Nitto Drag radials

fangstang

Established Member
I will be replacing my BF Goodrich in the rear within 2 weeks and was considering these tires. Is anyone on this board using these tires? If so, are they good tires? I want something that will stick on the street but will also give me reliable everyday usage. How are they in the rain? I just want to know if this is a good idea cause I'm in need of some new tires in the rear, BADLY!:shrug:

SVT4POP

Established Member
My guess is you'll be going to their 275 by 40 by 17 inches on the rear rims. The hook is just about as good as it gets and you'll likely pay between $140 to $160 per tire.

The "softness" rating for the Nitto Drag Radials ... I think those are the 555R's ... which more or less means the ability of the tire's surface to maximize traction (street or strip) is about 100 (very soft) whereas your BFG's (I'd guess you have somewhere in between 255 by 45 TA/ZR's to 275 by 45 TA/ZR-KDW's) is 300 and thus three times firmer.

In the middle of the two would be something like a Yokohama drag radial that I am told is about a 200 rating. As a general rule of thumb, the lower the softness rating the less miles you'll tend to get. Some of the people I know who drive the Nitto's say they'll be happy to get between 5 to 7k miles out of them. I expect to get above 15k miles on my BFG's (see my sig below).

Nitto's are a well known and for the most part a reliable tire for dealing with the traction realities of an IRS equipped Cobra and are probably the best you can do for maximum strip or street "hook". You should, of course, check out MT drag radials too. I have no opinion on those because I have had no experience with them.

The Nitto's are likely not going to give you as good a traction control on wet surfaces as a fully treaded tire will, ... that's just what the trade off is. What you might consider is finding a set of rims and have the Nitto's mounted on them and use them at the strip or for times when your chances of rain are nonexistant. I don't know where you live, but here in Southern Nevada rain isn't really a frequent concern so Nitto's are the tire of choice by many.

If you're in a fairly rainy climate I'd be hesitant to use the Nitto's for a daily driver. Just one person's thoughts though, ... good luck.

Last edited:

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
Any drag radial will be a handful in the rain. But as far as dr's go,
the nitto's are about the best. But you may want to look into upgrading halfshafts if you haven't already. Ecspecially if you're gonna take it to the track with those tires. Just my opinion.

fangstang

Established Member
I have a 2001 cobra, the halfshafts were upgraded from the factory to 31 spline, so they are strong enough. I'm not too crazy about the rain thing, one mistake and I'm sideways. I guess I'll stick to the stock BF goodrich. Thanks guys

TTAFB_SVT

BETHA'S BACK !!!!!!!
Established Member
I have a 2001 cobra too and I know they upgraded the axles. But a sticky track with sticky tires will still break shafts like candy canes. I've actually heard of a couple people(with 01's) breaking them with the stock tires on. Staying with the stock tires isn't a bad idea though. My bf's hook pretty good for a factory tire.

fangstang

Established Member
Yeah, I know they will break on the track under sticky conditions, the BF Goodrich hook pretty well on the street, so I guess I'll stay with them.

Toddzilla

Established Member
I run Nitto DRs on my 1990 coupe full time and I live in Seattle where it rains all of the time and the drag radials hook just as well, if not better than the stock tires on wet pavement. They are perfect on a street car. The only time that they will be worse is driving through puddles.

fangstang

Established Member
Originally posted by Toddzilla

They drive like any other street tire at speed and they hook very well around corners.

Are they better then my BF goodrich comp TA's around the corners.

Toddzilla

Established Member
They should be better than any street tire in the corners. To give you an idea, I also have a 383 rwhp 90 lx that I run drag radials on full time and when I corner quickly under throttle, it takes quite a bit to get the rear to step out.

CobraF/I

Established Member
Hey, I have a question. I am having my supercharger put on :)cuss: should have been done by now). If I put sticky tires on and I'm making let's say ~400HP at the wheels and gun it. Will I kill my car? Haha, just wondering, I'm going to keep my stock tires for now. Thanks

:chicken:

supersp0rt

Established Member
im running 275 nitto 555r's out back and once they are heated somewhat, hookup very well. im running a 3500 stall with a 2.5 str so i need they traction and they give it to me very well.

fangstang

Established Member
Is it possible to break the 2001 halfshafts on the street with these tires? I know you solid axle guys have no problems, but its our IRS that sucks under too much stress.

P.S. I normally launch at 2500rpm on the street with the stock BFG, amd dont spin too much, I ride the clutch alittle untill it really pulls.

Users who are viewing this thread