NHRA Roll Bar/Cage Requirement

15PSI

Established Member
There are quite a bit different opinions as to how to read the recent NHRA requirements for roll cages or roll bars. There is some language that indicates any 2008 or newer car that is 'unaltered' does not require cages or bars down to 9.99. There is also language that indicates roll bars/cages are required below 11.49. My car is capable of running 10s. It is a daily driven 2012 Mustang with a blower and makes about 650 RWHP. I don't intend to race it any class, just test and tunes. My local track is an NHRA track. The car body is 'unaltered', but I assume they modified this language/requirement for newer stock cars like Corvette Z06, Hellcats, Shelby GT500s etc. that can run into the 10s with DRs etc.

So if you are an NHRA official, or know the rules inside and out, will I be asked to not make another run after I clock a 10 second time slip? If a bar or cage is required for my car, I will simply run hard to 3/4 track on every run but my last one LOL.

Will someone please clarify this confusion?

avgt500

Established Member
This is a little late but I can clarify some of this for you, First when they say "unaltered" they mean showroom stock, right down to the tires, so if you put dr's on it is no longer stock, so back to the 11.49 rule, my car is also capable of 10's but I also don't have a roll bar and race in MNCA true street, I just run in the 12 sec class.
Also with a aftermarket blower you need a fire jacket.

Last edited:

TTUhouston

Mechanical Engineer
Established Member
Can anyone confirm that for test and tune's at an NHRA track they will require a fire jacket if you have an aftermarket supercharger? I recently just installed one and am itching for a track time...

15PSI

Established Member
I was just warned last weekend at an NHRA sanctioned track that if I recorded an ET below 11.5, that I would need a jacket and a roll bar. Cars that are OEM capable of ETs below that are exempt (except the Demon apparently). My car has an aftermarket S/C and can run high 10s. I only care about the MPH so I take my time getting down the track LOL.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Since a 2012 mustang gt did not come stock with a blower, you would need a cage at 11.49.

The rule is pretty clear - 2008 and newer cars don't need a cage at t&t events down to 10.0, provided they are showroom stock.

OX1

Established Member
Do all these guys running 10's have a cage, or are there a lot of non NHRA sanctioned tracks around the country?

Users who are viewing this thread