g2s from discount tire and will have them installed in the next couple of days. When I get them broken in i will report back and give you guys my opinion on their performance.

Users who are viewing this thread