Nissan Europe Rumor Mill: GTR Powered Super-Juke

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
This could be very interesting... Although I'm still wondering how they'll cram that powertrain into the Juke. It's a very small car if you haven't sat in one(Versa-sized). Pretty cool idea though.

Nissan building GT-R based 'Super Juke' (rumor)
nissanSUPERJUKE2_610x354.jpg

What do you get when you cross a Nissan Juke with a GT-R?

On paper, the Nissan GT-R and the Nissan Juke have quite a bit in common. Both cars feature all-wheel-drive systems, both are powered by turbocharged engines, and both have been "blessed" with looks that even a mother would be strained to love. Look past the broad strokes, however, and we shouldn't have to say that these are two very different cars. In fact, stating that the Juke's 1.6-liter turbo, CVT, and Xtronic AWD system pales in comparison to the GT-R's 3.8-liter twin turbo V-6, dual-clutch six-speed gearbox, and ATTESA E-TS dual driveshaft AWD system verges on the understatement of the year, but what if the Juke shared a bit more DNA with the mighty GT-R? That's the question that Nissan Europe may be asking with the rumored development of a "Super Juke."

Aside from the wilder styling hinted at in this leaked rendering--which includes a wide body kit, GT-R style hood vents, and not one, but two roof spoilers--the Super Juke will also benefit from larger GT-R-style black finish wheels filling the enlarged wheel wells and upgraded brakes. It also looks like the Super Juke is crouched just a bit lower than stock as well.

This isn't the first wildly styled Juke that we've seen, but the speculation doesn't stop there. Rumors point to a detuned version of the Nissan GT-R's 3.8-liter twin turbocharged engine residing under the Juke's hood outputting somewhere in the neighborhood of 480-horsepower (down from the GT-R's 530-ish horsepower mill). I'm surprised that the larger engine and the ducting required for a pair of turbos will fit under the Super Juke's hood.

There's also no word on whether the Juke's CVT-based Xtronic AWD system has been beefed up to deal with the increased power or if the GT-R's esoteric ATTESA E-TS Pro AWD system has been swapped in.

The Super Juke is likely a one-off model being developed for some car show, but we won't know for certain until the more details are officially revealed. Odds are slim that this most beastly of Jukes will ever see public consumption. We know that at least one Juke-loving Car Tech editor is waiting with bated breath. (Regular listeners of the Car Tech Live podcast will know exactly who I'm talking about.)

Read more: Nissan building GT-R based 'Super Juke' (rumor) | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
I've always thought the Jukes looked kinda cool, in a quirky unique sort of way.

Would be neat to see one like this!

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
cool idea but the Juke is one of the ugliest cars ever made.

I still think the Nissan Cube is uglier... I've sold the most in my dealership since it came out which is only 5 I think? Every customer that ever mentions it's name is just commenting on how ugly it is. But I do agree the Juke is retarded looking as well, especially in person. Good thing though is that it's been selling well and in high demand. It's actually not too boring to drive either with 188hp turbo engine in that small little vehicle with awd. I don't know if there is an aftermarket for it but I'd like to drive one with more power if they ever did anything for them.

+1.

Would be intersting. Kind of seems like a competitor for the Focus RS. Although if this car did have a GT-R drivetrain it would be a scary car to compete with.

I don't think this will ever be a production model, just basically a look what I can do kind of thing.

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
Nissan building Juke-R super crossover* | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews

"Nissan building Juke-R super crossover*
By: Antuan Goodwin October 4, 2011 11:07 AM PDT

Print

19 comments

Nissan Juke-R

Nissan has confirmed that it is building the rumored 'Super Juke.'
(Credit: Nissan)

Juke-R badge (Credit: Nissan)

Last week, we reported that Nissan was rumored to be building a "Super Juke" variant of its already oddball Juke small crossover. Today, we have confirmation from Nissan that it is building the Juke-R, as the vehicle has come to be known, creating the first-ever super crossover. This is the same automaker that built a convertible crossover; why are we still surprised?

The formula is simple: take the Nissan Juke and wholesale import the Nissan GT-R's power train into its chassis. The official release specifies that the Juke-R will be powered by a version of the GT-R's 3.8-liter, twin-turbocharged V-6 that sends 480 horsepower through the GT-R's six-speed gearbox and a shortened version of the ATTESA-ETS Pro dual driveshaft AWD system and to the ground through four 20-inch Rays forged wheels, also from the GT-R.

Building the Juke-R

From the looks of the photos, Nissan is importing a mostly intact Nissan GT-R power train.
(Credit: Nissan)

Inside, the Juke-R will also benefit from a GT-R cabin tech transplant in the form of a 7-inch touch-screen display with customizable digital gauges for monitoring nearly every aspect of the vehicle's performance. Nissan specified that the Juke's motorcycle-style center console will remain, but that's likely one of the only stock bits that will, as the Juke-R's interior will mostly be stripped to make room for an FIA-compliant roll cage and dual racing bucket seats with five-point harnesses. Nissan expects to actually race this thing, although likely not in any official capacity.

Which brings us to the reason for that clever asterisk is this article's headline. Although Nissan is building the Juke-R, it will be "a one-off, road-legal concept car." Technically, it'll be a two-off since Nissan will actually be building a pair of them--one in right-hand drive and another in left-hand drive (presumably as a gift to Wayne Cunningham, CNET's resident Juke enthusiast).

When asked why it is creating such a mad machine, a representative replied, "Nissan is building the Juke-R because we can." Who can argue with that logic?"

[youtube_browser]aq9ioyLZVXE[/youtube_browser]

Last edited:

90goldtsiawd

Established Member
If they can get rid of some of that ugly, I would be interested. Any guesses on a final cost?

If you read the articles, it says this is a one off build "just because they can", not a production vehicle.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Yup, this will never, ever be a production vehicle.

I don't know about never.

The "Juke-R" itself might not be a production vehicle, but the fact that Nissan even commissioned this one/two-off which I'm sure costs a ton, and from I've read and watched, all point to the fact that they're at least researching the feasibility of this kind of car, or something close to it.

Imagine all the fanboys that will line up for this kind of car. Hell, make it cheaper than 35K, and even I'd consider it. I'd try to make it look as much as a base Juke though, just for the sleeper factor. :coolman:

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
That super juke would be ridiculous. But even if they made a "Juke-R" with say... "only" 300hp, it would be a wild ride.
Just last weekend, I bought a Juke as my daily driver. Pretty fun little car. The AWD system is incredible. It's nothing like the simple systems used in run-of-the-mill AWD cars. (It puts my wife's Subaru Legacy to shame) Throw the Juke through some hard turns and you can feel it transferring power around to keep it going where it should and shiny-side up.
It is weird driving something with an engine about 1/3 the size and 1/2 the horsepower of my Cobra. But it's actually pretty quick for what it is. With the CVT it seems to have torque on tap pretty much any time and almost no turbo lag. For the price it comes with a lot of tech and options you don't normally see in the low-$20K market.

The looks -- well... either you like it or you don't. But I'll tell you they look way better in person than in pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread