Nissan GT-R owners ...are you happy with your purchase?

IA Shelby

Established Member
I have 2 verts today.

Considering getting rid of one of them (modded 11GT500) and getting a 2014 Nissan GTR.

For those who have had a terminator of Shelby, are you glad you purchased a GTR?

Pros / Cons.

Thanks for your input.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
I have 2 verts today.

Considering getting rid of one of them (modded 11GT500) and getting a 2014 Nissan GTR.

For those who have had a terminator of Shelby, are you glad you purchased a GTR?

Pros / Cons.

Thanks for your input.

I will let you know in about a week what my impressions are. Car was picked up today for shipping to me.

I think it will be a little bit of shock at first going from 700hp to 400-500. It's all about what your looking for. I wanted a car I could just jump in and drive. Yet if I wanted to race slap it into manual mode and have some fun.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I will let you know in about a week what my impressions are. Car was picked up today for shipping to me.

I think it will be a little bit of shock at first going from 700hp to 400-500. It's all about what your looking for. I wanted a car I could just jump in and drive. Yet if I wanted to race slap it into manual mode and have some fun.

Your thinking is identical to mine.

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Your thinking is identical to mine.

Yep buddy got a 09 about a year ago. I was sold on the awd when he took me for a ride. It just rolled out. Biggest issue with these cars is mainatence. Since I only drove my GT500 about 6k miles a year figured I could swing it pretty easily. If you daily drive it I think would,get crazy expensive to maintain.

I'm getting a 09 so may not stack up to a 14 your looking at.

Oh and don't mod it unless you get in good with service manager/dealer. They know EVERYTHING you do to the car.

Steve@BAS

Established Member
I spent a few hours yesterday in my good friends new 2014 gtr. Things I loved, we fit 2 sets of golf clubs, has 2 seats in back (just incase you have to stick the ladies back there, you can!), awesome seats and interior, still gets noticed by the masses but you can park in a normal parking lot and not fear getting keyed/vandalized. And insane power band.

I think for a full time 'toy' a used 04-06Gallardo/F430/V8 R8/Viper/ZR1 would be a little bit better and in same ~100K price range, but if you plan on occasionally daily driving, and want to use in more situations than just cruises, taking one friend along, etc, the GTR is soo much better.

IA Shelby

Established Member
I like a warranty and look forward to the ability to drive it more than 6 months a year if I needed.

There isn't a lambo or ferrari dealer within 250 miles of me so that is out of the question.

I have 3 kids so 4 seats appeals to me. Appreciate the feedback.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
I'm guessing not many people on here got rid of their Cobra's for a GTR....

But I would assume the GTR will blow the Cobra/Shelby out of the water in MANY ways especially the 03/04 Cobra, IMO.

testorossa1989

Established Member
I know a few Nissan mechanics that are certified to work on GT-Rs and they like them but say the upkeep is just too much. This is a long time ago but one of them said a complete brake job cost like $10k. It was YEARS ago and personally it doesnt make much sense

Cons - You bought the driver mod. Expect tons of people assume you have no clue how to drive a car on a track

Last edited:

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
You checked out American Dream Machines? Every once in awhile they get an exotic in. I bought my car at Theil Motors in eastern Iowa and they had a Lotus Elise there.

Maybe wait around until the Mecum auctions come back to Des Moines (if they do)...not sure if they'll have anything decent, but might be worth waiting around. Then again, with winter on approach you might score a good deal on a summer car.

Posted via Topify using Android

04svtterm

Established Member
I don't exactly own a GTR, but i was in your same boat. I actually went to test drive one and absolutely loved it! alot of haters who haven't even touched the car will tell you how its dummy proof and boring and blah blah blah. It's because they want to feel better about their 2001 mustang gt with a catback. LOL

Drive it you will love it. I was a bit snug in it, but i'm a tree. Once you are in and driving...its a blast. It is very quick and the power seems so smooth. That was the biggest surprise for me was how smooth it felt inside. Only reason i didnt buy it right there was because i wanted to buy used and realized new is really the best way. $110k price tag can be a bit intimidating lol. Now that the 2015 Escalade is released, i have to update my 2011 to a 2015 before i start talking weekend toys.

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
I don't exactly own a GTR, but i was in your same boat. I actually went to test drive one and absolutely loved it! alot of haters who haven't even touched the car will tell you how its dummy proof and boring and blah blah blah. It's because they want to feel better about their 2001 mustang gt with a catback. LOL

Drive it you will love it. I was a bit snug in it, but i'm a tree. Once you are in and driving...its a blast. It is very quick and the power seems so smooth. That was the biggest surprise for me was how smooth it felt inside. Only reason i didnt buy it right there was because i wanted to buy used and realized new is really the best way. $110k price tag can be a bit intimidating lol. Now that the 2015 Escalade is released, i have to update my 2011 to a 2015 before i start talking weekend toys.

Wait...aren't you the one looking to make a 9 second Escalade? Even that's not gonna be your weekend toy!?? Lol

04svtterm

Established Member
Wait...aren't you the one looking to make a 9 second Escalade? Even that's not gonna be your weekend toy!?? Lol

9 second? lol i was thinking about doing something to the escalde to make it faster, but after seeing the new 2015s...i'm just going to trade it in. I love the new shape.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Check the viper vs gtr threads for my impressions. I had nothing but problems with my gt500. It was a pos. the gtr has been perfect so far. Hard to beat a car you can slap snow tires on and drive all winter, but that's what I did last year. And then run to the track and go 10's stock. You won't miss the Shelby. I have my vette when I want to bang the gears and hear an American v8. When I want to hurt feelings I drive the gtr. My kids love it too. Wife can drive it. Been happy so far

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
9 second? lol i was thinking about doing something to the escalde to make it faster, but after seeing the new 2015s...i'm just going to trade it in. I love the new shape.

Haha...I got a comment you made about an 9 second F-Body mixed up. If I put a little more thought into that before I typed I would have realized how ridiculous a 9 second Escalade would be!!!

Alright, I'll let this get back on topic.

Check the viper vs gtr threads for my impressions. I had nothing but problems with my gt500. It was a pos. the gtr has been perfect so far. Hard to beat a car you can slap snow tires on and drive all winter, but that's what I did last year. And then run to the track and go 10's stock. You won't miss the Shelby. I have my vette when I want to bang the gears and hear an American v8. When I want to hurt feelings I drive the gtr. My kids love it too. Wife can drive it. Been happy so far

I know they were going to start covering those transmission issues under warranty after guys were having them bust after a couple sport mode launches (or whatever it's called), but is a hard launch in sport mode a couple of times still blowing them up these days? Just curious really...
Some of the other guys mentioned some insane general maintenance fees on the level of buying a brand new small car. What can you say to that? Again, just curious...

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member

Thanks for the feedback. I am keeping my 04 cobra so American Muscle will remain in the garage. Just looking for something different.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
I know they were going to start covering those transmission issues under warranty after guys were having them bust after a couple sport mode launches (or whatever it's called), but is a hard launch in sport mode a couple of times still blowing them up these days? Just curious really...
Some of the other guys mentioned some insane general maintenance fees on the level of buying a brand new small car. What can you say to that? Again, just curious...

you can use launch mode anytime you want, if the car is stock. the newer gtr's don't void your warranty if you launch them. my car is coming up on 6k miles, which i think is some sort of maintenance schedule (fluids?) not sure. i know trans fluid needs swapped out at 12k-ish miles, and that might be $2k to do, or can be done for $500 by yourself. i've done 2 oil changes on the car, and will likely do a third pretty soon---those are cheap for me $50, because i have a lift.

i've heard of $10k brake jobs, and then heard that's not necessary. should be a couple thousand with rotors/etc.

bottom line::::

its a $100k car. if you can afford a $100k car, then the maintenance should not be a huge issue.

xenodragon

Established Member
its a $100k car. if you can afford a $100k car, then the maintenance should not be a huge issue.

While that SHOULD be true, alot of people buy these cars and drain every penny they have buying the car. Hence, why the maintenance questions always pop up. Like you said, if you can TRUELY afford the car, mainteance shouldnt be a problem

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member

While that SHOULD be true, alot of people buy these cars and drain every penny they have buying the car. Hence, why the maintenance questions always pop up. Like you said, if you can TRUELY afford the car, mainteance shouldnt be a problem

I think that's true with a lot of people with cars at any price range. That's probably why so many people drive around with only liability or less and fail to do the simplest of maintenance in their daily drivers.

That said, a routine maintenance equal to a 1/5 the purchase price would seem ridiculous to me especially if it was to occur before 100k miles.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread