New Verizon Plans

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Won't affect the people who are grandfathered in data. As long as you don't renew your 2 year contract, you will be fine data wise.
Even if I get a tiered data plan, wouldn't switch, only a matter of time till the other phone company's jump in. ATT already did it, Sprint did it on their mifi/computer devices.
With that said, they should've just let us keep the unlimited 3G instead.

10splaya22

Established Member
I have had an upgrade available since March but don't want the galaxy s3 and was trying to wait for the next Motorola phone. I might just go ahead and renew the contract to keep the data then sell the phone.

rockthemullet

Established Member
Won't affect the people who are grandfathered in data. As long as you don't renew your 2 year contract, you will be fine data wise.
Even if I get a tiered data plan, wouldn't switch, only a matter of time till the other phone company's jump in. ATT already did it, Sprint did it on their mifi/computer devices.
With that said, they should've just let us keep the unlimited 3G instead.

The only issue with that is saving $300-$400 off of the newest hot shit that you get when you renew. I guess the difference has to be weighed... is the monthly savings worth purchasing your new phones outright.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'm still grand fathered in to an Alltel plan... I wonder if this will affect me as well when I decided to renew and get a new phone

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
im unlimited for another 18 months. at that time..i will prob switch. i think boost has the best bang for the buck.

Vigilante

Established Member
The only issue with that is saving $300-$400 off of the newest hot shit that you get when you renew. I guess the difference has to be weighed... is the monthly savings worth purchasing your new phones outright.

+1 full retail for a phone is gonna suck!

BlueSnake01

Established Member
+1 full retail for a phone is gonna suck!
Not too concerned about phones, don't need the latest and best nowadays. A new phone gets outdated in months, sometimes in weeks. Craiglist and Ebay have been great, sell a 2 year old phone for $100+. Buy a used (5-6 month old) great condition phone for $400-$500, end up paying close to what Verizon sells theirs at renewal (don't forget those retail taxes for us Californian's)
Lastly, I use about 10GB a month avg, paying for the hotspot. Works great as a alternative home internet. Have had almost no problems since I got it a year ago.
The last time I renewed my contract on ATT I was grandfathered in. I asked specifically.
ATT data caps grandfathered users. I believe that data cap starts somewhere after 1.5GB of usage, slows you down to edge like speeds even on 4G.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
My understanding is that even though your grandfathered into unlimited data, eventually you will have to switch.
I'm going to be switching soon, these new plans are getting too expensive for me.

edit:
Here's an article I found.
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/75141.html

Last edited:

20redfire03

Established Member
At the moment the plan Im on is $130 for 2 dumb phones and 1 smart phone, 700 shared minutes and 500 text and unlimited vzw to vzw, and unlimited data on the smartphone. If I was to switch to verzions new plan sure I would get unlimited calling/text but I'd lose my unlimited data, which we all know is limited anyways, it would be $160 plus all their taxes.

Either way verizon is screwing people over and what gets me is they are complaining about not having enough bandwidth for all the smartphones when they are the ones who pushed Smartphones down our throats and they want to charge us more and more to fix their screw up while giving us less.

Viking42

Established Member
Looks like Verizon made my mind up for me, I'm gonna renew and pre-order a Galaxy S3. I guess this phone is going to have to last me a while, unless Sprint stays unlimited and ups their service around me.

04sonicbeast

Established Member
I have Verizon iPhone 4 and I'm grandfathered in unlimited data and msgs, but I they try to raise te price on me or take unlimited data I'm switching to virgin pay as you go for 35.00 for a new iPhone.starting price! That's if I get reliable reception

BlueSnake01

Established Member
My understanding is that even though your grandfathered into unlimited data, eventually you will have to switch.
I'm going to be switching soon, these new plans are getting too expensive for me.

edit:
Here's an article I found.
Technology News: Wireless: Verizon Nixes Unlimited Data Grandfather Clause
Again, as long as you don't renew your contract, you will keep the unlimited. :beer:
At the moment the plan Im on is $130 for 2 dumb phones and 1 smart phone, 700 shared minutes and 500 text and unlimited vzw to vzw, and unlimited data on the smartphone. If I was to switch to verzions new plan sure I would get unlimited calling/text but I'd lose my unlimited data, which we all know is limited anyways, it would be $160 plus all their taxes.

Either way verizon is screwing people over and what gets me is they are complaining about not having enough bandwidth for all the smartphones when they are the ones who pushed Smartphones down our throats and they want to charge us more and more to fix their screw up while giving us less.
I don't ever remember being limited. Remember reading that you get capped once you pass 5GB and get charged or something like that but that was on 3G (I personally never passed 3GB even if I tried :lol1:) On 4G I once went a bit over 25GB and a couple of times passed 15GB's, no cap, no charge, and no call from Verizon.

Mjavant1985

Figgy (Cam) Newton
Established Member
I have Verizon iPhone 4 and I'm grandfathered in unlimited data and msgs, but I they try to raise te price on me or take unlimited data I'm switching to virgin pay as you go for 35.00 for a new iPhone.starting price! That's if I get reliable reception

I have virgin mobile now, and am waiting for their Iphone on June 28th but am not happy about full retail of $549 for it though. If you do get the Iphone with them and sign up for automated pay with debit/credit card its only $30/month for the 300 minute/ unlimited text & data plan

Service is spotty where i am at on their coverage map i should have average signal at my house but most of the time have to walk to a window/door to have decent signal.

hoamskilet

Established Member
As I said in the other thread....these ass clowns have seen their last signature of mine on one of their contracts

20redfire03

Established Member
Again, as long as you don't renew your contract, you will keep the unlimited. :beer:

I don't ever remember being limited. Remember reading that you get capped once you pass 5GB and get charged or something like that but that was on 3G (I personally never passed 3GB even if I tried :lol1:) On 4G I once went a bit over 25GB and a couple of times passed 15GB's, no cap, no charge, and no call from Verizon.

I think I have been limited once and I was under 2GB because for about 10 days got 3G very little in places where I had it all the time and once the billing cycle rolled over it was all better. I typically use between 1-2GB and that depends on how much music I stream.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
verizon is crap. i hate my service but I have to wait til march '13 to switch providers so I dont have to pay the $100 cancellation fee

Planter

Banned
im unlimited for another 18 months. at that time..i will prob switch. i think boost has the best bang for the buck.

but do they have the best signal where you are? their signal here sucks.

verizon is crap. i hate my service but I have to wait til march '13 to switch providers so I dont have to pay the $100 cancellation fee

more reliable than sprint or at&t...im not even throwing t-mobile in the conversation...that company won't exist in another 10 years. faster network, more signal coverage than any other provider.

att has a fast network, but you usually can't get a decent signal everywhere you go. I can go back into the hills of Tennessee where other carriers don't have any coverage, and my Verizon phone works where others won't.

i just wonder how long we have to wait for cell phone service to become obsolete and satellite phones take over? gps is available , and they have all these other technologies, and satellite tv, so why not add sat phone abilities to those satellites and put Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, and T-Mobile all out of business?

Users who are viewing this thread