New to SHO not to SVT

DarthMuppet

CSVT = Happiness
Established Member
I have a 98 CSVT and know quite a bit about them. I have just recently have come into a situation to pick up a 94 SHO with 150k on it. I wont be buying it, instead trading a 91 3.1L Camaro with 87k on it. The only reason I am considering the trade is because I prefer 4 door cars. Im just leery about it due to it having twice as many miles. Other than the mileage it seems to be in good shape, it shifts fine and feels fine. The only thing I noticed is the oil is leaking onto the exhaust but the guy says its because of a bad oil pan gasket. The reason Im posting is to ask what the more common problems are with these cars to look for (i.e. Water pump on the CSVT's) Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

SinisterSHO

Machine of Hate
Established Member
Not many SHO owners around here, so you might not get a reply in one day.

The SHOs with the Yamaha engines need to have a 60k service done. Water pump, timing belt, misc sensor and a valve lash are usually done at this time. Bad motor mounts are something to look for, usually obvious because of a nice wear mark on the front of the intake. The biggest things you would want to replace would be the water pump (t-belt while your there) crank and cam sensors. Anything else that could fail is pretty straight forward and not terribly time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread