New VMP Performance Heat Exchanger

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
New VMP Performance Heat Exchanger

VMP Heat Exchanger - Complete Kit
POSTED BY: SCOTT SPARROW FEBRUARY 1, 2016
VMP Performance has significantly improved their Heat Exchanger – Its lighter, fits more applications, and cools better.

The VMP Heat Exchanger fits 2015+ Mustang GTs including those with the collision avoidance system. It also fits 2013-14 GT500 Shelbys including those with the track pack auxiliary cooler and it now has improved fitment on 2011-12 GT Mustangs, and 2007-09 & 2010 GT500 Shelbys.

It is the biggest and baddest dual fan heat exchanger out there; utilizing twin 11″ Spal fans and a custom dual relay ‘Plug and Play’ harness to power them. The triple pass design ensures the lowest possible downstream air temps. It is not uncommon for customers to report temperatures that are only 20-25 degrees above ambient.

Positive displacement superchargers like those found on Shelby GT500s and Mustang GTs with Roush, Kenne Bell, Saleen, Edelbrock, and Whipple superchargers rely upon an air/water intercooler system to cool the charge air. The heat exchanger mounted low in the front grill does the brunt of the work. The factory units are often marginal, they don’t get the job done on hot days, and do not have fans for low speed cooling, such as idling in traffic, or trying to cool down in the pits. The VMP Heat Exchanger solves all of these problems with a larger, more efficient unit that has built-in fans to ensure there is always enough airflow. You would have to drive 80mph all the time to realize the airflow potential provided by the fans.

safe_image.jpg

Unrealford

Established Member
Love VMP products and assistance,

If I read this correctly I didn't see an application for 2011-2012 Shelby GT500,
I seen to 2010,, then a fitment for 13-14s.
I'm I wrong, or do the have a application just for 11-12s?

VNMOUS1

Established Member

If I read this correctly I didn't see an application for 2011-2012 Shelby GT500,

The entire line is available, but we have made some minor design changes for better fitment in the model years mentioned.

Yes, they will fit any S197.

Thanks

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member

The VMP Heat Exchanger does fit the 11-12 Shelby GT 500s.

oldstv

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2010 Roush Hammer, not sure if you know what that is and it may not matter. It came from Roush with the tvs and was only built one year. Anyway, would you happen to know if your unit will be a direct drop in replacement?

fishpick

Established Member
Hey BJ - I read the other threads about this so I'm very clear on your opinion on this :rolling: but I'm gonna ask anyhow since it's a slightly different variation and you clearly love re-hashing this :bored:...
(other thread - http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-realistic&p=15134446&viewfull=1#post15134446)

My soon to be VMP-TVS-ed 2012 GT is a vert - and the wife has blessed the charger... but with certain stipulations on cruisability (just like she did for the Kooks cat back's I added) - and the fan noise Mr. Starkey demonstrates (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNrP1ZXcr-E&feature=youtu.be&t=40s) is a concern (hang on before you think I'm going to ask about turning them off - I'm not!)

I'm thinking about designing / adding a computer controller based off a thermostat on the outflow of the exchanger that will control fan speed as needed based on effluent temps. The higher the temps - the faster the fans turn to cool things off - simple.

So - when cruising or going gently - and the coolant is "cool" - there's likely no fan if it's a gentle ride around town with the top down... if we stop at Mickey D's (like your example in the linked post above) and things warm up in the drive through or while the car sits - the controller would spool up the fans as needed until we are back down to the "safe" temps - slowly slowing them back down as the temps return to "optimal".

The technical questions are :
1) "technically" there's no issue with these SPAL fans and providing variable voltage to manage speed, right? The chart/image in the linked post you provided shows them with variable cfm - so I assume it's fine but wanted to confirm.
2) what's VMP's operating expectations of this HE? Should the effluent be 20-30 degrees above ambient all the time? Is that your design goal? Or is there a "temp" that is a target - like the VMP 93 Octane tune I'm running now where the cooling fan on the engine comes on at 170.

I totally see the value of the fans & the cooling... I'm up north where a "hot" summer for us was this year where we had 20 days over 90... since April... so - if I can minimize some fan noise and keep the wife happy - this is a "cool" project anyhow ;) (again - I'm NOT suggesting turning off the fans or manually putting a switch in there - this human has too much error to introduce) - honest thoughts are welcome to - remember it is a convertible!

Last edited:

VNMOUS1

Established Member
1. Yes, they're fine. We have hundreds and hundreds on cars...Coyotes and GT500 alike.

2. The data on these units has been available for a few years, with the triple pass being so for the past year. IAT2 operating temps on a blown car will average 30 above ambient.

It has nothing to do with a the radiator operation or its thermostat/fan.

You won't hear it if you're driving.

Stock calibrations pull timing at 110f downstream. If you have our heat exchanger, we reset that so it doesn't pull so quickly.

IAT2 is more a product of pressures than ambient air being introduced into the system, although a 90 degree blast of air certainly starts the heat cycle at a higher point. ie, it can be a 90 degree day or a 70 degree day. At the end of a 1/4 mile pass with higher boost you will not see a 20 degree swing coming out, as you did going in. Again, hot is hot and it's pressure that is heating things. Think of tap water at 75f and hot tap water at 105f. Two containers. Boil them. The cooler one will boil more quickly but at the end of the day, they're boiling.

3. Don't try to outsmart the system. You'll void your warranty and trust me, we've put a LOT of time and money into this. And yes, that's been covered a zillion times and you won't be the last.

FYI, we have a fully staffed customer support portal on our website that is monitored 24/7. I try to check this daily but don't always if I"m not around. Thus it's not the quickest way to reach anyone. Sorry it took a few days.

This is the link to our support site

http://support.vmpperformance.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Last edited:

455HO71

Established Member
BJ,
I've done the whole TVS swap and usual mods but don't have the VMP HE and instead have the AFCO unit (couldn't turn down a brand new in box price of $620). Here is my question- I just got some '14 grills for my 2011 GT500 and now have to re-locate the HE pump. A friend of mine bought the VMP HE for his 2010 and it came with the relocation kit. I see that it is sold separately for $130. I can order the kit I suppose but will it work with the AFCO as far as mounting? I just don't know if the mounting location will work on mine. Besides the bracket, do I need the rest of the kit or could I do the electrical myself and and run an extension for the hose myself and buy the bracket separately? Thanks for your help!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Sorry, just saw this. Please contact our Customer Support system when you have any questions like this or call us. I do not get notifications from this forum (they were hit and miss, so I finally just turned them off because of things like this where I don't see them) That said, we do sell the relo pack and it will work on your car.

bj

455HO71

Established Member
Thanks BJ....I will do that. I think it attaches to the bumper support from what I can see from the instructions and I'm guessing the AFCO is the same dimensions as the VMP. Thanks and see you in Carlilsle again!

Users who are viewing this thread