Next big project maybe - Intellegent Access w/ push button start?

qurtrn10

Established Member
I was looking at this from the Taurus SHO:

trs11_feat_tech_pushstart.gif

"Starting your Taurus is a breeze with the Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start feature. First, make sure the key fob is in your pocket or somewhere in the car (including the trunk). Next, press the brake pedal and then the start button. Just shift into gear and go. Intelligent Access with Push-Button Start is available in Taurus SEL and Limited; standard in Taurus SHO."

Being so new, I wonder if I can get a wiring diagram of the control modules. If I could get it broken down to what each wire needs, I wonder if I could make it work for the Lightning. It would be neat not needing to use a key anymore. I thought I would keep the stock key attached to the truck inside the dash (for PATS), and carry the keyfob without a key on it, but in case the battery in the truck were to ever die, I'd want the key to manually unlock the doors, so I;d still carry a key with fob on me.

Thoughts?

Dusten

Established Member
Im guessing its more than just wiring. That a lot of the controls are deeply embedded in the ecm/pcm.

qurtrn10

Established Member
That's one of the things I'm curious about. It's standard on the SHO but an option for the SEL and Limited. I guess it's possible, but I wouldn't think they'd have to put in a whole different ECU for that option.

I'm still on my EATC swap, so I don't have the time to look into it right now, but I'm wondering how complicated that install would be. If it did require special stuff from the ECU, I wonder if you could purchase a second ECU, and only hook up the options needed for the starting system. It'll probably be obvious, but I don't know much about ECUs, but it might be fun to learn.

:)

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
My Mazda 3 has that. Pretty cool feature. There is something you are leaving out. There is a button on the outside door handle that you press to unlock/lock the vehicle. Its really conveniant feature. I put my keys in my pocket and never touch them to get into the car, start the car, or when I get out and lock the car.

qurtrn10

Established Member
My Mazda 3 has that. Pretty cool feature. There is something you are leaving out. There is a button on the outside door handle that you press to unlock/lock the vehicle. Its really conveniant feature. I put my keys in my pocket and never touch them to get into the car, start the car, or when I get out and lock the car.

Since I have the numeric keypad, I wouldn't need a button, but if whatever system I try has that feature already as part of it, I could get some buttons from the dealer and make them work with our handle assembly. It would be the last item I would probably do from the whole assembly, but interesting to think of.

Hmmm...

fuelonempty

حمدالله على نعمة العقل...
Established Member
yeah I understand that what youve been doing to your truck is what most would call "impossible" but possible, just a headache.. in this case im gonna go with just impossible lol.

your best bet would probably trying to piece one together from aftermarket? Dont some of the new security systems have these things as an option?

Users who are viewing this thread