NHTSA open up investigation on the MT82

Status
Not open for further replies.

05_Evolution

I wish I was fast
Established Member
Bodymore, Murderland (Baltimore, Maryland)
Since there's an investigation now, I'd expect that response.

good point.

Soooo, because the two you talked to had not heard of the issue doesn't mean others in FCS haven't. What was your point anyway??

So tools like you can get their panties in a bunch. Calm down dude

jmatero

Established Member
I do, they have cars under warranty and Ford should fix them. Why should they spend money out of pocket if the tranny is having issues. I have friends with and without problem trannies. Those with the problems shouldn't have to modify theirs to fix them

Look, if I bought this as a track car, I'd be all over a new clutch, better fluid, even the transmission cooler Ford Racing has for the MT82.

I drive 10 highway miles to work and back every day... and go on great twisty roads on the weekends. My car was $36,680.00. It has 5000 miles on it... and the problems started at 1400. Telling folks that they should spend $$$$ on parts and labor for a car who's main selling point is quality performance "on the cheap" just to make it work as well as a $9,000 Kia Rio is ridiculous.

Last edited:

MyStang2010GB

Established Member
Look, if I bought this as a track car, I'd be all over a new clutch, better fluid, even the transmission cooler Ford Racing has for the MT82.

I drive 10 highway miles to work and back every day... and go on great twisty roads on the weekends. My car was $36,680.00. It has 5000 miles on it... and the problems started at 1400. Telling folks that they should spend $$$$ on parts and labor for a car who's main selling point is quality performance "on the cheap" just to make it work as well as a $9,000 Kia Rio is ridiculous.

I agree with you

wbt

Banned

I get where you are coming from. Difference is I take my car to the track with very little street driving. I will say even stock I didn't have the issues you and others have experienced.

I am curious to see the final % of owners with problems once the investigation is complete.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
The TR6060 isn't the solution. Well, I mean it could be, but it's not the right solution.

The MT82 is the better transmission for the GT and Boss. Tremec's have had a long reputation for not liking high rpm engines. While the 6060 certainly has the fortitude to handle the torque, it's wide gearing, double over-drive and bulkiness doesn't lend it to the application for the GT and the Boss nearly as well as the MT82 does.

While the average torque for the coyote falls below the maximum torque specifications for the MT82, it's still right on the verge there and if you spend a lot of time around peak torque, you're overdoing it.

Being that the 302S and up models utilize a factory spec TR6060, I doubt high RPM shifting is a problem. They've been used in Grand Am for years with good success.

I'm sure it came down to cost, but the Tremec is a much stronger ($$) and proven transmission.

jmatero

Established Member
Being that the 302S and up models utilize a factory spec TR6060, I doubt high RPM shifting is a problem. They've been used in Grand Am for years with good success.

I'm sure it came down to cost, but the Tremec is a much stronger ($$) and proven transmission.

Ford can spec unique gear ratios to match the MT82.

The gear ratios on the Chevrolet Camaro SS, Cadillac CTS-V and Pontiac G8 GXP:
1st: 3.01
2nd: 2.07
3rd: 1.43
4th: 1.00
5th: 0.84
6th: 0.57

The gear ratios on the Ford Mustang Shelby GT500:
1st: 2.97
2nd: 1.78
3rd: 1.30
5th: 0.80
6th: 0.63

The gear ratios on the Dodge Challenger are:
1st: 2.97
2nd: 2.10
3rd: 1.46
5th: 0.74
6th: 0.50

Last edited:

khell

Established Member
That's a great question. If you rule out everything but the transmission, there are a number of possibilities. One thing that we know is that in most of the cases where the transmission has been rebuilt:

1. Pilot bearings were trashed
2. Synchronizers were trashed
3. Gear teeth were missing
4. Shift forks were bent

Now... we can only assume 2-4 were also the case in cars with replacement transmissions.

Now... add to that... NOBODY has posted yet that a transmission rebuild or replacement was a permanent fix... the issues returned.

One possibility that has been discussed is that there may be a motor/transmission alignment issue. This would explain why both the factory in China (if it's on the transmission side) AND Flat Rock (on the motor side) haven't identified any issues. BUT bolt the motor and transmission together... and drive a few thousand miles... BAM. Misalignment would also explain the trashed pilot bearings and bent shift forks... etc.

This would ALSO explain why some of these are train wrecks and others are flawless.

Again, this is all guess-work and we'll have to wait and see what the NHTSA and Ford come up with.

I had issues with notchiness with 2nd/3rd and a 5th gear grind that popped up out of no where at 3000 miles. I took the car in to the dealer and the tranny was rebuilt completely and I havent had any problems arise since then.
I also think that one of the main issues are ppl just dont know how to shift this thing correctly. God it took me a bit to get this down to where i wasnt having any notchiness and not missing 3rd WOT. But after all the practice i will also agree with WBT this is probably the best Manual Transmission I've ever driven. It's my DD and im currently over 7k miles.

jmatero

Established Member
I had issues with notchiness with 2nd/3rd and a 5th gear grind that popped up out of no where at 3000 miles. I took the car in to the dealer and the tranny was rebuilt completely and I havent had any problems arise since then.
I also think that one of the main issues are ppl just dont know how to shift this thing correctly. God it took me a bit to get this down to where i wasnt having any notchiness and not missing 3rd WOT. But after all the practice i will also agree with WBT this is probably the best Manual Transmission I've ever driven. It's my DD and im currently over 7k miles.

I'm glad yours is ok! But suggesting the main issue is caused by folks not knowing how to shift correctly doesn't fly. Folks can shift every other transmission on the road correctly but just not the MT82? The main reason I say this is because very VERY few people report their cars had shifting issues when they were new. Then, suddenly they appear. So they shifted right for a few thousand miles and their shifting habits all changed? Mine was BLISS for 1400 miles and I've been driving stick for years. Yours was fine until 3000 miles and then yours grenaded. That what most others are seeing as well.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
I'm glad yours is ok! But suggesting the main issue is caused by folks not knowing how to shift correctly doesn't fly. Folks can shift every other transmission on the road correctly but just not the MT82? The main reason I say this is because very VERY few people report their cars had shifting issues when they were new. Then, suddenly they appear. So they shifted right for a few thousand miles and their shifting habits all changed? Mine was BLISS for 1400 miles and I've been driving stick for years. Yours was fine until 3000 miles and then yours grenaded. That what most others are seeing as well.

seems like every car u ever owned u had an issue with shifting. def not you:kaboom:

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
jmatero

join:2000-06-14
White Plains, NY reply to LukDukDoy

Re: Telocity Responds!
Look... I simply don't trust them an ounce. I signed up on april 10th 2000 after the sales dept there told me "we'll have you up in less than a week... we just flip a switch since you already have verizon dsl". LIE... over the next SIX MONTHS I called 34 times and EACH TIME I was told I'd get a call back and NOTHING. Now, I've gone through the same nonsense with technical support... NOTHING... I even cancelled the service tuesday night after a woman in billing said this "slowdown won't be fixed any time soon". Now I'm still stranded because I can't get through to billing to get the line released... yesterday I was on hold from 10am to almost 5pm!!!!! When the person DID finally pick up, they said they'd call me back and LIE... nothing. I really don't know how anyone could continue giving this company their hard-earned money, I really don't. I defy any of you to call the 1-888-773-3349 number and try to get through to technical support or billing and be on hold for less than 2 hours.

do u bleed once a month?

jmatero

Established Member
jmatero

join:2000-06-14
White Plains, NY reply to LukDukDoy

Re: Telocity Responds!
Look... I simply don't trust them an ounce. I signed up on april 10th 2000 after the sales dept there told me "we'll have you up in less than a week... we just flip a switch since you already have verizon dsl". LIE... over the next SIX MONTHS I called 34 times and EACH TIME I was told I'd get a call back and NOTHING. Now, I've gone through the same nonsense with technical support... NOTHING... I even cancelled the service tuesday night after a woman in billing said this "slowdown won't be fixed any time soon". Now I'm still stranded because I can't get through to billing to get the line released... yesterday I was on hold from 10am to almost 5pm!!!!! When the person DID finally pick up, they said they'd call me back and LIE... nothing. I really don't know how anyone could continue giving this company their hard-earned money, I really don't. I defy any of you to call the 1-888-773-3349 number and try to get through to technical support or billing and be on hold for less than 2 hours.
do u bleed once a month?

My internet went out 12 years ago.

0-47

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
keep in mind, the NHTSA also investigated toyota's 'sticking throttle' and found that the drivers were the ones at fault:smmon:

disagree about strength, we haven't found the breaking point of the MT82 yet. about the torque rating, that rating(3XXlb-ft) is @ 10,000lbs GVWR. obviously the 3,650lbs of the mustang is only a fraction of that.
given the(apparent) strength to weight/size of the MT82, i would MUCH rather see it get refined rather than replaced. besides, the TR6060 design has been around for 2 decades(as of next year) and the only thing proven about it is that once they fix one issue another one pops up. just ask some of the GT500 and 5th gen camaro guys.

Last edited:

jmatero

Established Member
To get a better "picture" of the IQ level of "shadowstang03gt"....

Ace_120.jpg

Take a look at his list one-liners at the link above the picture of him and his cat. :cuss:

WARNING: Not for the faint of heart

Ford Mustang Forums - Shadowstang's rants

crazy-guy-tinfoil-hat.jpg

Last edited:

jmatero

Established Member
GM has decided to take advantage of the situation by starting a new website on Manual Transmission Durability Testing and they posted a video today on YouTube.

Bulletproofing GM Manual Transmission Durability

VIDEO: [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VamIYuZ2Cq0"]Woodward Avenue Manual Transmission Test Schedule - YouTube[/nomedia]

They didn't waste any time trying to attract Mustang shoppers passing due to the MT82 debacle.

:poke:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread