Next best dog to a lab? low-shedding

yellow98stang

Established Member
I'll make this quick...

I grew up with black labs, love them to death, but my wife doesn't think she can deal with the shedding. My wife grew up with a standard poodle, now her parents have a toy poodle...

I don't want a poodle, a "labradoodles" would solve the problem, but you never know what the dogs will end up like because it's not a true breed, and I don't like the way they look.

Need ideas for a large low-shedding dog that has a similar personality to a lab, but doesn't shed.

thanks,
Dan

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
My father used to breed national field trails champion german shorthairs

They dont shed much

Very good dogs, they are fast and fun to play with, they love to play and be outside and run,

he has since quit breeding and we only have my lab Molly i got her in highschool she is like 12 years old now,

and rogue his last short hair she is an amazing friends family dog, guard dog ect,

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Shorthaired_Pointer"]German Shorthaired Pointer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

straightliner1

Established Member
Schnauzers do not shed. Keep in mind though, dogs that don't shed need to be groomed and at $30 a pop, it's can be a PITA...

I introduce to you - Peanut:

peanuthaircut.jpg

swoosh_stang

I'm not evil, Trust Me
Established Member
Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't buy into the pictures they show there, we keep ours trimmed fairly short and she is a very attractive dog. Athletically built.

They are very loving sweet dogs, mid size, smaller than a lab but definitely big enough to have fun with.

If you look to non-shedding breeds, most of them are curly haired like the poodles or long haired like the shaggy dog.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
All animals shed...my black lab really isn't that bad overall.

No way in heck I'd give in to a poodle or labradoodle though...

Weimaraners don't shed bad because they have a really short coat; but they don't have as big of a "lazy" side that labs can have. They're definitely happiest outside doing something and don't necessarily adapt too well without firm training and extended exercise. My cousin has one, GREAT dog, but she really was a handful at times for the first year.

I'm not sure a short haired Golden would be that much better than a black/chocolate lab though; shedding-wise.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
A Bull Terrier will answer your prayers.

Agile, loving, protective, great with kids, great with other pets, like to cuddle, love to play, sheds little to none, unique, etc.

Evenflow

Established Member
ehh do labs really shed THAT badly?

Hopefully getting a black one soon but dont want hair eveyrwhere

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
Schnauzers are badass, weve had 3 of em all registered etc...
very good dogs and they don't leave shit everywhere.

yellow98stang

Established Member
ehh do labs really shed THAT badly?

Hopefully getting a black one soon but dont want hair eveyrwhere

they can shed really badly, but i think it just depends. my parents lab has always shed terribly, but i dont remember the two before her shedding nearly as bad.

short-hair golden shed less than a lab? edit, I cant even find any real info on a "short-haired golden retriever"...

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Schnauzers are badass, weve had 3 of em all registered etc...
very good dogs and they don't leave shit everywhere.

+65,000:rockon:

I've had two, best dogs I've ever been around. I would have gotten another but I wanted a big dog, so I got a Great Dane. 4 1/2 months old >50lbs:eek:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
+65,000:rockon:

I've had two, best dogs I've ever been around. I would have gotten another but I wanted a big dog, so I got a Great Dane. 4 1/2 months old >50lbs:eek:

oldest was 10 yrs old! had him forever, they are great for alerting at night...:beer:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
oldest was 10 yrs old! had him forever, they are great for alerting at night...:beer:

The schnauzer or danes?

My dog Sadie(schnauzer) is going on 16 years but is on the downhill:whine:

Mine (ellie the dane) has the poops right now, so yeah she is great at alerting me when she has to poop in the middle of the night:fart:

roadracer247

Established Member
Don't overlook Rhodesian Ridgeback's! I had one before my last lab and I miss him a lot! Awesome dog, very athletic, easily trainable!

Users who are viewing this thread