newb to focus

hatched91

Established Member
hey guys what's up? i just got a 03 focus svt with 40k miles. it's got a few problems and i'd like some input from some fellow svt guys with some experience turning wrenches. problems:
loud whistling during acceleration(sounds like supercharger)
clicking sound everytime i take off and push in the clutch
perhaps looseness in the front end.
won't go into 4th gear, something seller mentioned about the linkage being an issue

are there any COMMON issues with these cars that might be the diagnosis for any of these problems?

hatched91

Established Member
thanks for the info. the clutch and flywheel have both been replaced as well as the starter. i'll check out those links for some more info

hatched91

Established Member
here's the engine codes:
o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1
o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 2
idle air control valve(i think) i'll get the actual code
cylinder 1 misfire.

anyone had any problems with cylinder 1 misfire?

Hotrod Tommy

SVT Poster
Established Member
I had a car that whistled under acceleration. It was a hole somewhere in the exhaust near the muffler. After a catback replacement the whistle was gone. Just gotta find out where yours is.

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
I'm fairly sure the more common cause of the whistling sound is the MAF. It was pretty loud on my car when I had a cold-air intake on it, and I can still hear it a bit with the silencer removed from the stock airbox.

CT SVT

Established Member
coil pack is know to go bad alot cause of its mounting next to a hot engine.
you can get a MSD coil pack and set of 8.5mm wires for $120 from CFM.
had sure the spark plugs are gap no higher then .058 stock coil pack will not handle any higher. SVTF are own for its failing o2 sensors all the time. i'm on my 3rd set in 2 years and if you put aftermarket o2 sensors try fail faster. the SVTF isn't a bad car it just has its normal problems just like anyother car.

hatched91

Established Member
thanks for the info guys. everyone thinks i have an extremely loud supercharger. thus this is most likely not an exhaust leak or airbox, it sounds like it's coming from one of the accessories. i'll have to take a closer look this weekend. i'll probably end up replacing the o2 sensors. just trying to have a reliable dd, not worried about msd stuff. some of the wires look charred that go to the o2 sensors, i'm going to try to replaces those first. i'll keep you posted.

CaysE

SVT Focus Guru
Established Member
Sounds like a supercharger? Like a whining noise? Might want to have a look at your idler and tensioner pulleys, as the bearings are known to go bad. That would put excess strain on the timing belt which can evnetually fail, and the SVT is an interference motor (snapped timing belt = very bad).

Sorry for the scare there, but better to be safe than sorry.

hatched91

Established Member
just the answer i was looking for! i'm a newb to the focus, not to turning wrenches. with every single car made, there are certian parts known to go bad(i.e. idler pulleys, transmission linkage, o2 sensors, etc.). i just need to know those parts to give me a good start.

i'm thinking the clicking is possibly cv axles or maybe even motor/transmission mounts. it is very difficult to pinpoint when it happens. it seems to happen the least whenever it is not under power. oh, and the clutch has been replaced. i'm not sure about the flywheel.

hopefully i'll have time tomorrow to really get to work on this thing

Users who are viewing this thread