New Vehicle Prices...

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Ford EV sales advanced 184% in May
  • Ford Motor (F +1.3%) reports U.S. sales increased 4.1% to 161,725 vehicles in May. YTD sales grew 11.3%.
  • Electrified vehicle sales soared 184% to 10,364 units.
  • Truck sales squeezed 11.6% to 75,665 units, Car sales -62.4% to 5,926 units and SUVs +48.6% to 80,134 units.
  • Total retail sales -11.1%: Truck -27.9%, Cars -63.2% and SUV +28.9%.
  • F-Series sales up 4.7% on sales of 316,359 trucks.
  • With tight inventories, F-Series continues to turn at record rates.
  • Mustang Mach-E sales totaled 1,945, F-150 PowerBoost sales totaled 2,852, while Escape electrified sales totaled 3,617.
  • Lincoln SUVs posted record sales result for the month with 24% growth on the sale if 7,871 units.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
3189_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=-fOi9QMaXyEAX8sgTZz&_nc_ht=scontent-yyz1-1.jpg

on a mustang gt

dunndeal

Established Member
In 2015 I started my search for a new car,,, #1 choice was a 350GT. I found one in Livermore (50 miles east of San Francisco) the MSRP was $57k plus a $20k markup.
I said to the salesman "You will probably get it but not from me".
I bought a Porsche Cayman.

5.0 Hatch

Established Member
My small town dealer usually has around 30 or so f-series and a few other SUVs. Typically only a couple used newer f150s. Now zero new vehicles and the lot is partially filled with what looks to be rejects from Joe blows affordable cars.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
New inventory on local lots seems to be at a low point right now. I feel for anyone turning in a lease or trying to buy new.

This Ford Dealer Normally Stocks 1500 Cars; Now They Have 30 (caranddriver.com)

Problem I see too then is with dealers not being able to sell enough cars, they're gonna be laying off people and if long enough, shutting doors. Snowballing up to the mfgr chain with them producing less cars, buying less parts/materials, employing less assemblers, etc.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Problem I see too then is with dealers not being able to sell enough cars, they're gonna be laying off people and if long enough, shutting doors. Snowballing up to the mfgr chain with them producing less cars, buying less parts/materials, employing less assemblers, etc.

The chains will just gobble up the independents at a faster rate.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The bust is coming. Bet your ass on it.

Those that stow some cash away and have the patience to wait will be rewarded nicely.

All this shit is cyclical, always is.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Yup, big time

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Higher prices spark the auto retailer sector
  • Cox Automotive says tight inventory of automobiles in the U.S. is not noticeably impacting sales, particularly on the used-vehicle side. "In fact, the monthly retail used-vehicle sales pace – apart from two dismal months in spring 2020 – has been remarkably consistent since early 2019. The only shift has been the big jump in average listing prices," notes the firm. The chart below from Cox Automotive indicates a strong pricing trend right through the end of May.
    saupload_auto_thumb1.png
  • Auto industry inventory hit a record low near the end of May, down 43% from the 2020 level and off 54% from the 2019 level, in a trend that may take months to reverse.
  • Auto retailer stocks are seeing strong year-to-date returns, led by AutoNation (NYSE:AN) +35%, America's Car-Mart (NASDAQ:CRMT) +34%, Penske Auto Group (NYSE:PAG) +32%, CarMax (NYSE:KMX) +26%, Asbury Automotive Group (NYSE:ABG) +19% and Group 1 Automotive (NYSE:GPI) +18%.
  • What to watch: The huge electrification push by General Motors and other major automakers is expected to eventually also disrupt the used car market.

smitty2919

Established Member
In 2015 I started my search for a new car,,, #1 choice was a 350GT. I found one in Livermore (50 miles east of San Francisco) the MSRP was $57k plus a $20k markup.
I said to the salesman "You will probably get it but not from me".
I bought a Porsche Cayman.

You can't fix stupid. People willingly paying $10+k over what the damn thing is worth is just asinine. How often do you NEED a new vehicle and can't simply wait for things to normalize? But hey, not my car, not my wallet not my problem!

Going to be funny when paying that much over sticker only for the car to "depreciate" MUCH quicker when the part supply gets fixed.

Car market and housing market will take a huge dump...just a matter of time.

noco5.0

Established Member
Saw this interesting update from John Clay Wolfe the owner of GivemetheVin.com commenting on wholesale used car prices.

We see market moves way before the press catches up. However, for those who care, we sold our thousand cars today and the car fever has cooled off in this heat. The car wholesale market was oversold huge, many took advantage and sold their used cars to companies like GivemetheVIN.com carmax and Carvana for at or more than they paid for it 1-2-3 yrs ago. Like lumber market, it just got goofy, and still is very high, higher today than years prior, but the helium balloon popped today. If you want to know what your blah blah blah is worth, I can tell you about 8% less this afternoon than before the automotive exchange bell rang in the 5 GMTV trading posts in Dallas Texas this morning. We set the market right here in the middle of the US. Some days are smiles, some are frowns. When you plan for the frowns, it’s not surprising. When a 3 year old Toyota Tacoma is selling at wholesale auction for the MSRP price it had on its window 3 and 4 YEARS ago, that shit ain’t sustainable. I read in the journal where lumber prices coming down quickly too. I think it’s good, hyper inflation is bad. I wrote about it few months ago when the used market when sky high, said yes we were making record profits but at what true inflationary cost? Like all capital markets, they tend to correct themselves, and hopefully that’s what we’re seeing starting now. TTYL
1f44b_1f3ff.png

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Saw this interesting update from John Clay Wolfe the owner of GivemetheVin.com commenting on wholesale used car prices.

We see market moves way before the press catches up. However, for those who care, we sold our thousand cars today and the car fever has cooled off in this heat. The car wholesale market was oversold huge, many took advantage and sold their used cars to companies like GivemetheVIN.com carmax and Carvana for at or more than they paid for it 1-2-3 yrs ago. Like lumber market, it just got goofy, and still is very high, higher today than years prior, but the helium balloon popped today. If you want to know what your blah blah blah is worth, I can tell you about 8% less this afternoon than before the automotive exchange bell rang in the 5 GMTV trading posts in Dallas Texas this morning. We set the market right here in the middle of the US. Some days are smiles, some are frowns. When you plan for the frowns, it’s not surprising. When a 3 year old Toyota Tacoma is selling at wholesale auction for the MSRP price it had on its window 3 and 4 YEARS ago, that shit ain’t sustainable. I read in the journal where lumber prices coming down quickly too. I think it’s good, hyper inflation is bad. I wrote about it few months ago when the used market when sky high, said yes we were making record profits but at what true inflationary cost? Like all capital markets, they tend to correct themselves, and hopefully that’s what we’re seeing starting now. TTYL
View attachment 1708223

Until dealers have new inventory, hard to see the used values subsiding.

Users who are viewing this thread