11Sec_Lx

Established Member
New wheel/tire post...

19x11 (+56) square - Forgestar CF5's

295/35 Falken RT660's (SCCA Solo legal)

Ford Racing Hubs w/ARP studs

OP Mustang hubcentric spacers (16mm)

Alignment: -2.6*/-2.7* camber, 7* caster, 0 toe

The rear fit is unreal. The wheel almost touches the dust boot of the shock. Then, on the outside, the wheel is tucked in by 1/4" from the outside wheel lip. Such a nice, finished, mature appearance.

The fronts are tucked in by 1/2" or so. Again, a very finished appearance.

So far I'm astounded by these tires. I haven't been on an SCCA Solo course with them yet, but have played around on the street and have I can't say enough about them. After 30 minutes of spirited driving on back roads and roundabouts, I tried a second gear roll on concrete. They held it, didn't spin an ounce! I am pullied down a hair from the 1101, but it's still over 1000 and they stuck like glue.
ef6899de145b910bb2a883c311e0fae9.jpg
e36e0482febb077edd81dc2565faac6c.jpg
702d8b6b54855c0514fc0b0a07b82ac2.jpg
10d9155373fb8f28d7cb5f8cfbb01de6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

68gtscode

Established Member
The new wheels and tires look great, and sound like they work really well! Interesting that you’re changing things up to be more handling oriented. Have you changed out your struts, shocks, and springs? I bought new stuff for my car but haven’t had any of it installed yet… seems I’m still indecisive:)

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Yes Sir. I added Bilstein HD shocks/struts, BMR "Handling" springs (260lb), 10" / 200lb rear springs (I have the threaded perches) and Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates.

I had already added White Line adjustable sway bars earlier this spring.

I had an alignment done with 7* caster, 0* toe, -2.6* camber.

The car drives straight, doesn't beat me up and really handles now. I can't wait to get it back out on an autocross course. I plan to go back in September.

The drives on the street are alot more fun.

Front brakes and rotors/pads all around are next. I'm debating on S197 Brembos (4 piston) or S550 Brembos (6 piston). I plan to do that this coming winter.

What did you buy?

Later...

68gtscode

Established Member
Sorry to take your thread off course, but I always appreciate the great information you provide. Your new setup sounds great, and it’s really interesting to hear your feedback on how the car drives on the street. I’ve always thought 19s look the best on our cars. Anyhow, I researched springs and strut/shock combinations last fall to take advantage Black Friday sales. I was originally going to do double adjustable Vikings, but was talked out of them by a friend who I have a lot of respect for. Since my car is only driven on the street, I wanted something a little more handling oriented. I already have lots of BMR stuff- k member and a arms, rear double adjustable CAs, watts link, and heavy duty adjustable sway bars front and rear. I wound up buying Koni sport/yellow struts/shocks and Steeda Competition springs. These springs are linear 225/185 and are not supposed to lower the front very much… I prefer a more level stance, don’t want the car dropped too low, and run a taller back tire… I was hoping these springs might work well for a handling-oriented ride that isn’t too harsh. But I’ve gone back and forth many times on the same BMR GT500 springs that you used to run, as well as the Bilstein HDs. I suppose I should just try my stuff and see how it works, but would appreciate any thoughts you have. Thanks!

Last edited:

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
John,

Car looks incredible. Any issues with the front end tracking with that big tire up front?

If your going to autocross go with the 6 pistons for sure, they should be a nice upgrade over the OEM S197 brakes. I would say to upgrade your rears to the GT500 set up but I dont think they will clear your drag set up. Ah, and since you will have the caliper off you might as well throw on some SS lines. I still have the factory rubber lines but on previous cars the SS line upgrades always made a huge difference.

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Matt - I agree with you, may as well try what you have. I bet you'll be happy. Now that I have the 19's, I agree. I always felt like the 20's were a bit too much. I don't like rubber band sidewalls, so it always caused me to run 28" tires. That should have told me they were too much. My last set were 27.6" front / 28.1" rear. The 19's are 27.2 all around. As far as a rake goes, I go back and forth. I'll tell you though, when I do have it raked, I keep it on the mellow side. Currently my perches are bottomed out.

Riddick - Thank you for compliment. No issues tracking so far. I've been on the interstate and side roads. Stainless lines are definitely on the list for either brake upgrade. Like you said, I'll leave the rears as-is, so they'll clear my 15x11 Welds. My only concern about the 6 piston S550 Brembos is how they'll cause me to compromise the appearance if I ever do back to a skinny front runner. They would require quite a spacer and then the front wheel wouldn't tuck in. With Autocross, I'm only going to need to brake hard from 50-55mph and what I'm told is, the S197 Brembos handle that well. But you know how guys like us are wired. Anything worth doing is worth over-doing.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Hmmm, didnt know the S550 brakes will require spacers. For me that would be a no go, spacers have been proven to work but I have never been a fan (personal opinion). Like you said the performance difference for autocross is marginal. The 4 pistons with a good pad rotor combo are more than capable of sending passengers into the dashboard :).

Unfortunately, we are wired the same!! Whatever I do I only plan to do it once and always over do it. Its a blessing and a curse at the same time, lol.

68gtscode

Established Member
Matt - I agree with you, may as well try what you have. I bet you'll be happy. Now that I have the 19's, I agree. I always felt like the 20's were a bit too much. I don't like rubber band sidewalls, so it always caused me to run 28" tires. That should have told me they were too much. My last set were 27.6" front / 28.1" rear. The 19's are 27.2 all around. As far as a rake goes, I go back and forth. I'll tell you though, when I do have it raked, I keep it on the mellow side. Currently my perches are bottomed out.

Thanks for the input! Your car looks really nice with the new wheels and suspension. I’m shocked those tires will hold your power from 2nd on concrete! Do you feel that your old suspension setup would work significantly better from a freeway roll?

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words about the appearance! I can't believe I have 11's all the way around and they tuck in.

I will say, I haven't tried from a freeway roll, but yesterday I rolled into them again in second and they stuck. Surely they'll hold from a higher speed, but... If it's not concrete?

I'm running around with a couple lbs less boost, so maybe 1050 or so?

Either way, these tires are alot of fun. I was playing around on a double lane roundabout, going back and forth, increasing speed by 5 mph each time and got up to 55 mph. This is going straight across, starting in one lane and staying in the lane, no straightening of it. It felt like there was more, but I stopped there.

Users who are viewing this thread