Next Mod.....

Blackgeetee

Established Member
High flow heads and intake will really wake it up. CAI and headers will give you a little power, but not too much.

Since you have the good old pushrod 5oh, the heads and intake work would be fairly simple.

Good luck man!:burnout:

Blown306

Established Member
I agree with Blackgeetee, concentrate on the intake and heads. Do the headers later and address the exhaust at the same time. If you're n/a, don't go overkill on the MAF and TB size, more is not always better. When you do the heads, replace the cam and install roller rockers. Then do the exhaust. After that, get a chip burned for your combo...

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
I'd start off by changing that anemic 2:73 gear. The fact that your car has run as well as it has with that gear is very positive.

I'd try a 3:55 gear and a 2800 stall converter, to use what you have more efficiently. Then you'll be able to tell how much more you want. With a 2:73 the car is really hard pressed to get moving no matter how much power you have.

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
I'd start off by changing that anemic 2:73 gear. The fact that your car has run as well as it has with that gear is very positive.

I'd try a 3:55 gear and a 2800 stall converter, to use what you have more efficiently. Then you'll be able to tell how much more you want. With a 2:73 the car is really hard pressed to get moving no matter how much power you have.

Thanks, that is probley gonna be my setup.

TcM-668

Heads/Intake/Cam

I agree with the suggestion of going with the heads, intake and cam. If need be, save your money til you can pull the trigger all at once. The Holley SystemMax 2 is a nice set, and it has everythign you need to really open your car up....

I dropped a set of Port/Polish/Ceramic Coat Stage3 TFS TW heads, TFS Street Intake, Crower 212HR212 Cam and my little GT pulls almost as hard as my 00 R .

I have 3.55 gears, FRPP Ceramic headers, Bassani X /cats, flowmaster 2 chambers. I plan on updating the T-5 to a Tremec 3550/Centerforce D/F clutch.

I suspect that I am in the 350 HP range at the flywheel. hope to get to the 375+ range with a dyno tuned chip and MSD Digital 6+.

I did go with a 75mm MAF, and TB and I think the TB is a hair too big. It bogs a little bit if you hit the GO pedal, but if you stay N/A, go with a 65 or 70 mm TB and go with the 75mm MAF. If you go with the C&L MAF then you can change flow tubes as your injector needs change.

I plan on adding a blower later, so I don't mind the throttle lag right now.

If you check out the latest 5.0 , they talk about the best bang for the buck updates for your car. With an automatic, the universal suggestion is 3.73 gears.

I took my CAI (kind of a misnomer, should be Warm Air Intake) and am having it ceramic coated so that it will pass air smoothly, and insulate it from the engine bay. Hot engine bay, makes for hotter air intake. You could try wrapping it in firewrap or fiberglass pipe wrap. That might help, or look at fab'ing the parts yourself out of PVC. While not pretty, it should be better than the CAI metal tubing.

Good luck on your ride...

Last edited:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
If you want a QUALITY CAI, then Densecharger is the best. I switched from my BB&K chrome unit to the Densecharger plastic unit and couldn't be happier. Not only does it soak less heat, it has a much larger airfilter, seals the filter in the fender away from engine heat, flows much better due to better construction ( no internal obstructions).
The HP numbers vs a metal unit are good. Metal units look good and do help, untill the car gets hot. When that happens the metal air inlet tubing is hot as well. Now the car is sucking in really hot air. Once you've been driving around a bit is when the Densecharger really shines. It is still getting cooler air, and you can tell. With my BB&K after I had been driving a few minutes, I could tell it wasn't working as well as when I had firsted started out.

Here is a link so you can find some info about your application.
Densecharger

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
If you want a QUALITY CAI, then Densecharger is the best. I switched from my BB&K chrome unit to the Densecharger plastic unit and couldn't be happier. Not only does it soak less heat, it has a much larger airfilter, seals the filter in the fender away from engine heat, flows much better due to better construction ( no internal obstructions).
The HP numbers vs a metal unit are good. Metal units look good and do help, untill the car gets hot. When that happens the metal air inlet tubing is hot as well. Now the car is sucking in really hot air. Once you've been driving around a bit is when the Densecharger really shines. It is still getting cooler air, and you can tell. With my BB&K after I had been driving a few minutes, I could tell it wasn't working as well as when I had firsted started out.

Here is a link so you can find some info about your application.
Densecharger

I like the Moroso CIA Kits for the 87-93 mustangs. They look well made and they are cheap. After my CIA, gears are next :D

Thanks,
Randy

Performer5Oh

Established Member
Re: Heads/Intake/Cam

Originally posted by TcM-668
I agree with the suggestion of going with the heads, intake and cam. If need be, save your money til you can pull the trigger all at once. The Holley SystemMax 2 is a nice set, and it has everythign you need to really open your car up....

I dropped a set of Port/Polish/Ceramic Coat Stage3 TFS TW heads, TFS Street Intake, Crower 212HR212 Cam and my little GT pulls almost as hard as my 00 R .

I have 3.55 gears, FRPP Ceramic headers, Bassani X /cats, flowmaster 2 chambers. I plan on updating the T-5 to a Tremec 3550/Centerforce D/F clutch.

I suspect that I am in the 350 HP range at the flywheel. hope to get to the 375+ range with a dyno tuned chip and MSD Digital 6+.

I did go with a 75mm MAF, and TB and I think the TB is a hair too big. It bogs a little bit if you hit the GO pedal, but if you stay N/A, go with a 65 or 70 mm TB and go with the 75mm MAF. If you go with the C&L MAF then you can change flow tubes as your injector needs change.

I plan on adding a blower later, so I don't mind the throttle lag right now.

If you check out the latest 5.0 , they talk about the best bang for the buck updates for your car. With an automatic, the universal suggestion is 3.73 gears.

I took my CAI (kind of a misnomer, should be Warm Air Intake) and am having it ceramic coated so that it will pass air smoothly, and insulate it from the engine bay. Hot engine bay, makes for hotter air intake. You could try wrapping it in firewrap or fiberglass pipe wrap. That might help, or look at fab'ing the parts yourself out of PVC. While not pretty, it should be better than the CAI metal tubing.

Good luck on your ride...

Thanks alot man. It sounds like you have some nice cars :-D

Randy

chrisilversvt

Established Member
rear end gear(3.73) was the best mod i ever did to my 93 lx..probably the best bang for the buck mod out there..doesn't add any horsepower,but man will it really wake your stang up..you'll have to learn to drive your car all over again...

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I say 3.73s and some shorty's, but what do I know, I have 3 broke cars :-D

Users who are viewing this thread