New TV time

TaraFirma

Established Member
The wife and I think it’s time for a new TV. Currently we have a 65 inch Sharp Aquos that we got back in like 08. At the time it was the biggest you could get and was pricey. Now looking at LED and OLED 65 or bigger For the replacement. Love the way the OLED looks, but the only thing bigger seems to be LG’s 77 inch and it’s like $6k. May have to compromise with a standard led if we want to go bigger.
What’s SVTP’S thoughts on the current offerings in the world of 65+ inch tv’s? What do you have, and what do you like/dislike about them?

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Samsung is top of the line. Very good friend of mine is in the electronic distribution industry and this is what he tells me constantly.
I've had my 65" Samsung for years and loved it. I'm going to step it up to 4k oled in the near future.

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm still rocking my 50" Panny Plasma from 2011, but am going to be replacing it in the near future.

More likely than not, I'll go with a 65" Samsung OLED.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I have 3 Samsungs and 3 Vizios in my house. The picture is noticeably different between the two. The Samsungs are the higher end, I can't remember which series? But if I had 6 Vizios, I wouldn't even know any better.

Our main used TV is in the master bedroom. It's an 75" Samsung Q80R, and it kicks ass. I think it was about $5k or so. But like I said, if I hadn't of had two of the newer Samsungs already, I would've went with a Vizio P-Series 75". For the money, it's incredibly hard to beat.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I've thought about this quite a bit, while I'd prefer a 75" tv, I think I would rather have a better picture OLED 65" than a 75" LED.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The last two Samsungs we had were horrible after a little over 2 years with each. One had a sound issue and the other a main board issue. They fixed the sound issue and one week after the part warranty expired it went, again. They wanted me to spend another $500+ to fix it again. Nope! Glad some of you have had good luck with Samsung. I will never buy another.

My last two TVs were LG 55" OLEDs and the picture quality is/was beyond awesome. Can't beat the picture quality from OLED. Nice DEEP blacks. So if it were me, I'd happily snag one of the three 65" LG OLEDs they offer.

OLED65C9PUA - $3,499.99 suggested retail
OLED65E9PUA - $4,299.99 suggested retail
OLED65W8PUA- $6,999.99 suggested retail

LG is just my own personal preference. Whichever brand you decide to go with, I HIGHLY recommend that you stick with OLED. You will not be disappointed.

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65C9PUA-oled-4k-tv#reviews

08mojo

Established Member
I have 3 Samsungs and 3 Vizios in my house. The picture is noticeably different between the two. The Samsungs are the higher end, I can't remember which series? But if I had 6 Vizios, I wouldn't even know any better.

Our main used TV is in the master bedroom. It's an 75" Samsung Q80R, and it kicks ass. I think it was about $5k or so. But like I said, if I hadn't of had two of the newer Samsungs already, I would've went with a Vizio P-Series 75". For the money, it's incredibly hard to beat.

^This... For me, unless the two tv's are side by side, I am not going to miss anything other than the overall screen size. We have a 60" samsung plasma that has been our main tv for 8+ years now. I added a tv in a secondary room and it's a cheap 70" vizio that I picked up new for less than $1k a year or two ago. Yes, the picture is better on the samsung plasma, but i don't miss the picture quality when I watch the secondary tv. What I do miss is the size when I watch the primary tv.

colin450

Established Member
I went with the 65" LG OLED instead of something bigger in LED. Watching something in HDR or Dolby Vision is unreal, you won't regret it. Keep an eye out for sales on the LG too. I bought mine around November last year so that model TV was done at the end of the year, got a decent discount on it.

colin450

Established Member
Also, not sure if this is still true, but I know at one point LG was making all of the displays for any company that had OLED.

08mojo

Established Member
To further my opinion. TV technology is getting cheaper by the year...and better. I'd buy a cheap(er) tv and put the rest of the budget towards the stereo. Prices for speakers/receivers/amps are pretty stable. I'd feel a bit foolish for spending $6k on a tv today that I could pick up for less than half of that price in 2-3 years.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I'm a bit of a TV snob (look back through old TV threads I'm sure I posted in most of them). I thought I'd never like a TV better than my 65VT60 Panasonic Plasma and then OLED finally came along. I have a 77" LG C8 OLED and it is amazing. Like @colin450 posted above, HDR/Dolby Vision is awesome on it. I have it in my media room and mainly watch movies and sports on it. There's a reason it's the best picture CNET ever tested.

Blown 89

Established Member
My Panasonic Plasma is still kicking and eating lots of electricity.
Mine too. I'm holding off on an OLED until my panny dies.

Hit the internet for tech reviews. If you ask here you'll get nothing but a bunch of people making blind recommendations based on subjective reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread