Nitrous License! WTF

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
I picked up the new MM&FF Magazine, and there is this huge article on NO2. At the end of the article is says something about using Nitrous if you have the proper license to carry it in your car. It says many states have this as a law. It even showed an example of a license application for the state of New Jersey. Or this new, or has this been around for a long time? And what other states require Nitrous Licenses. :shrug:

Wicked4.6DOHC

Rattle Snake
Established Member
in MD u must have your local Fire department must inspect your car and the N2O system.

then you must display a sticker on the front and back of your car that says you have it in the car

If you have th bottle hooked up on the street its 8 a point ticket!

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
In California they searched an old Honda of mine. Back then I was a true believer that a NOS sticker gave you horsepower. They tore my car apart looking for it and wouldn't pay for ripping the back seat.

I just hide it where they can't find it. I have lines running to the spare tire, behind the dash (sneaky pete), and under my seat to put in a gym bag behind the seat. No more stickers to advertise it.

I'm pretty sure you need some sort of authorization to have it in your car.

URDONE

Be Easy
Established Member
I will try and post the application tonight. Maybe Illinois doen't have any laws that prohibit the use of Nitrous, that is why I am so unaware of there being laws on Nitrous.

Blowme

check your state guidance, I don't think any of the kits are a reportable quantities (10-15 lb bottles), for transporting on public roads. It's probably illegal for USE on public roads, but transporting it is a different story. You should be able to find HAZMAT (Hazardous Matierial) transport guidance/requirements and reportable quantities on the internet. Let me give you an example, A tanker truck containing fuel, the tank is marked with placards (Flammable liquid), your car carries fuel every day, but no placards (not a reportable quantity). As far as the sticker goes, the bottles are labled appropriatly (OXIDIZER placard) and if the quantity is not reportable, according to HAZMAT guadance, then a sticker on the outside of the car is not required and if the sticker is not a orange diamond, with OXIDIZER written on it, it's not a legal placard (IE..This car has nitrous, would not suffice). Some schmo, probably saw the car blow up in Fast and Furyass and thought he should make up some new laws. Hope that helps.

RRTX

Established Member
Yep, there is no size nitrous bottle you could fit in a car that would make it a reportable quantity requireing placards. Well maybe in a really big car with a bunch of bottles lol

Users who are viewing this thread