Nitromethane, anyone run it with e85?

Steve@Tasca

My boss goes through a fair bit of it in his weekend car, not sure if he's mixing with E85 though ;)

534397_3877249287372_2059054336_n_zps6db4233d.jpg

mechanicboy

Established Member
My boss goes through a fair bit of it in his weekend car, not sure if he's mixing with E85 though ;)

534397_3877249287372_2059054336_n_zps6db4233d.jpg

Probably not mixed with e85 lmao.

I'm just wondering if I need an extra 2-3 tenths if this is a safe option. Maybe I should just ask Shaun as he's my tuner.

gremlinsteve

Established Member
I mix mine with methanol. But I've seen guys mix up to 40 percent into pump gas
It will mix wth 85 no issues

Propelyn oxide mixes with nitro for an added"kick"
But I'd stay away from that

mechanicboy

Established Member
I mix mine with methanol. But I've seen guys mix up to 40 percent into pump gas
It will mix wth 85 no issues

Propelyn oxide mixes with nitro for an added"kick"
But I'd stay away from that

40%, where their eyes burning while idling!? I think it would provide enough kick for me by itself.

mustang john

Established Member
I remember an article Hot Rod did several years back where they did a dyno and track tests on a junkyard 350 engine with varying levels of nitromethane. It was an interesting read, I will do some digging.

mechanicboy

Established Member
I remember an article Hot Rod did several years back where they did a dyno and track tests on a junkyard 350 engine with varying levels of nitromethane. It was an interesting read, I will do some digging.

You find that? I did a google search and didn't find it.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Corrosive as hell.

Nitromethane as a fuel additive.

We are sometimes asked about adding nitro to gasoline or methanol. This is possible and it has been done successfully. However, there are a number of problems that make this impractical. These include the corrosive nature of the combustion gasses after nitromethane is burned. This process produces large amounts of nitric acid, which is not only corrosive but toxic. To prevent serious corrosion, a thorough flushing of the fuel system and motor is necessary after use. While it burns slowly, there is also the danger of explosion when nitro is used. Another issue is solubility. If you are running methanol, there is no problem as nitromethane and methanol mix freely. But nitro does not mix easily with gasoline. So, if a nitro/gas mixture is desired additional chemicals must be added to prevent separation.

Source: Kennedy's Dynotune The Premier High Performance Automotive Shop

mustang john

Established Member
You find that? I did a google search and didn't find it.

No I didn't, I searched for almost and hour and I just cant remember when and in what mag I saw it. Im pretty sure they took a 350 chevy based car that ran on alcohol and they added in the nitro in 5/10/15/20% ratios and dynoed and tracked the car and I think they settled on about 15% that was the most bang for the least amount of issues. I want to say the car picked up a half second on the 15% ratio and made 70-80 more rwhp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread