NGK plugs...what do you think?

sbc.cobra

HUWHAT!!!
Established Member
guys/gals that have NGK plugs....what do you think about them? impressed or not? the reason i asked is b/c i just ordered some (they'll be here today) and i was wondering if anyone can tell a difference. thanks.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
they worked great in my Lightning....I think getting the stock ones out is a good idea....I read somewhere long ago that platinum plugs don't perform as well in a forced induction motor.

I put TR-6's in my Cobra last weekend but unfortunately I haven't been able to test them yet because I blew my ankle out a week ago. I may not get to drive my beast until Spring! :gt:

Snoker

Established Member
I replaced my stock plugs with NGK TR6's (4177) earlier this week. 3400 miles on car.

I have not noticed any significant differences, but cold start is better, seems to idle a little smoother and I picked up about 50 to 75 rpm at an idle.

So far happy with results, but differences, if any, are very small.

Put anti-seize on plugs, gapped at .040, torqued to 20lbs and dielectric grease on each of the boots.

I have no idea if performance was enhanced. Old plugs looked pretty good, clean and the correct color.

Just my observations to date.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
You're only going to notice a difference if your standing behind your car at 5500rpm (dyno) or see it on the graph as a breakup and rough curve. I added the NGK but still have SOME misfire. They are gapped at .040, anyone tried less? Denso Iridium's are supposedly better..

Fast03Cobra

Established Member
Gapped at .35.

Smooother engine

Picked up RPMs at idle.

no noticeable hick-ups at high rpms

Starts WORSE for me

Runs noticeably better!

robb

NGK has a TR 55 IX available now and will introduce a TR 6 IX in mid Nov. BTW the TR 55 IX is the recommended plug for the '03 Cobra (iridium and 1/2 a heat range hotter than TR 6-i.e. 1/2 a heat range colder than the TR 5---about $70/set). Hope this helps.:)

Users who are viewing this thread