Nissan 400Z Launch

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I laugh whenever I see a 350z or whatever the **** they are called. George W was president when they first rolled off the line, I can't believe they still make them. Sad.

There have been Mustangs since Franklin Roosevelt was president, and Corvettes since Teddy.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I laugh whenever I see a 350z or whatever the **** they are called. George W was president when they first rolled off the line, I can't believe they still make them. Sad.

Dude the 370z ran for 13 years! And it's only a face-lift from the 350z iirc. I'll give them credit, they're definitely getting their money's worth on RnD.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member

For a second I couldn't tell if you meant Washington(as a joke) or Dubya, but either way it's still true lol.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Overall it's a decent package, but the report stating that the 15% performance increase over the 370Z "could result in a sub-five-second 0-60 mph time" definitely chips away much of the enthusiasm.

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yes lol. Full disclosure, I didn’t realize I typed European instead of Asian. My mistake is now public and there’s no going back and fixing it now. I will take my beating.

This is why forums are better than social media. You took it like a man. Respect.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
The stock turbos are super tiny. Still, a tune should see that engine make around 450rwhp and 500rwtq on a pump gas tune and exhaust.

It has integrated exhaust manifolds in the head so fitting an aftermarket turbo will be very difficult. Pure and R/T turbo are the o my company to offer an upgrade, they're just different CHRAs in the stock housings. AMS has done a turbo swap with aftermarket adapters but they've not released anything to the public.

Are the manifolds totally integrated into the head, like some of the diesels and hot-Vs, or does it have a "turbofold" where the turbine housing is part of the manifold?

Laughs in Charger/Challenger

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Are the manifolds totally integrated into the head, like some of the diesels and hot-Vs, or does it have a "turbofold" where the turbine housing is part of the manifold?

Laughs in Charger/Challenger

They are integrated into the exhaust manifold..

5152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=9267fe&_nc_ohc=qx3XU-EBsAgAX8l_ZOc&_nc_ht=scontent-dfw5-2.jpg

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Yes lol. Full disclosure, I didn’t realize I typed European instead of Asian. My mistake is now public and there’s no going back and fixing it now. I will take my beating.

This is why forums are better than social media. You took it like a man. Respect.

But will he apologize if I call him a racist? Let’s see.

Racist!

If it slides in under 35,000 then I’d say it’s a good deal even if it options into the 50s.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member

The exhaust port on the head is just one giant hole and the turbo housing is integrated as part of a manifold.

Due to packaging, you can't bolt a turbo directly to the head via an adapter. You'll have to make something with a 90 degree bend down and keep it close to the block.

Here's a pick of the cylinder head to compliment the turbos posted above
Head2.jpg

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
Wow...it may not be German but it looks like a whole new level of "vat in ze ****in" German engineering.

Probably has to do that to have enough clearance in the engine bay versus a standard manifold. Lots of tradeoffs on exhaust port geometry I'm sure. But at least it's a pretty simple rectangular flange.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Wow...it may not be German but it looks like a whole new level of "vat in ze ****in" German engineering.

Probably has to do that to have enough clearance in the engine bay versus a standard manifold. Lots of tradeoffs on exhaust port geometry I'm sure. But at least it's a pretty simple rectangular flange.

its tight AF in that engine bay... I did AMS/Red Alpha Air Intakes and holyshit there is no room.

Balt21

Established Member
I like it and could see it as a possible future car for me. I've been following the new Z and WRX/STi for quite a while and really like the Z.

My odd gripe with the Z are the 3 gauges on the dash. From the Nissan website:
Legendary triple pod cluster
A Z legacy, in the all-new 2023 Z, you get key information including turbo boost, turbine speed – yes, up to 220,000 rpm – and voltage.

Boost is good, but who has ever cared enough about turbine speed to put a gauge on the dash for it? I'd rather have oil pressure/temp instead of turbine speed and voltage, but at least the third isn't a clock like the 350z/370z.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Should of had 400 hp 10 years ago.
Car looks good, but NISSIAN never kept up.
Way back in the day the TT would run with its contemporaries.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
Btw, the VR30 is a little underrated in 300hp or 400hp form. The 300hp versions put down 300-320rwp/300rwtq and the 400hp versions put down 375-380rwhp/360rwtq.

Again, a downpipe/exhaust and tune only will get them to ~430rwhp/500rwtq. Stock turbos are tapped out at that point.

The VR30 is a pretty good engine. My Q50 scoots ok enough for a 3800lb 4 door daily. It gets 31+mpg driving at 75-80 on the interstate. When it's tuned, it'll run 12 flat/high 11s. Not bad for $1600 in mods when it runs mid/high 13s stock.

The Z will push development along for the engine. Can't wait to see turbo adapter kits finally.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Should of had 400 hp 10 years ago.
Car looks good, but NISSIAN never kept up.
Way back in the day the TT would run with its contemporaries.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I agree. It's a performance coupe and that 400hp would have been fine a few years ago. Today, it needed to be in the 425-450hp range IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread