New wheels going on my '98 Cobra. Gonna need new tires...

baldguy

Established Member
I bought my cobra because it was the nicest, cleanest one I could find. completely unmolested except for gears, exhaust, and a procharger. only 54k original miles and not a scratch on it! With that in mind, as I make improvements I'm trying to keep them as tasteful as possible. And of course I want to buy my new tires from Discount - I have used them exclusively for every vehicle I have owned for the last ~18 years.

The new wheels are 18x9 (front) and 18x10 (rear) black painted FR500 with machined lip. I *do not* want to roll the fenders. I *do* want to clear the new 14" wilwood rotors (and 6-piston calipers) that will be going on within the month. Currently, I am on stock springs. I may end up lowering it a bit, but not a lot. If I do, it will be with adjustable rear control arms or a coilover solution.

What options does Discount offer that will handle the ~500hp this procharged DOHC puts out? I don't intend to take this thing to the track, but I do want plenty of traction when I hit the go pedal on the street. Keeping in mind that I do not want to modify the body at all, and would really rather avoid modifying the rear suspension.

Last edited:

Discount Tire

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Thank you for reaching out to us, baldguy. We'd be happy to assist with this fitment.

What are the wheel offsets?

Assuming the offsets are within range, I recommend 245/40R-18 tires for the front axle and 285/35R-18 tires for the rear axle. A solid tire option to look into is the Nitto NT05 Max Performance. This model delivers predictable handling and is one of the better street tires that hooks up from a dig. In other words, this is a very well rounded street tire for muscle cars. If your primary focus is off the line grip, then a dedicated drag radial may be best for you. Nitto offers their NT555R Drag Radial in the 285/35R-18 size which will pair nicely with the new NT555 G2 on the front.

Circling back to the wheels, I'm not sure if the FR500s you purchased have the necessary brake clearance for your Wilwood set-up. You may want to touch base with the company you purchased them from to verify.

Last edited by a moderator:

baldguy

Established Member
Hrm, thanks for the info. Are you really concerned about the brakes fitting under those wheels? That's the main reason I bought the FR500 replicas - people say they clear most big brake kits easily. Wilwood is behind on production so the brake kit is still a month out... I suppose I could go down to the 13" ones if necessary.

baldguy

Established Member
anyone know if this combo will work together? I'm really short on any kind of time to do the research (working 14 hours a day, 6 days a week for almost 2 months now) and wheelreplicas.com customer service isn't willing to contact wilwood for me or test the fit of their wheels themselves. I'm really regretting giving them my business at this point...

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Wilwood lists rotor and caliper dimensions on their website (see example below). You can send the dimensions from your set-up to the company you purchased the wheels through and they should be able to check the barrel and spoke clearance to see if the wheels work.

ds515_wcd-lg.jpg

baldguy

Established Member
yeah I did that and Wheel Replicas wasn't interested. they wanted some very specific type of file or they wouldn't verify it for me. No clue why they wouldn't either already know or really want to know if their products are compatible with one of the most popular brake kits going... but I digress. I simply don't have the time right now so I guess I'll be shipping these wheels back on my own dime. Pretty pathetic way to treat their customers, IMO.

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I was browsing Wilwood's site and the 6 piston kits call for a minimum 18-inch wheel. Like you noted, the FR500 offers larger brake clearance so chances are you'll be alright.

baldguy

Established Member
thanks, I think I'll give it a whirl. worst case scenario I'll have to swap the wheels out once the brakes get here. Yesterday I was able to get home /just/ in time to drop them off with my local Discount Tire. The guys there have sold me countless sets of tires over the last 10 years so I'm confident in their recommendation. I ended up going with a 295/35-zr18 Nitto NT05 for the rear and a 275/35-zr18 NT555-G2 in the front. Should be able to put them on the car next week :)

Matt@DTD

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
thanks, I think I'll give it a whirl. worst case scenario I'll have to swap the wheels out once the brakes get here. Yesterday I was able to get home /just/ in time to drop them off with my local Discount Tire. The guys there have sold me countless sets of tires over the last 10 years so I'm confident in their recommendation. I ended up going with a 295/35-zr18 Nitto NT05 for the rear and a 275/35-zr18 NT555-G2 in the front. Should be able to put them on the car next week :)

Awesome to hear! Share some pictures with us when you get everything bolted up, we'd like to see the new set-up!

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
looking at that brake diagram posted above you should be ok. looks like plenty of clearance within the diameter of the 18" wheel and the good thing about wilwoods is their calipers are very low profile. per that diagram they only sit out 1.23" from the mounting surface which is less than the stock cobra calipers iirc. so you should be more than fine. wilwoods usually fit everything.
really only with 15" brakes do you really need to worry about being able to fit an 18" wheel on it (diameter wise). the height of the caliper from the mounting surface is a different ballgame. but as i said, wilwoods usually run very low profile.

baldguy

Established Member
thanks for the responses, guys. I think I will be going with True Forged for my next set of wheels. a vendor that supports their market via forums or at least good customer service deserves my money more than one like Wheel Replicas. Discount Tire has never done me wrong, either :)

I did get the wheels and tires put on today. The brakes haven't shipped from Wilwood yet but so far I'm very happy with how the combo looks. no pics yet but tomorrow I'm going to give the car a bath so she'll be all pretty and ready for her closeup

I will say that the NT05s are surprisingly easy to spin. I was expecting a lot more grip from the 295 NT05 than I got from my 275 BFG G-Force TAs. Maybe I should have gone 305 lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread