New wheels on the GT500

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Forgestar F14s

IMG_3988.JPG

Thanks to Steve@TF for helping make it happen!

Last edited:

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Very nice, how about some specs on dem new kicks...I’m trying to lock down what size tires to run on mine.

IMG_4008.JPG

marsh2o

Established Member
I too have been thinking about the F14s. With the CoreTex offset front coilovers, I'd like to run Michelin Sport Cup 2s (F: 305/30/20, R: 315/30/20) with 20x11 wheels all around (although, if it was available, I'd prefer an 11.5" width in the rear). Thinking +55 offset front, +62 offset rear for the 11" width. Anyone have experience with F14s and tires in this size range?

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
I too have been thinking about the F14s. With the CoreTex offset front coilovers, I'd like to run Michelin Sport Cup 2s (F: 305/30/20, R: 315/30/20) with 20x11 wheels all around (although, if it was available, I'd prefer an 11.5" width in the rear). Thinking +55 offset front, +62 offset rear for the 11" width. Anyone have experience with F14s and tires in this size range?

are you planning to track it? i wouldnt think 20s would be your first choice but up to you.

11.5s will fit. i think that offset is a little high. i would recommend 57-58mm for an 11.5. that's what im planning to run on mine eventually,. ive put that on cars before. 62mm will put it in quite a bit. it would probably work but its pushing it imo. the fronts should work with the cortex coil overs and running negative camber as well i believe. not sure how great that set up works on the street though. also, for a GT500, for the track, its better to have a square set up due to the inherent understeer. especially if you have an 07-10 with the iron block (heavier nose). i know people run square 305 set ups on 20x11s. i believe Apex racing wheels may have the sizes and offsets your looking for. go to Track Mustangs Online for more info on all of this.

marsh2o

Established Member
are you planning to track it? i wouldnt think 20s would be your first choice but up to you.

11.5s will fit. i think that offset is a little high. i would recommend 57-58mm for an 11.5. that's what im planning to run on mine eventually,. ive put that on cars before. 62mm will put it in quite a bit. it would probably work but its pushing it imo. the fronts should work with the cortex coil overs and running negative camber as well i believe. not sure how great that set up works on the street though. also, for a GT500, for the track, its better to have a square set up due to the inherent understeer. especially if you have an 07-10 with the iron block (heavier nose). i know people run square 305 set ups on 20x11s. i believe Apex racing wheels may have the sizes and offsets your looking for. go to Track Mustangs Online for more info on all of this.

The car is a 2007, but will soon get an aluminum block 5.8. It will be mostly street driven, but I do plan to do some occasional autocrossing and HPD events. I plan to stick with 20's mostly for looks, but also because it'll provide a little more clearance for larger brakes. Apex has wheels in the right width for 19" wheels (which I understand would be better for more of a track car), but they don't have 20".

I'm currently running 20x11.5 rear wheels with +64 offset and Michelin 335/30/20 tires. Both the front and rear of the car are lowered about 1.5" with the rear having KW3 shocks, adjustable spring perches, and an adjustable panhard bar. For most solo driving, there's little rubbing. However, when I drive with a passenger, there's occasional rubbing on the outer lip of the rear fenders. On the front, I have 20x10 (+41 offset) wheels with 285/30/20 Michelins and have never had any rubbing issues there.

My original expectation was that, with such a large difference between front and rear, the car would understeer like crazy, but it's actually not bad. I figure that by going to a narrower rear tire and wider front, the car should handle a little better and there'll be less rubbing in the rear.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
only issue is with running a wide front tire you could run into issues with tracking and it could make the steering a little tougher on the street. not to mention the negative camber you'd have to run. i know guys have run 295 on stock set ups. could run 295/30/20.

LMR had GT350 wheels with 11.5" rears with a good offset but it looks like they stopped carrying. short of ordering custom made wheels i dont think you're going to find much out there. i see Project 6GR has 11.5" with 56mm offset.

you could also send your current 20x10s out to be widened as well. would save you quite a bit over ordering all new wheels.

OldYeller

Established Member
Premium Member

My rears are 20x11 +56 F14's with a 315/30/20 R888R. Fits perfect on my 2011. If you lifted the car and let the rear axle fully hang then it would hit the bumpstops. I really don't think there was any way it would have hit during normal operation but I went ahead and relocated the bump stops just for good measure. Fronts are 19x10 with a 285/35 R888R. Car is lowered on eibach pro kit springs.

Attachments

• GT500 Fender.jpg
    GT500 Fender.jpg
    301.5 KB · Views: 105
  • GT500 Rear.jpg
    GT500 Rear.jpg
    295.6 KB · Views: 105

Users who are viewing this thread