New way to remove tranny

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
Guys I'm going to pop out the T45 today on my 99, and I was just thinking... on our cars can you unbolt the tranny from the bell housing and remove... and then remove bell housing? I remember last time doing the bell housing and tranny as a whole was a PITA.

Thoughts? Thanks

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
boooooooooooo I thought it was too good to be true... that would be so much easier. what's different?

2001cobraguy

Established Member
they are one piece till you get the trans out just like the 3650, i am going through the removal of my 3650 right now and went into the project thinking the same thing you are. sorry my friend, not possible....good luck to you!

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
Go T56 like me :)

It makes install and removal so much easier. Put the bell housing on, bolt it up, then bolt the rest of the trans down and be done.

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
i dont know... but im thinking i need to find a t56 now. i have never really thought about it or researched it.... anyone know any good swap resources? only thing i have found so far is orange's swap thread

Scout238

Eaton Poweredddddd!!!
Established Member
i have seen those.... but i'm not sure if i particulary like the t45..... i have never owned a 6 speed though

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
I might have to....I could use the extra gear and a lower miles tranny.... hmmmmmmmmmm

Yes indeed, especially since you have an Eaton, that first gear is nice. :banana:

Is that you Cobraracer in disguise?

:lol:

You must admit though, he has an Eaton now, the car is begging for a T56.

And be sure your u joints are in there good.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
i dont know... but im thinking i need to find a t56 now. i have never really thought about it or researched it.... anyone know any good swap resources? only thing i have found so far is orange's swap thread

I have a swapped T-56. It's a piece of cake. X2C motorsports hooked me up with of course the T-56, new crossmember, and a new aluminum driveshaft. That's all you need to make the swap.

And yes, the bellhousing bolts are on the outside, making it much MUCH easier to swap out a throwout bearing or something... because all you have to do is unbolt the transmission from the bellhousing and slide it back enough to remove the throwout bearing from the shaft.

The only thing about the T-56 is that it's MUCH HEAVIER than the 5 speed variants. I could lift a T-45 up in car in my driveway by myself. I needed help from a buddy to lift and position the T-56 when I needed to remove it to swap a throwout bearing.

Homer

BTSMUSTANG

Established Member
Getting a t45 out is a PITA!!!! It took 3 guys 9 hours to get it out, replace the clutch and put it back in. The hardest part was reaching the bellhousing to engine bolts. We had to use about 4 feet of extensions to reach the top bolt with some guys pushing on the motor to give more clearance. Other then that its just a whole lot of elbow grease.

Users who are viewing this thread