NHRA Rule on Battery Relocation

DHG4410

Established Member
Recently purchased a Battery Relocation kit (excluding shutoff switch). My car is a 99 Cobra with the following:
410 gears
JBA shorties
March Pullies
JLT Intake
Catted X-pipe
JBA Exhaust
UPR K-member
Full Tilt Boogie Racing bushing kit
Weld wheels with Mickey Thompson drag radials
The regular bolt-ons
Do I need the Battery shutoff switch on the outside of the car? I have received different opinions this question.
Thanks for the help

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
8:4 MASTER CUTOFF
Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The off position must be clearly indicated with the word “OFF.” If switch is “push/pull” type, “push” must be the action for shutting off the
electrical system, “pull” to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear-engine dragsters.

It's not required on a car unless you're quicker than a 9.99 or faster than 135mph. If you chose to run one, you must abide by the rules above.

shurur

Established Member
I would like to see you post up your battery relocate.
I know there are a few out there...
but I'd still like to see it.

Also, if you are going to the trouble of putting the race config in, you might as well put in the switch as well.

Last edited:

racecougar

MN12 parts guy
Established Member
Yes, in order to pass tech you'll need a kill switch and either a rear firewall or a sealed box.

NHRA Rules

8.1 BATTERIES

All batteries must be securely mounted and may not be relocated into the driver or passenger compartments. Rear firewall of .024-inch (.6 mm) steel or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum (including package tray) required when battery is re-located in trunk. In lieu of rear firewall, battery may be located in a sealed .024-inch (.6 mm) or .032-inch (.8 mm) aluminum, or FIA accepted poly box. If sealed box is used in lieu of rear firewall, box may not be used to secure battery, and must be vented outside of body. Strapping tape prohibited. A maximum of two automobile batteries, or 150 pounds (68 kg) combined maximum weight (unless otherwise specified in Class Requirements) is permitted. Metal battery hold-down straps mandatory. Hold-down bolts must be minimum 3/8-inch (9.53 mm) if battery is relocated from stock and other than stock hold-downs are used ("J" hooks prohibited or must have open end welded shut.).

8.4 MASTER CUTOFF

Mandatory when battery is relocated, or as outlined in Class Requirements. An electrical power cutoff switch (one only) must be installed on the rearmost part of each vehicle and be easily accessible from outside the car body. This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition. The external control switch for this cutoff switch will be clearly indicated by a red flash inside a white-edged blue triangle with a base of at least 12 cm (see drawing 25). The positions must be clearly indicated with the word "OFF". If switch is "push/pull" type, push must be the action for shutting off the electrical system, pull to turn it on. Any rods or cables used to activate the switch must be minimum 1/8-inch (3.2 mm) diameter. Plastic or keyed switches prohibited. Switches and/or controls must be located behind rear wheels on rear engine dragsters.

Here are pics of the setup in my XR7.

When running on the street (kill switch is on the right, next to the methanol tank):
P1110057.jpg

When I go to the track, I swap the passenger taillight out for one with a hole through it, and install the pusher assembly on the switch.
killswitchpusher.jpg

The car also has a NHRA-legal aluminum rear firewall and package shelf (since I'm not running a sealed battery box), and the subs are removed for runs at the track as well. I used 2/0 fine-strand welding cable for the positive lead to the starter and for the main ground.

P1090165.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread