~ Next Mod (HE, Headers, Tires)

What Mod to get next?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grabber blue gt

Established Member
Personally I would do the HE now that the summer heat is rolling in. I had a roush blower on my 2010 and in the summer it got heatsoaked very easily when driving around town in mild traffic and stop lights. I did have a smaller pulley which added heat also, but the afco was the next mod I was doing but ended up trading the car

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
is an AFCO HE WITHOUT fans worth $250?
found a used one.....

its smaller in size than my ROUSH HE but is a dual pass.

This would allow me to do both the HE & Kooks Shorties. :banana:

grnenvy

Established Member
I understand saving a couple bucks but I would put fans on it.
I really like my new VMP HE if I was u I would save for that. When it comes to keeping inlet temps down I'm all for it.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
dont mean to hijack your thread but I have a question on the HE. How much more benefit is there over the stock one? With temps here in NJ the last few days I get concerned about the high temps.

When I asked my vendor specifically
"....Should I be concerned with the temps? I had/have been watching the the AFR reading along with the cylinder head and air inlet temps. cyl was about 201 - 210 consistent..."
The response I got was "No heat is fine"

What should the temps be? How high is too high before the temps start robbing horsepower?

BSG Boss

Established Member
If you are getting headers just do long tubes!!! Beat investment so far, I ran 12.17@120 last sep on old nt555r's last sep!!! The car still doesn't have a CAI and made 438rwhp and 391 rwtq!!!

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
is an AFCO HE WITHOUT fans worth $250?
found a used one.....

its smaller in size than my ROUSH HE but is a dual pass.

This would allow me to do both the HE & Kooks Shorties. :banana:

I'm putting an Afco on my car tonight without fans. They are only needed for stop & go traffic, otherwise they aren't needed when you're moving.

Alejandro5.0

Established Member
Tires!
And can u please post pics of your car? I wana see it lowered on the tokico setup I'm about to lower mine as well but don't know which route to take

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
Tires!
And can u please post pics of your car? I wana see it lowered on the tokico setup I'm about to lower mine as well but don't know which route to take

Not a problem. I love my suspension setup but then I got it at 70% off (new from Tokico during a 2 day sale) just happend to be the weekend I was gonna purchase my springs/struts. Right place right time I guess!?

If I didn't get the deal I would have gone with the Steeda Ultrlites and Koni Str.t setup.

Here are pics:
CLICK ON PICS FOR LARGER!
th_DSCN0306.jpg
th_DSCN0304.jpg
th_DSCN0295_edited-1.jpg
th_DSCN0192_edited-1.jpg
th_DSCN0194_edited-1.jpg

dabster

Established Member
Why did you guys chose the headers over the other two? Just curious....cost?

Im gonna eventually NEED tires...I won't specifically ever need the other two. :shrug:

It would be great to have the HE though for cooling while on the road course track and would make my current mods more efficient.

However the Headers GAIN horse power, the other two do not but make better use of the power I have.

See the delima.

If you're not having any heating issues that bad anyway, I would say tires first for the track days, then the headers for more power. No point at more power if you're already having trouble putting it down as well as (possible) heating issues. Just my 02.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Really? Exactly why is this the case?

Its funny.... I have asked this in other threads and have yet to get a solid answer.

JDM Did testing on the Kooks shorties and they showed power gains right in line with Long tubes..... yet they are $600 not over 1K in cost.

Again.... please explain your statement.

Yeah, shorties are just as good as Lt's which is why they continue to make LT headers. There's zero logic in what you said.

Right here from the this forum:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/906587-shorty-headers-vs-longtube.html

I think BBR knows a thing or two. Even Beefcake stated the factory ones flow well. Aren't shorties just a direct replacement?

A whopping 6 hp and 9 tq.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/810310-installed-dynod-bbk-shorties.html

If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing the stock manifold you might as well put LT's in.

Last edited:

Nomak

Established Member
Yeah, shorties are just as good as Lt's which is why they continue to make LT headers. There's zero logic in what you said.

Right here from the this forum:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/906587-shorty-headers-vs-longtube.html

I think BBR knows a thing or two. Even Beefcake stated the factory ones flow well. Aren't shorties just a direct replacement?

A whopping 6 hp and 9 tq.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-2014-mustangs-354/810310-installed-dynod-bbk-shorties.html

If you're going to go through the trouble of replacing the stock manifold you might as well put LT's in.

We are not talking about BBK headers....

The Numbers are in!!! Kooks Super Street Headers Tested!!

Other people have figured this out. You need to read things more carefully.

Nomak said:
JDM Did testing on the Kooks shorties and they showed power gains right in line with Long tubes.....

Bad_302 said:
<TABLE style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR title="Post 13131814" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1>Please do your research.

grnenvy said:
Where the hell do u get your info from. I don't waste my time on bad parts. U better read up. lol

The point is this..... The kooks shorties with an off road X/H showed similar power gains to LT's. They do this at a lower cost and give the buyer the option to reinstall the factory mid pipe at any time.

I am not claiming that they are better..... However I am saying that totally dismissing them just because they are shorties is silly.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=thead colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
It doesn't really matter what brand it is. The headers in question are shorties right? Then it doesn't matter. Do please work on your grasp of common sense. I also showed where shorties would only gain you about 10 hp and tq just like the Kook's in the link you provided. You actually backed up my views without realizing it. A shortie is a shortie is a shortie. If you want to point out primary size difference between the two brands it'll actually work against you. The BBK had a smaller primary but still put out the same power.

The description in the link also points out there's difference between them and Lt's performance-wise. Yet another thing you overlooked. They specifically allude to the fact it's not going to out the same power, but it's more for people wanting to stay legal. If they were "in line" with Lt's they would've said so instead of focusing on the emission aspect. You're forgetting there's a reason 2 different types of headers are on the market. If there was no difference then the market for LT headers would dry up.

Logic is your friend.

Last edited:

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
You two need to take this LT vs Shorty conversation somewhere else.....

In fact the headers in question are NOT just Shorties in general...but I specifically stated KOOKS Shorty headers. as well as stating..."Out of these three choices" to which LT's were not a choice.

Thanks to all for your input on the three choices above.
I have decided on doing the KOOKS shorty headers and a used NON-fanned HE.
I do believe I can add the fans later on.

It is easier to justify to the wife spending the money for tires when I really need them, and not having to use my allowance money! LOL

sleek98

Established Member
You can always add a fan to it if you need to later on. The fans will only help when you are not moving so it would depend on how much stop and go you do.

Nocturnal'14

'18 ROUSH RS2 #18-0103
Established Member
well after this weekend on the dyno I think my plans have changed a little.
I have the AFCO unit on the way, but am now gonna take the plunge and get a VMP Tune....might as well go with a 82mm Pulley while Im at it right!? ;)

My final numbers were 541hp/453tq...which isnt too bad but for some reason teh A/F on teh graph showed extremely rich! However on my Aeroforce gauge it is reading 11.25!?

CLICK FO RLARGER:
th_Jun2013DynoPhase2TVSCalibrated.jpg

SO Im gonna get the VMP Tune to dial it in correct...might as well add the 82mm pulley then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread