Niche line change?

Papaw

Established Member
I attended a local car show in Seaside, Ca. today called "Exotics on Broadway". There was a new 2020 GT500 there so I took a look and noticed that the engine build tag was signed by only one assembler. At least it looked like only one signature. Up until now all GT500 engines have been assembled on the niche engine line by a team of two mechanics. Does anyone know if they have gotten away from team building of the GT500 engines?

Snoopy49

Established Member
According to this video, they still use a team of two mechanics to build each engine. 11:18 on the video.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice video! I would have been VERY surprised if Ford had, indeed, backed away from the 2-man team engine builds for the GT-500.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
There were a good 6-8 prototypes on Woodward yesterday at 9 mile, and each time one would open the hood, I noticed only one signature also.

Jeff D

Established Member
I could see prototypes being one person as they where building mules to test and destroy. I see everywhere they are still saying 2 for production

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Papaw

Established Member
OK, I'll count it as bad penmanship. I didn't want to lean on the carbon fiber grill support to get real close to it. I suppose it could have two jammed together.
On another note, the absence of a shifter of any kind and having a rotary knob instead seemed to blend in just fine with all the exotics there.

The GT500, with hood up, proudly displaying it's V8 and supercharger.
Next to it was a new Ford GT, hood closed. cylinder envy

Off the subject, I have never heard so many flat plane crank V8s, V10s, and V12s dancing off the rev limiter! People were doing that on every surrounding street and intersection. I guess the acquisition of wealth has no bearing on the acquisition of maturity.

Established Member
I just read somewhere last week that they went to one engine assembler... Said something about quality improvement having a single person from a-z, so it's interesting to be brought up.

There are a few good track shots in that vid and it is clear the car will be a monster

Last edited:

Snoopy49

Established Member
If you notice in the video, most of the engines in the Pre-Production GT500's were built at the Beech Daly Technical Center - Dearborn Heights, Michigan. All the production engines will be built at the Romeo Engine Plant.

It looks like there are 2 builders, They just sign on the same line.

2020_Shelby_GT500_Engine-.jpg

Last edited:

GT500Nu-B

I just read somewhere last week that they went to one engine assembler... Said something about quality improvement having a single person from a-z, so it's interesting to be brought up.

There are a few good track shots in that vid and it is clear the car will be a monster
Have a friend that I work with who has a 2007 GT500, 40th anniversary car that has the same signature twice on the engine plaque. Friend said that at the time his engine was assembled, his partner was on vacation, so he signed the plaque twice.

blk02edge

Established Member
If you notice in the video, most of the engines in the Pre-Production GT500's were built at the Beech Daly Technical Center - Dearborn Heights, Michigan. All the production engines will be built at the Romeo Engine Plant.

It looks like there are 2 builders, They just sign on the same line.

View attachment 1593629
I actually think the square plaque looks better than that pre-pro casted in snake

Snoopy49

Established Member
I guess anything is possible when we're talking Pre-production vehicles.
Maybe his partner wasn't there that day and the show has to go on.
If you look at any of the videos of the 2013-14 GT500 engine build, there is one person assembling the engine and the other one is the gofor.

Papaw

Established Member
I guess anything is possible when we're talking Pre-production vehicles.
Maybe his partner wasn't there that day and the show has to go on.
If you look at any of the videos of the 2013-14 GT500 engine build, there is one person assembling the engine and the other one is the gofor.

I agree, the one you posted is definitely two signatures. I don't know what's up with the one I saw yesterday. I guess time will tell.

svt662

Established Member
Love the car. Srs. But some of the guys in here that bought it sound like liberal pork wolves in London.
It’s like sitting at a bar having a good time and then some drunk comes in and sits next to you and starts talking crap.. We know how the story ends!

Users who are viewing this thread