Nitrous plugs

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
So in the past I have always run NGK TR6 plugs i cant remembering the gap its been a long time so hopefully someone can help wanted to change them out before i get the car retuned.. Looking to bump it up to 150 shot running 103 octane fuel... if anyone has other plug suggestions also willling to change.. Havent been driving the car past 6 years so havent kept up with the latest and greatest
thanks

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Why not pull a plug and check the gap? That should jog the memory. The BRE7F is one step colder than the TR6. Do you need to go colder with that shot and race gas?

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
Why not pull a plug and check the gap? That should jog the memory. The BRE7F is one step colder than the TR6. Do you need to go colder with that shot and race gas?
The tuner said possibly go colder so I was looking for a lil direction.. and to verify they were gapped properly before I like to hear the advice from others because just because I did something 8 years ago doesnt mean its the best today.. ya know ?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I’m running TR6’s gapped at .28 and I’m using c16 for fuel whipple 2.9 car
I’m also putting on a 100-150 dry shot in next month and I’m going to keep the plugs where they are and see what happens on the dyno

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The tuner said possibly go colder so I was looking for a lil direction.. and to verify they were gapped properly before I like to hear the advice from others because just because I did something 8 years ago doesnt mean its the best today.. ya know ?
But if it was running fine 8 years ago I'd keep going with it.

I'll admit I'm not a nitrous guy. I have a buddy that loves it and over only learned some stuff second hand. I'm running the BR7EF in my current set up and I'm happy with them. But I'm on pump gas.

Does nitrous have the same octane limits like boost? That's something I've been wondering. Can you only run up to a certain shot on 91 or 93 octane? Or is it pretty open because of the cooling affect of nitrous?

nxhappy

Established Member
But if it was running fine 8 years ago I'd keep going with it.

I'll admit I'm not a nitrous guy. I have a buddy that loves it and over only learned some stuff second hand. I'm running the BR7EF in my current set up and I'm happy with them. But I'm on pump gas.

Does nitrous have the same octane limits like boost? That's something I've been wondering. Can you only run up to a certain shot on 91 or 93 octane? Or is it pretty open because of the cooling affect of nitrous?
no it depends on HP and displacement. the range you want is 20-30% based on the motor HP. and even then a 150-200 shot is pretty aggressive. you always want 2 steps colder on plugs. and back off the timing 1 or 2 degrees.

bakers4v4_6

Established Member
no it depends on HP and displacement. the range you want is 20-30% based on the motor HP. and even then a 150-200 shot is pretty aggressive. you always want 2 steps colder on plugs. and back off the timing 1 or 2 degrees.
Okay so this is prolly why he said i might wanna go a step colder than TR6 we are going from 100 shot on pump gas to 150 on 103 octane... I will get 2 step colder plugs and keep the others on hand if needed during tuning.. If the car is mainly gonna be street driven with the occasional trip to the track maybe once a year will i see any difference in the 2 step colder plugs?
mind you this is a 99 ive owned for 18 years and only put 20k miles on it
thanks for any help

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Maybe the two steps colder. Friend of mine has been running one step colder in his Charger for a few years and can't tell a difference. The only difference I noticed going one step colder was no more knocking at WOT.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Run the BRE7F. It’s one step colder but equally as important it doesn’t have a protruding point which is much better in preventing detonation. generally it’s 2 degrees of timing pulled for every 50hp. This is conservative, you can pull the plug and check the timing mark on the strap after a run to see if timing can be added back. I pull 8 degrees but could add some back.
B1DE13FE-1CB8-4D7B-8457-0183157A7949.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread